Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2232 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Do clients care about organized PSD's?

Thread title: Do clients care about organized PSD's?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
01-03-2010, 08:54 AM
hjalmar is offline hjalmar
Expertise:
Software:

hjalmar is an unknown quantity at this point

Old  Do clients care about organized PSD's?

Spoofing over some threads here at TFL i see people recommend this person some others that... etc. (other general threads and not just someone liking someone)

Now i've taken over, modifying, adding on to, final products delivered(by alot of 'designers' here) and it has always been been shit. (sorry for offending someone but their work sucks in terms of organizing layers and keeping psd's clean and un-merged layers)

I just like to see from the buyers perspective how they feel about it. Would you pay another $20 to have nicely organized PSD files (1-2h, that is what i spend on colorcoding my layersets and naming every single layers, sometime over 500 easly).

thoughts?

(I dont't care if the work sucks or not, it's more of the flexibility to edit things in the design)

Thanked by:
Jeff Andersen (01-03-2010)
01-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Jordan is offline Jordan
Expertise: CSS, HTML, PHP
Software: Sublime Text 2

Jordan is on a distinguished road

Old

Need an organized PSD. You can't expect someone to wad through 400+ different shapes, types, layers yadda yadda yadda.

I actually purchased a PSD or two from.. someone here and his PSDs are really messy like that. I prefer being able to say "I need to edit the font for the nav.." *looks under header > navigation. QUICK. painless. no headaches.

Thanked by 2 users:
HamburgerHelper (01-03-2010), Jeff Andersen (01-03-2010)
01-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Garyrae is offline Garyrae
Expertise:
Software:

Garyrae is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garyrae Send a message via Skype™ to Garyrae

Old

I've worked with your PSDs in the past, and the organisation did make my life a lot easier.

Opening up a heavily layered PSD with no structure to it at all is a nightmare.

Whether I would pay for it depends on the overall price of the design though. If it's only a $100 premade 1-page jobbie, I'd be hesitant to pay the extra 20%.

I do think some sort of folder system should be provided, regardless.

Thanked by:
01-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I structure folders but dont find it necessary to name every layer, although I do color code what needs emphasizing.

I'd expect the designer to structure layers in a system that makes it easy to understand but I wouldn't pay them any extra amount to do so. The same way I'd expect a coder to use comments when appropriate.

Thanked by:
01-03-2010, 10:50 AM
AndyR is offline AndyR
Expertise:
Software:

AndyR is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to AndyR

Old

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Need an organized PSD. You can't expect
I actually purchased a PSD or two from.. someone here and his PSDs are really messy like that.
May have been me

Thanked by:
01-03-2010, 10:50 AM
hjalmar is offline hjalmar
Expertise:
Software:

hjalmar is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Need an organized PSD. You can't expect someone to wad through 400+ different shapes, types, layers yadda yadda yadda.
Thats pretty normal, even in-house on a reputable firm they expect you(can only speak for myself) as a frontender to just make it happen the best possible way from the crappy work from the designer. (in terms of keeping things intact and sliceable in the best optimal way).

Originally Posted by Garyrae
Whether I would pay for it depends on the overall price of the design though. If it's only a $100 premade 1-page jobbie, I'd be hesitant to pay the extra 20%.
Seeing that this marketplace doesn't stretch nowhere near $100 mark no matter what design i should rather spend my 2 hours doing other productive stuff than wasting it on shit people only see as a bonus?

Originally Posted by Dan
I'd expect the designer to structure layers in a system that makes it easy to understand but I wouldn't pay them any extra amount to do so. The same way I'd expect a coder to use comments when appropriate.
So you want it but don't want to pay for it?(it's 2 more hours. *edit* each ofcourse *edit*) Lets say you hire me for a project before it even starts. I say for 5 pages PSD i'll want $500, 5 un-organized files and $600 for highly organized.. what would you choose?

Thanked by:
01-03-2010, 10:54 AM
HamburgerHelper is offline HamburgerHelper
Expertise:
Software:

HamburgerHelper is on a distinguished road

Old

I actually purchased a PSD or two from.. someone here and his PSDs are really messy like that. I prefer being able to say "I need to edit the font for the nav.." *looks under header > navigation. QUICK. painless. no headaches.
I absolutely agree! I hate wadding through tons of unorganized layers. Argh!

Thanked by:
01-03-2010, 11:34 AM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by hjalmar View Post
So you want it but don't want to pay for it?(it's 2 more hours. *edit* each ofcourse *edit*) Lets say you hire me for a project before it even starts. I say for 5 pages PSD i'll want $500, 5 un-organized files and $600 for highly organized.. what would you choose?
I honestly dont see why the designer should be charging for this, if anything they should be naming layers as they go to make it easier for themself.

If you knock off $100 for unnamed layers I can live with this. (:

Thanked by:
01-03-2010, 12:04 PM
46Bit is offline 46Bit
Expertise: Web Development
Software:

46Bit is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to 46Bit Send a message via Skype™ to 46Bit

Old

Clients, doubtful since many of them probably can't even open the files. Coders, YES.

As for a higher price, not going to happen since the client doesn't really care and all that can happen is the coder comes back and says the psd is such a mess that they can't work with it, in which case the client will just find someone else probably.

Thanked by:
01-03-2010, 12:09 PM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup
Software: Photoshop

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

Organised layers by naming them and putting them in folders should be a mandatory rule by the designer. I do this with 'all' of my work and do it whilst im designing. It takes literally 2 seconds for each layer i do. It makes future modifications by 'anyone' much more easier.

I don't class this as an extra service, it comes automatically and within the price.

I have found quite a few designers here and in other places that do not even bother naming layers, they might put them in to folders, folders may even be in the wrong order, but never have i seen someone name the layers to date.

Those that don't organise and name layers accordingly, are somewhat poor designers.

Thanked by 2 users:
HamburgerHelper (01-03-2010), Jeff Andersen (01-03-2010)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >