Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2092 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Calculating Monthly Overhead

Thread title: Calculating Monthly Overhead
Closed Thread    
05-24-2006, 04:59 AM
Kaygd Animal is offline Kaygd Animal
Expertise:
Software:

Kaygd Animal is on a distinguished road

Old  Calculating Monthly Overhead

I've been perusing the vast world of the internet and the best site I've found concerning my interest in computing my monthly overhead was www.creativepublic.com.

HOWever, I still find it to be confusing.

I am not having trouble understanding the formulas but what I am having trouble figuring out is what amounts to put into the following fields:

Income Taxes
This was easy as I did some research on www.salary.com to find out what specific jobs are paying on average. I went with Designer I - Web as my job title and took the lowest salary (more than I currently make) since it seemed to work for me.

Domain Name Register
I figured that for my Web Design business to work, I must own at least one domain name. So I did some research and the lowest price I could find was $65-2/yr ($2.71/mo). One question I have though is I plan on utilizing my first computer as my hosting server, which in turn I will be offering that service as well...to host websites.

Hosting Server
Well, I figured that until I actually get my web server up and running, I will be bound to having an already up and running, as well as stable, web host. Once I get my own server running as I want it to be, then this cost will go down.

Office Supplies
Well, I've never bought office supplies before. I do not plan on actually printing at my home since I do not have the financial means to purchase really expensive pieces of equipment. The only supplies I could think of are pencils, drawing tablets for sketches, large drawing pads for storyboarding. This number should not be too hard to figure out though I could not tell you on average how much of each supply people normally go through.
Marketing
Well, this will be simpler considering I am in advertising myself. I will just need to find out how much it is to place an advertisement on websites and within specific print media. Once I find those costs, I can figure out this number.
Postage and Shipping
Only postage and shipping I could think of is if I need to mail something to my customers, such as their bill.
Telephone
Since I will be running this business from my home, I will probably bypass this service at first. However, I prefer the business line to remain free from any other callers so when I can afford it, I'll add an extra line. Until such time, no cost here.

Accounting/Legal
Do I need an accountant if I can figure out my own finances? What about legal? The only legality issue is registering my business name with the county. Is there something else I should be looking to pay for here? How would Legal be considered part of monthly overhead, unless of course you plan on being sued all of the time?
Travel
I guess the only real travel expenses I might incur is my gas in my vehicle if I travel to meet a client in the local area. This can be easy to figure out since my wife and I already track this.
Office Furniture
Already own the furniture needed though I could really use another desk dedicated to my server and laptop because the one computer desk we do have is too small for me to really work with. I also have other expenses I'm looking at considering I want a bigger drawing tablet since the one I have I use mainly on the go.

Dues & Membership
What dues and memberships should I be expecting? Are they talking about joining up with freelancers where you have to pay? If so, I'm not too sure about that.
Licenses
County business liscense and city business liscense. Anyone know if the State of Florida requires one or the other or both if it is a home base business? Who would I normally call to get this kind of information?
Health Plan / Medical Insurance
Ummm, do I put my own personal health plan / medical insurance bill in here? I'm the lucky one because I do not have this bill yet even though it does come out of my paycheck with Medicare and whatnot. As a freelancer, this is something I will still have to look into seeing how I make sure those are paid as it is supposed to be.

Disability Insurance
Ummm, I guess I do not have to worry about this considering I am solo on this.
Retirement Savings
Do I put my own personal retirement savings in this field? I have mutual funds, so should I be putting my monthly bill in this field?
Multiply by 12 to get yearly OVERHEAD
It says to multiply so I am assuming I add everything above together and then multiply the total by 12 to acquire my yearly OVERHEAD. Am I correct?

My apologies about the formatting of the post. I did some copying and pasting from Excel to this post box.

As you can see, I have much to learn...and I'm willing and able. I do not graduate with my Bachelors of Science in Internet Systems and Software Technology for at least another year and the business aspects of the degree are not until the end. I'm just impatient and I have managed to gain the interest of four companies in designing their website, logo, advertisement slots, advertisement flyers, business cards, letterhead, etc. They've asked that I send them a price list and a list of all of my services and then we'll go from there.

I've been wanting to start my home business for the longest time now but I keep putting it off. So I figure now is time to do it.

Thanks for the help

05-24-2006, 05:42 AM
jjmac is offline jjmac
Software:

jjmac is on a distinguished road

Old

I'll try to help the best I can

Income Taxes
I figure 30%. It's easier if you already have an idea of what you'll make from experience, generally I find it easiest to put 30% into a savings account that accru's interest. I actually charge 30% more than what i need on a project just to cover taxes, this way I don't have to worry about it on a yearly basis because it's included into my hourly rate. Also remember that if you dedicate part of your house/apartment you can claim a percentage of all your utilities and rent on your taxes. Better yet, go to a CPA

Domain Name Register
Do some more research. You will find cheapest is not best especially in the hosting field. You can register a domain name anywhere basically but find a good host. Do the research yourself because if you ask for help you'll get 500 replies and be no closer to a good host. Consider total cost here, not just monthly. Total cost will include down time, your time for fixing problems, etc.

Hosting Server
Make sure you consider the cost of an internet connection here, simply because ADSL or regular cable will not work for you. You'll need a static IP and high upload speed. Most "high speed" internet is only high speed downloading, uploading (which is what a server does) is MUCH slower, sometimes only 64k or 128k. Just find out before hand, it's probably cheaper to host somewhere else. Don't forget to include your time for maintenance and updates because if you don't, you'll get hacked.

Office Supplies
Minimal office supplies required. Not even really enough to consider.

Marketing
You also need to decide who your audience is. Local or internet? With local business you get the (great) benefit of word of mouth advertisement as well as more loyalty. With internet business you're going to work for cheaper rates as well as clients who will decide simply not to pay you, however you have a much larger audience and more clients to choose from.

Postage and Shipping
I use e-mail for everything. I've only sent a few letters, and they were letters from attorney's. My attorny paid postage.

Telephone
Agreed.

Accounting/Legal
Do I need an accountant if I can figure out my own finances? What about legal? Yes and yes. Period. Your specialty is web services, theirs is legal and money services. They will save you money just like you would save someone money who doesn't know anything about building a web page. Remember, your time is money -- you need to spend it working for clients.

Travel
Again this depends on your audience. I generally make clients pay for travel expenses anyway.

Office Furniture
Never hurts to put something back for this because you will always need more, eventually.

Dues & Membership
This would be for things such as TechNet (on the technical end) or maybe some group or forum where you pay a membership to recieve useful resources and help. A lot of these are well worth the small membership, seriously consider but do your research before joining.

Licenses
You could call your local city secretary and they could point you in the right direction. I live in Texas so I'm no help here

Health Plan / Medical nsurance
If you will be providing yourself and family with insurance, put the monthly cost here.

Disability Insurance
Well if you get disabled somehow, you want to eat, right?

Retirement Savings
Totally depends on your retirement plan. How much do you save per month for retirement? any? Find a financial counselor and get a plan down. Call CitiBank, they have some good ones.

Multiply by 12 to get yearly OVERHEAD
Multiply the total of all the above monthly costs by 12.

05-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Kaygd Animal is offline Kaygd Animal
Expertise:
Software:

Kaygd Animal is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks jjmac!

Closed Thread