Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1090 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Flash and Actionscript :

SWF files not working

Thread title: SWF files not working
01-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Chr is offline Chr
Expertise:
Software: Photoshop, Dreamweaver etc

Chr is on a distinguished road

Old  SWF files not working

Hi,

I'm new in this forum and also quite inexperienced in web designing. I actually have the page itself looking as I intended but the one thing that has been driving me crazy for a week(!) are the flash videos. I need a flash video/animation to autoplay when you load the page, when the flash video ends, it should start over again (loop or autoRewind?) and maybe if possible also have nice playback buttons too that appear only when you hover over the flash video.

Anyway I use After Effects to create the animation and then render it out to an .flv file, then import the video and load external video with playback components with Flash and then export .swf from Flash and then import .swf to my php file in Dreamweaver.

Then I open the php file in Firefox (from my hard drive) and what I get is just a white box with nothing in it, when I load the files on the server I recieve also just a white box. No errors or anything and when I open the swf with a flash player, it plays nicely and even shows the playback controls that were added with Adobe Flash. All the flash file components and scripts are in the webpage root folder so that can't be the problem.

First thing I wanted to make clear is that am I doing everything correctly? Are the file types mentioned correct for this kind of situation and is the whole process logical?

If not, then please guide me on the right path, because when I googled I somehow got more confused as I learned that there are very many ways of how to present flash on web.

My second concern is that how can there be 3 programs that are all made by Adobe and I even own all newest versions (CS5) and I am struggling to get things to work. I really hope it's my own stupidity, not a developers bug or something like that.

Oh and by the way, I got it to work on my hard drive somehow by using AE export to swf function (and skipping the Adobe Flash), on the server it showed that I need a newer version of flash, even if I downloaded the newest version four times. BUT the AE export to flash is not an option even if it worked on the server because the file is like 22mb large when exported in high quality and in low quality it is 13mb large so WAY to big for a simple website.

It's a long and confusing post, but I really need this thing working and I really hope that I'm just stupid and that's an easy fix. If needed I can copy the codes/action scripts etc too but since they are created by programs, not me (regarding the flash part), I don't think that would make a difference.

Big Thanks!

02-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Chr is offline Chr
Expertise:

Old

Hi again,

haven't been able to deal with the webpage for some time but now tried out some new things. I created a blank .php page with only the flash swf in it and it plays on my computer but when I uploaded it to the server, it loads the page for a long time and then shows only a white box on a white background. The adblock plugin in Firefox recognizes it because it shows a button on one side of the invisible box, but that's it. Here's the link: test page

What could be the problem? Is something disabled in the server settings or some script files are missing etc?

Any help is apprecieted.

02-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Chr is offline Chr
Expertise:

Old

I also have to say that I've tried all the different programs for creating a flash animation/video and they all work well when opening them with flash player and almost all work well on my webpage (when it is on my hard drive) but things go wrong from the moment I upload the page to my server.

02-02-2011, 05:33 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

http://www.keskkonnake.ee/test.swf doesn't do anything. are you sure it can see the flv and the playback swf?

02-02-2011, 07:58 PM
DigiTheme is offline DigiTheme
Expertise: Coding and Design
Software: Photoshop and Notepad++

DigiTheme is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via Skype™ to DigiTheme

Old

I think the test.swf file is not working as it should. I've downloaded it, opened it up in a swf player and it has only 3 white frames (this means the video plays but the main file was created wrong or it gathered some errors while you rendered it).

OR

maybe your host doesn't allow flash

02-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Chr is offline Chr
Expertise:

Old

I actually contacted my host to be sure that flash is supported by them. They only mentioned the same thing, the flash file does not work as it should. How come I can see the same file on my computer without any problems? Or what steps should I take to get an animation made in After Effects to my homepage? My main concern is that it should look like a part of the page not like an embed video and it should be small enough to start playing as soon as the page loads and it must have functions autoStart and Loop or autoRewind.

02-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Chr is offline Chr
Expertise:

Old

I don't know what to do anymore. I used Flash and then published the file. It worked fine on my computer (except that Loop function doesn't work) and then I uploaded the files that Flash created to the server and all I got is a blank page. The swf and HTML are both created by Flash and I didn't change anything. Why the hell don't they work on the server? Any help?

Thanked by:
JimJakes88 (02-16-2014)