Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1263 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

website folder structure related doubt

Thread title: website folder structure related doubt
11-09-2011, 01:22 AM
karthikjayraj is offline karthikjayraj
Software:

karthikjayraj is on a distinguished road

Old  website folder structure related doubt

Hello,

I am finally creating a website on my own(based on php and JS and Ajax) . I have pretty much completed the site. And now am just cleaning all the code and making sure all functionality are working right and also making some performance and "look and feel" related changes.

Well now I am in a bit of dilemma. I have written nearly 70-80 pages of php based codes. now that I am trying to restructure(which I should have done while designing-but pardon me) all the codes based on different functionality
Current I have the following :-

Member functionality - member related codes
e commerce functionality -related codes
products - - related codes
Admin- Related codes

Is it advisable to create separate folders under the parent folder for each functionality like above ?
or dump all the codes under the root folder and if so then would it not cause delay in page loads? if kept in different folders ?

hope you got my question.

thanks for taking time to read.
Jay

11-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Dr John is offline Dr John
Software:

Dr John is on a distinguished road

Old

Being in different folders or in the same folder will have absolutely zero affect on the time to load a page!!!

Organising your work by topic into folders will make it easier to find things, and given the number of files and sections you have, you should have done this a long time ago. Being properly organised really helps. That's why everyone with at least half a brain puts their images in one folder, JS/Jquery scripts in another, and leaves the basic hmtl in the root. so you may also want to consider where the images go - all in one folder, or an images folder within each topic folder? Perhaps the common images used in every section should be in one folder, to avoid duplication, and then the section specific images as sub folders within each section. Probably ditto for JS scripts