Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 707 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Client Help

Thread title: Client Help
Closed Thread    
11-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old  Client Help

Well, my web design teacher directed to me someone who is looking for a student to design her a new and improved website. She is a professional speaker or something of the sort and has a business which relies on her website for future clients to get a good impression of her. She is really just looking for a free web design job and give the person credit on the site, but she is willing to pay if the student does a great job..

Originally, she wants a fully functional site with PHP coding and all the tidbits, but I am saying I can't do that to my teacher. Also, she wants a whole new identity, some flash work and advanced HTML/CSS/JavaScript coding.

From my standpoint of being a student who doesn't do webdesign work for clients, should I pick up this project just doing the design and html/css coding for free and possibly getting paid?

I told my teacher that since I couldn't do the PHP/Logo, I could direct her to SitePoint contests forum, and a top-notch PHP coder so she can get the rest of her site done.

Would you bother? (Just keep in mind I'm a student who does minimal design work)

11-20-2006, 03:37 PM
scrappy is offline scrappy
Expertise:
Software:

scrappy is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to scrappy

Old

Personally I would do it, but considering you are a student, and it is a friend of your teacher I would not bother.

If you do a good job, then great, if you don't then it may look bad on you, and you don't want things like that to effect your student life.

I would direct the teachers friend to somewhere like this site in which she can advertise her post.

She is obviously expecting a lot, and not willing to pay, so I would not bother. Tight bitch!

11-20-2006, 03:38 PM
cpr is offline cpr
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I probably wouldn't bother, seems to me she's just trying to take advantage because you're a student. For what she's expecting (php, identity etc) she's having a laugh. I'd straight out ask for payment for any work done or nothing at all.

In the time it would take you, you could probably find one or two paid clients.

11-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old

Well, the problem is, cpr, is that I don't do design work, so I though this would be a good segway into designing again, just to practice. Sure, if I were to do this, I wouldn't tell her that and demand payment.

She liked the work by: http://terralever.com/default.aspx However, said that their pricing was "astronomical." I'm not sure how much they charge, but it can't be more than an average professional company charges (a few thousand). I would probably charge a few hundred, then more if I were to do the PHP. However, I'm possibly not sure.

11-20-2006, 04:33 PM
cpr is offline cpr
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Ah right ok, i sensed from your first post that you weren't looking to get back into design, if I was in your position I'd perhaps tell her that your not willing to do it for free but would do it for a reduced price.

11-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

You got referred as a 'kid.' If they wanted to not pay peanuts, they wouldn't of asked for a kid.

11-20-2006, 07:08 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

bennett's right.

Closed Thread