Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1126 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Blogging and Community Building :

k4BB RETURNS!

Thread title: k4BB RETURNS!
Closed Thread    
04-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Will2 is offline Will2
Expertise:
Software:

Will2 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Will2

Old  k4BB RETURNS!

Some people may have heard of k4BB before, it was a bulletin board system that was being coded back in 05-early 06. Progress had stopped as the developers and I lost interest. Recently, I decided to try to finish kinking out reported bugs (progress stopped after version 2.0 RC1 was released). I'm now proud to present the new and improved k4BB that is available to download. The most original feature it holds is a CSS toggler. The skins are only coded in CSS which makes them a little simpilar but we took care of that. Images can be uploaded and customly coded into the board with ease. Other then that, the toggler allows you to click on an area of the skin and it shows what CSS classes are relavent to it. You can also directly edit them there. The toggler is available in the ACP.

For a preview of the software, please look here: http://freshstudios.org/test2/upload

If the skin looks funny (the standard is really simple) it's because we are developing a better way to skin it. Downloads are available at http://startus.net and I appreciate all feedback. Read the article on it at Start Us for more info.

04-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Lucas is offline Lucas
Software:

Lucas is on a distinguished road

Old

Where you the original creator of this BB? I remember it.

04-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Will2 is offline Will2
Expertise:
Software:

Will2 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Will2

Old

Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Where you the original creator of this BB? I remember it.
One of four. Enjoy the new version.

04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Immersion is offline Immersion
Software:

Immersion is on a distinguished road

Old

Was Peter not the main one?
He rewrote the file arts library to make it better. Does this still use the old one?

Were plugins ever implimented?

04-14-2008, 05:22 PM
c4st is offline c4st
Expertise:
Software:

c4st is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to c4st Send a message via MSN to c4st Send a message via Skype™ to c4st

Old

I'm really happy that he's taken an interest in it and is continuing its development. If he needs any support, the unreleased new skin idea, or as-of-yet unreleased code, go to my blog at http://ioreader.com
Peter Goodman, aka "k4st"

I'm also happy that your taking the initiative to revive our project. Like Peter said, there is also a unreleased version of K4BB that you may be interested in. The code is much neater and sits on top of a newer version of FileArts. If you need any support, feel free to contact me also.

Edit: I'm curious to know what you have changed or added so far.

04-15-2008, 01:07 AM
b1ind is offline b1ind
Software:

b1ind is on a distinguished road

Old

Hello Will,

I am Geoff, the creator of FileArts and the brother of Peter, the creator of k4bb. I am glad that you have taken a renewed interest in our old hobby. However, I am a little confused about your online statements.

Originally Posted by Will2 View Post
One of four. Enjoy the new version.
You claim to be "One of four" of the original developers. This is patently false knowing that my brother and I developed this together in our free time. Neither he nor I remember a Will helping us. Perhaps you could clarify if you went by some alias at the time that we might be familiar with.

I took the liberty to download your 'new' beta of k4bb to see what, if any, changes you have made. As I was looking through the modification timestamps, I noticed that only a very select few files had been changed since 2006. On a hunch, my brother did a diff of your 'release' compared to a copy from the BerliOS repository. I would encourage people to have a look at http://codepad.org/POfsdML2 to see the output.

What has changed? Peter's copyrights on some files have been changed to Will's without a single substantive change. Other changes include binary changes to thumbs.db (oops, another Windows developer). The final two noted changes are in header and footer templates/graphics in the same dubious vein as the aforementioned changes.

Perhaps, I am way off-base and there is something very innocuous going on here but I am worried that this may be an abuse of the open source philosophy and my brother and my hard work.

Please explain,

Geoff Goodman (b1ind)

Closed Thread