Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1471 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     The Gallery Showcase :

TWERQ.com Tabbed search results. Start TWERQn!

Thread title: TWERQ.com Tabbed search results. Start TWERQn!
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
10-01-2006, 03:27 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Originally Posted by twerq
Improvements have been made. Would like to know what you guys think about the following addition.

http://www.twerq.com/search.php?ac=news_100106

Thanks
Wes
Far from being the non-intrusive feature that you claim, I think that the 'autohiding' feature actually distracts me as a user. Why? When the page loads, the logo and extra info is visible right there at the top of the page - it's only when the page has fully loaded (ie, javascripts onload even is called) at the logo gets animated away. It is the animation, the disappearing of the logo which actually catches my eye since it's the only moving element and it's right at the top of the page - a prime area for the user to focus on.

All that is quite apart from the fact that people expect there to be a site logo in the top left corner and for it to be clickable - to bring them back to the homepage. You're hiding that useful, instinctual, piece of navigation from the user. Oh and maybe I'm blind but I can't find anywhere to show the logo again, permanently.

You state that the results come from Google and Yahoo, it would be nice to know which results came from where (or both engines).

10-03-2006, 03:29 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Wes, after much thought I have to agree with Salathe on this one. The logo is your identity, as soon as the page loads your identity is gone. It also creates a reasonably annoying animated jump upwards of the page when it disappears.

I understand that you are doing this to give more real estate to the search results and to try to be more unobtrusive, but in doing so you are actually distracting viewers. Put the logo back there and keep it there, it's reasonably small anyway.

As for the rest of the site, the concept is great, and the tools work really well. I think the bottom area needs tidying up, there's too much information there (even after hiding the hints). Maybe spread the links wider across the page?

10-03-2006, 05:20 AM
twerq is offline twerq
Software:

twerq is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks for the great feedback everyone both good and bad. Exactly what we want to hear.

The speed of the engine is being addressed though in most cases it seems to be acceptable. (please keep in mind this is only a BETA)

When it comes to the logo treatment what do you think about making the logo stationary when no results are displayed, than making it a user defined option to
enable the auto-hide feature. We have had both good and bad feedback on this, so this would be ideal I think. What are you thoughts?

I am cleaning up the links at the bottom of the site. Stay tuned

Thanks again
Wes

10-03-2006, 10:34 AM
twerq is offline twerq
Software:

Old

Website's speed increased by 13% Keep TWERQn' and let me know what you guys think.

Thanks
Wes

10-04-2006, 04:03 AM
twerq is offline twerq
Software:

Old

We have made some changes to our logo treatment and again to the footer. Also working on more speed enhancements. Please keep the feedback coming.

Thanks
Wes

10-05-2006, 06:34 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Old

It does seem to have increased in speed slightly, logos better, but theres still no real "identity" to the site.

10-06-2006, 09:52 AM
twerq is offline twerq
Software:

Old

Thanks for the input. You can expect more updates very soon. Here is the lastest.
http://www.twerq.com/search.php?ac=news_100606

Wes

10-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Old

It says Array () and a whole lot of other php at the top.

There is a strange effect that when I type in my initial search query it brings me to a blank page with the search bar at the top. I then have to re-type the query to get the SERP.

When you mouseover the icons inside the tab window on the top right, there are no tool tips for them.

I like what you have done at the bottom of the page, it has tidied it a lot.

10-07-2006, 04:19 PM
feros is offline feros
Software:

feros is on a distinguished road

Old

I've always had a bug where usually my first search at the site doesn't work. But all the rest work fine.

If you can get the wee little bugs worked out then I'll be using this site a lot. I really liked the tabbed searching, especially when exploring keyword results for SEO (hate having 15 windows open at once just for searches).

10-09-2006, 03:01 PM
twerq is offline twerq
Software:

Old

We are happy to announce we have addressed most major bugs and issues. This includes the first search bug which has taken some time to track down. We have also increased site speed and performance by more 50% as well as a number of other enhancements and additional features that will be announced today.

Take a look and let me know what you think guys, your help is appreciated!

Wes

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >