Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 875 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Development Software and Tools :

question about transferring from a Homestead site

Thread title: question about transferring from a Homestead site
04-13-2011, 01:27 AM
cfaye is offline cfaye
Software:

cfaye is on a distinguished road

Old  question about transferring from a Homestead site

Hope this is okay to put in General forum. I tried to search and see if this has been addressed before, but couldn't find anything.

So here's my predicament:
Client has been using Homestead software to manage his site for years and finally wants a "real" site, so I enter the picture. I wasn't familiar with Homestead when he approached me and thought, no sweat, I'll just go in and clean it up a bit before we do a complete redesign. Well, I'm on a Mac, so strike one - can't do much but edit text and photos, I can't even add their Facebook "like" box. Also, I can't just access the code without a frustrating "view source" copy/paste fest to mimic it.

Has anyone been through this before? Suggestions?

I also have read that quitting Homestead/Intuit hosting is not very friendly/flexible.

Any insight is welcome, thanks!
cf

04-14-2011, 03:00 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Most of these types of sites use the following to keep (trap) you as a customer:
  • Proprietary design (they own it and let you use it while hosted with them)
  • No export functions
  • They register the domain for you and won't sell it cheap.
  • Little meaningful direct access (meaning you may have a hard time getting the code)

These services aren't meant for advanced users and they are designed to keep you there. I would inquire with them as to how one would transfer because they can more accurately tell you what you are up against. I would not be in the least bit surprised if you end up having to start from square one (and from the code generated by those WYSIWIG programs, it might be the best course either way).