Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1113 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Moderate or eliminate the marketplace (even if temporary)

Thread title: Moderate or eliminate the marketplace (even if temporary)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
02-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Stan is offline Stan
Software:

Stan is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Stan

Old  Moderate or eliminate the marketplace (even if temporary)

I used to frequent the TF multiple times a day back in 05/06, and a big part of that was the amount of quality designers here. Not saying that everyone isn't talented or putting anyone down directly, but the quality of posts in the market place are definitely not what they used to be, and I bet it has a direct impact on whether people stay or not.

Opening the marketplace and finding several designs for 50 dollars that are not up to par with other places on the web can turn new visitors, or returning visitors off that there are not as many like minded individuals here. Its the same theory that applies with some video games. I used to play Wow, and when they made it so everyone was able to accomplish everything, and achievements became less special, the hardcore's and talented individuals moved on. Once they moved on the next best players took there place, but also started to find the game less fascinating because the competition was meager. This continues until the majority of anyone above casuals kept playing, and then it is impossible to bring new interest into the game.

The same principal kind of applies to facebook, although facebook is forever growing. Many of the original students like myself who got on when there school was first opened on facebook no longer use it at all or at least much less. The exclusivity is gone, our parents, and younger siblings are on there and while the idea is still great, and yes it does grow, a lot of the people who helped build it are no longer active users. In the future this could also trend into a decline, but only time will tell. The analogy of Wow has 10 million or had, and facebook has nearly 1 billion. It may take a lot longer.

Point is, if you could clean up the marketplace and help reduce the spam that ends up there, and try to reignite discussion on everything else and have designers improve, it could drive new users to read and use TF. If you moderate sales, only approving quality ones, it may attract new users. It may also make current users work harder to improve, and thus increase the quality of the user base as well.

Just my 2 cents from a long time member, even if I was never "super" active, I do still frequent TF occasionally, but often click away because of what I find/or don't find.

Thanked by 3 users:
Artashes (02-15-2012), Salathe (02-11-2012), Village Genius (02-07-2012)
02-07-2012, 08:40 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

We appreciate the feedback, thanks for taking the time to write that. We are working on ways to raise the quality of the submissions in the marketplace. It is our goal to make TF a place where one can go for quality work opposed to being one of the many places where people go in pursuit of the lowest bid.

Thanked by:
Jordan (02-08-2012)
02-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Stan is offline Stan
Software:

Old

No problem, I will make an effort to be semi-active here. It is where I spent my time when former user Digit, and I bought and started running nerdpoint (A forum sold to us by Anthony Bullock on TF). Hopefully it puts me in a good state of mind in furthering my own projects.

02-10-2012, 07:43 AM
Big Zee is offline Big Zee
Software:

Big Zee is on a distinguished road

Old

Why don't you look at using http://www.ilance.com/ for the market place - It's not that expensive, and has a huge amount of functionality - it's pretty much a clone script of elance - demo here: http://demo.ilance.com/

Thanked by:
Artashes (02-15-2012)
02-11-2012, 05:52 PM
KewL is offline KewL
Expertise: Design, Music, Xhtml, Css
Software: Photoshop, Coda, FL Studio

KewL is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Did Big Zee really just post here?

I agree with stan. That's the reason I signed up and posted here, there were so many good designers and the marketplace was good. I never really sold designs for much, but I improved so much from 06 to 08

@Stan, I remember when nerdpoint opened up, I used to talk to you and digit on aim/msn haha. I Won the $50 referral contest at nerdpoint

Thanked by:
Artashes (02-15-2012)
02-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Gatt is offline Gatt
Expertise: Design & Development
Software: Photoshop

Gatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to Gatt Send a message via Skype™ to Gatt

Old

Haha Nerdpoint was awesome, had a lovely design as well! Good to hear from you again Stan . Regarding the marketplace, I most definitely agree and I think although it's an important aspect of this community we must not forget that the discussion/content is also vitally important.

02-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Big Zee is offline Big Zee
Software:

Big Zee is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by KewL View Post
Did Big Zee really just post here?
Yah - it's me - just checking back to see how TF is getting along.

02-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Stan is offline Stan
Software:

Old

Ya I am alive, life is very different since nerdpoint for myself, lived in NYC and now down in Charleston, SC with my new girlfriend. Trying to be productive and start up some projects again but it is a pain trying to write daily or even every other day. Let alone how far css has come and trying to feel adequate.

02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
smacklan is offline smacklan
Expertise: Design, Business
Software: Everything

smacklan is on a distinguished road

Old

Not to put anyone down, but (coming from someone who spent more than a few dollars buying quality designs over the years) I think the quality of work produced by today's designer compared to say 05 -08 has a lot to do with it. I hardly see anything anymore that I'd be willing to buy.

02-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

smacklan, from time to time I come across some very nice designs, especially web hosting related designs.

I do agree, however, that we need to find a way to stimulate the display and trade of more higher-end designs. If you get an idea on how to get there faster, I am all ears.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >