Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 872 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion     Member Website Announcements :

Attach.io, a new way to simply share files

Thread title: Attach.io, a new way to simply share files
08-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Sam Granger is offline Sam Granger
Expertise:
Software:

Sam Granger is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Sam Granger

Old  Attach.io, a new way to simply share files

Clicky: http://attach.io

After a lot of work, I'm proud to show my first real "startup idea". Attach.io allows users to upload files up to 2GB (soon to be 8GB) and share them with others.

Attach.io offers the regular file for download, and also if possible, an alternative preview version, so users can view files on their iPad for example.

PSD files get converted to PNG AVI, WMV etc... to MP4 EPS/AI to PDF DOC(X), PPT(X) etc... to PDF

This is a sneak preview, and is not 100% complete.

Things I still have on my ToDo list:

Allow users to email link to others, currently they have to copy/paste (not clear for non-tech people).

Add a convert in progress with ETA for preview files. At the moment, a preview button will only be shown when a preview file is available/convert is complete.

Add the ability to pause/resume uploads.

Add warning when files above 2GB are added to the list.

MP4 files can currently only be played in Safari & iPad. This should be resolved within the next few days.

Possibly convert other filetypes too, any suggestions?

Note: This is a one man show, I designed & programmed everything myself, with the exception of the background image. I'm more of a programmer though than a designer.

My current expenses: .io domain: $100 (Name.com) & background image: $2 (Graphic River), Total: $102

Attach.io is currently running on one dedicated server. I will be getting new strong servers after the Alpha stage.

All feedback & criticism is appreciated. I have only tested this in Firefox, Chrome & Safari on the Mac, so if there are any render issues, please link a screenshot to me, or send an email to hello@attach.io

I have also posted this on HN, some feedback from others can be seen here: http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4450949

09-01-2012, 07:18 PM
AdamPTF is offline AdamPTF
Expertise: Design, HTML, XHTML, HTML5
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++

AdamPTF is on a distinguished road

Old

Hi, I really liked the look of it. I tested it out too with a blank zip file just to see what would happen, and it worked pretty seemlessly. Perhaps you could introduce a number of different backgrounds everytime you load the page? Something a little extra to present it better perhaps. Overall i really like it.

09-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Sam, love the site and the presentation. Good job.

A few of things:

1. I'd cut the time that it takes to go through file upload in half by eliminating the step that gets you to a page to just inform the person the file was attached: "Whooohooo, your files have been attached!" page. It is an unnecessary step, so minimize the number of clicks it takes.

2. Add some kind of notice to when the file upload reaches 100% to inform the user the site is redirecting them. I uploaded a small graphic and it took a few seconds before I was redirected, so I started to click around before it happened, not knowing whether I had to click somewhere.

3. Introduce encryption and security of some kind. For those transferring sensitive files, it will add to their peace of mind to know their files are safe (and inform people how they are handled: how long they are kept on the server, etc).

4. Make sure all kinds of licensing is proper (conversions to PDFs, etc).

5. To minimize abuse, I'd suggest blocking it in certain geographical locations.

These kind of sites will pick up quickly, however, the challenge is to make money on them.

05-03-2013, 12:03 AM
david_of_makurl is offline david_of_makurl
Expertise: programming/design
Software: notepad,microsoft paint

david_of_makurl is on a distinguished road

Old

i like the design, i'm not really sure what to do after attaching the file though