Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1854 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

When is enough actually enough?

Thread title: When is enough actually enough?
Closed Thread    
04-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old  When is enough actually enough?

When is enough actually ENOUGH

As a freelancer you have to ask yourself what your limits are. If you're being messed about by a client it is essential to know when to 'fire' them. Effectively that's what you're doing, when you cease business with them.

Over the course of the past 28 days I've had to 'fire' two of my clients. Both for pure lack of communication and tardiness when it comes to deadlines and dates.

This is one thing which I will not tolerate. For the past 12 months now on projects I have been delivering them on deadline, to and above the expected standard. Why should I alter my timetable to work around a tardy and in some respects NON RESPONDANT client? I shouldn't. I issue a final statement saying that if I hear no reply or feedback on the work by a certain date, I will cease the project.

This means that the client does NOT have the right to have their deposit refunded, as this is why it's paid in the first place. Although don't be mistaken, I allow for plenty of time before I issue these kinds of statements to them.

I'm just wondering some of your related experiences with clients and customers, and how you dealt with them.

04-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Lewis Malpas is offline Lewis Malpas
Expertise:
Software:

Lewis Malpas is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Lewis Malpas

Old

Same as you have done, I've only done in once and it was only a small deposit. Theres nothing else you really can do mate.

04-06-2005, 03:19 PM
BlaineSch is offline BlaineSch
Expertise: Web Applications
Software: Notepad++

BlaineSch is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to BlaineSch Send a message via MSN to BlaineSch Send a message via Yahoo to BlaineSch Send a message via Skype™ to BlaineSch

Old

Enough is enough when you can't take it anymore. Which by the way I have never turned down anybody. Probally cause i've only had 2 clients.

04-06-2005, 10:01 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

That's the thing though.

This isn't really based on client amount. I suppose knowing what I know now I'll make sure that the client is punctual before they send a security deposit.

04-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

I think there has to me a median, i mean the client wants YOUR work so they should make an effort for you just as you are making an effort for them. At the end of the day if youv'e done everything you can for them you can't just sit around forever waiting for them to respond when they feel like it, you did what you had to do. Good descions imo

04-07-2005, 09:09 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

This is why deposits and such are needed, I'll admit though...i'm a great client! Anyone who does work for me...should know that. I always pay well and more often than not will tip the designer/programmer for their services. However, i've had more problems with people working for me than clients. Enough is enough when you're more bothered about their design than they are. I would always ask for a 50% upfront deposit and measure progress along the way, if you think things are heading in the wrong direction then have a quiet word and try and get things back on track.

04-12-2005, 03:43 AM
mnc is offline mnc
Expertise:
Software:

mnc is on a distinguished road

Old

unfortunately everyone does not have the same work ethic or idea of "time" but this does not make them a bad client...

rather then cut a client I push them back... further down the priority list and I let them know... sometimes we can work something out further down the road which is ideal because a) you already started the project and b) the client is already "won"

I try my best not to cut off my nose to spite my face... though if the client is a jerk then I discontinue the project swiftly...

04-12-2005, 08:33 AM
developer_x is offline developer_x
Expertise:
Software:

developer_x is on a distinguished road

Old

I'm fed up with the clients who are not punctual, not willing to pay on time and who feel no shame in asking for free things. Like I'm doing task 'a' and they would ask me politely if I can also do task 'b' which they consider a part of task 'a' and they also think that its a pretty simple task.
Once I finish this project, I would love to just 'fire' such annoying clients.

04-13-2005, 03:45 AM
ChiTownmedia is offline ChiTownmedia
Expertise:
Software:

ChiTownmedia is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to ChiTownmedia Send a message via MSN to ChiTownmedia

Old

It is good to deliver a notice requiring communication and or payment which will expire within no less then 2 weeks. Also, its best to send this notice via certified mail if you think someone may dispute your keeping the deposit. In addition you should make sure your terms and conditions page clearly states you reserve the right to do so.

Closed Thread