Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1696 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion     Member Website Announcements :

Project: Click to the Moon - www.clicktothemoon.com

Thread title: Project: Click to the Moon - www.clicktothemoon.com
Closed Thread  
Page 7 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7
11-30-2007, 10:18 AM
PIXL is offline PIXL
Software:

PIXL is on a distinguished road

Old

Yeah it will.. i'll just raise the maximum number of clicks once the first flag reaches the top... and i'll include something like "Congrats to ____ continent" for winning our last run..

or something

11-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Wildhoney is offline Wildhoney
Expertise:
Software:

Wildhoney is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Wildhoney Send a message via MSN to Wildhoney Send a message via Yahoo to Wildhoney

Old

To be honest with you, I think this is badly designed. The 2,000 limit is all fine and dandy, but there are better ways to protect against click-bots. I set one up last night, hence why Europe got 2,000 votes in a short space of time. There's no way you should just leave the clicking down to a simple URL argument.

Talking of URL arguments, by the way, there's a buggeth right here if you set the continent argument as an array.

As for the bad programming design, how about something where you set an hidden attribute on the page and then check it matches once they submitted, that way although the click-bots will still be able to work, they'd be much more difficult to create and thus may deter people from doing so. Surely 2,000 clicks from a click-bot is bad enough? And whilst we're at it, keeping track of a user by their IP is a bad, bad move. If I was on AOL, or if I had the time to run my script through alternating proxy servers, I could get Europe to the moon within half an hour. One giant leap for mankind!

Though it's a fun game nonetheless.

12-01-2007, 01:10 AM
PIXL is offline PIXL
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by Wildhoney View Post
To be honest with you, I think this is badly designed. The 2,000 limit is all fine and dandy, but there are better ways to protect against click-bots. I set one up last night, hence why Europe got 2,000 votes in a short space of time. There's no way you should just leave the clicking down to a simple URL argument.

Talking of URL arguments, by the way, there's a buggeth right here if you set the continent argument as an array.

As for the bad programming design, how about something where you set an hidden attribute on the page and then check it matches once they submitted, that way although the click-bots will still be able to work, they'd be much more difficult to create and thus may deter people from doing so. Surely 2,000 clicks from a click-bot is bad enough? And whilst we're at it, keeping track of a user by their IP is a bad, bad move. If I was on AOL, or if I had the time to run my script through alternating proxy servers, I could get Europe to the moon within half an hour. One giant leap for mankind!

You may wish to have a read of my article on TalkPHP.com, and also the comments, as there's some interesting discussions pertaining to what you're doing here.

Though it's a fun game nonetheless.
Thank you for your advice, but you shouldn't be advertising your site within a thread for my own.. i would appreciate if you removed your URL, not trying to be rude.

however, this was not a challenge in programming, just something fun for people.. I never claimed it was the best programmed thing on the planet, but I may revamp it.

Anyways. Thank you for your suggestions.. I will look into it.

Edit:
As far as design, this is the beta edition.. And it's been up for 3 days.. And most people say they like it (even though I dont).. so don't worry too much about it..

12-01-2007, 01:32 AM
Wildhoney is offline Wildhoney
Expertise:
Software:

Wildhoney is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Wildhoney Send a message via MSN to Wildhoney Send a message via Yahoo to Wildhoney

Old

Consider it done, although you've just made a bigger fuss which has advertised it more A PM would have sufficed. Only trying to give a fellow programmer some advice.

I've also just finished writing up a constructive article about that type of common downfall for many programmers. Predominantly because I felt somewhat bad, and I feel you need some key pointers to help you out. I know what I felt like when programmers would bash my code, but I do assure you it's all fine in the long run

I'll get that article up, I won't publish the link here for obvious reasons, and I respect that, but if you wish to have a read, it will be up shortly. I was also going to link to your website to get you more advertising, but if that's a taboo, then please do say so now and I won't mention Click to the Moon. I'm sure it will help you and many others along the way!

I also respect that it may not be the goal of the application, though it is a crucial part of the application nevertheless. Without it you'll never move onto bigger and better things whilst improving your code. We're all constantly learning!

12-01-2007, 03:34 AM
zerotothe5th is offline zerotothe5th
Software:

zerotothe5th is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to zerotothe5th

Old

I've been sitting here clicking for minutes straight. ADDICTIVE.

12-01-2007, 04:24 AM
Conrad is offline Conrad
Software:

Conrad is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Conrad

Old

imo, i would take all the advise from adam ( wildhoney ) you can get.. hes a wonderful coder and by god the smartest man i know. Hes by far probably the best programmer on this site.

12-01-2007, 04:28 AM
Conrad is offline Conrad
Software:

Conrad is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Conrad

Old

For security reasons, we have set a maximum clicking limit of 2000. Thank you for participating ///

:/ make it 2k a day.

12-01-2007, 05:03 AM
PIXL is offline PIXL
Software:

Old

Adam, if you would, please add me to MSN: dizbe@hotmail.com - I would love to continue talking, as i'm always up for advice, just not in this thread.

I will be doing some additional programming and security updates on this site tommorrow, as i'm with my girlfriend for the time being.

I hope you all enjoy I will post more updates when they're done.

Closed Thread  
Page 7 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7