Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1204 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Freelance or Employment

Thread title: Freelance or Employment
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
07-30-2004, 04:16 AM
stoavio is offline stoavio
Software:

stoavio is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to stoavio Send a message via MSN to stoavio

Old

Interesting job Shady.

07-30-2004, 04:41 AM
knux is offline knux
Expertise:
Software:

knux is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to knux Send a message via AIM to knux Send a message via MSN to knux

Old

Being 16, I have a lot to do during my school year to get into a collage I want to make my future successful. So during the year the option of working for an employer just isn't there. I wouldnt have the dedication it takes.
That is why I chose to be a freelance designer. That and I can't bring my skills to the table that are up to par with the employers needs. I find it alot more fun being a freelance designer because I dont always like doing a 'hosting template'. I like doing logos and unique designs, for unique sites you dont see everyday. Also when that happens, I usually get a referral, a good testimonial, or asked to work for them again. (Or a combination of 2/3 of those.)

I also wouldnt like working for an employer at the moment because I wouldn't like not having my name at the bottom of the site as oposed to the companys name im working for. Also their is always communications. If a customer wants a template done for $5 and my employer says do this template for 3$, im not making all the money that I would have if I got that employee myself. (Made up numbers, I wouldn't do anything for $5)

shadyz- How do you guys model those pens?

07-30-2004, 05:49 AM
Software:

Old

Yes indeedy. Freelancing is good

07-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Trevsweb
Expertise:
Software:

Old

how much to make me a scull pen?

07-30-2004, 02:45 PM
Travis is offline Travis
Software:

Travis is on a distinguished road

Old

I have been employed in other industries before not relating to the web development business. However I did do work experience for a local web development firm and got to experience what it is like to be employed in this web development to a degree. Most of my work has been freelance programming and this has seemed to be the best option for me at the moment as I mostly work part time while studying.

If it wasn't for forums like this, I may have not formed the networks that I have and taken this path in web development. Unfortunately there was a steep learning curve where most learning has come from mistakes. This includes being scammed, not being paid and sometimes being underpaid for your work.

There are certainly advantages and disadvantages for freelancing. For starters advantages include variable work hours, working on your own terms and possibly working from home. The disadvantages of this is that variable work hours can disrupt your daily routine of sleep and eating as it is easy to work through out the day with many breaks rather then for a solid amount of time like being employeed. As a freelancer you do not soak up the knowledge of more experienced workers, but forums like these do help. Lastly working from home can get boring and it is good to get out of the house and be sociable.

Eventually I think I would like to be employeed and being a freelancer is just for a part time job and to get some work experience while I am studying.

07-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Anthony is offline Anthony
Expertise:
Software:

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Anthony

Old

Good points made Travis, thanks for posting them!

Going back to what you said about being able to sleep, eat and rest when you like as a freelancer, i'm actually developing a solid work ethic as a freelancer, while nothing else occupies my time.

You see when I have client projects underway or I am starting one I try to work at least 5 hours a day on that client project, this way you can maintain a steady work rate and get the job done quite quick

07-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Anthony
Good points made Travis, thanks for posting them!

Going back to what you said about being able to sleep, eat and rest when you like as a freelancer, i'm actually developing a solid work ethic as a freelancer, while nothing else occupies my time.

You see when I have client projects underway or I am starting one I try to work at least 5 hours a day on that client project, this way you can maintain a steady work rate and get the job done quite quick
This is especially true for people who are interested in working but aren't old enough to be employed at a web development firm. They can still acquire the experience and nurture their skills throughout the process.

07-31-2004, 06:18 AM
Jon-Kyle is offline Jon-Kyle
Expertise:
Software:

Jon-Kyle is on a distinguished road

Old

Exactly what I was about to say, Mason. I'm not old enough to sign a contract, so freelance is the way to go

07-31-2004, 10:05 AM
Software:

Old

If someone were to offer me a full time position at a reputable design firm and they pay was acceptable - I wouldn't complain

07-31-2004, 07:39 PM
Jon-Kyle is offline Jon-Kyle
Expertise:
Software:

Jon-Kyle is on a distinguished road

Old

Any one in their right mind would not.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >