Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1596 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Too fat for an x-ray

Thread title: Too fat for an x-ray
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
07-26-2006, 09:04 PM
wasahobo is offline wasahobo
Software:

wasahobo is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to wasahobo Send a message via MSN to wasahobo

Old

I don't get it either. Everyday I have to watch fat people walk through the store, breathing heavy. Makes me proud that I understand the concept of "Dropping the Fork".

We should make doors slimmer at fast food places. This way once you get to big to fit inside, it should then ring a bell that something is wrong.

07-26-2006, 09:08 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

JamesH is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by wasahobo
I don't get it either. Everyday I have to watch fat people walk through the store, breathing heavy. Makes me proud that I understand the concept of "Dropping the Fork".

We should make doors slimmer at fast food places. This way once you get to big to fit inside, it should then ring a bell that something is wrong.
Haha, public humiliation will really get people to slim down! I vote yes!

07-26-2006, 09:34 PM
sletts02 is offline sletts02
Expertise:
Software:

sletts02 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to sletts02

Old

Australia's no better. We have so many obese adults and children it's not funny, especially in the city (Brisbane).

My school there is a lot of pressure on kids to be fit and healthy, therefore, most kids are. We still have our tolken fat guys in my grade, however, the majority of the grade are inside their BMI with many of them being very fit.

Australia (and McDonalds) has invested a lot of money in to advertising (especially to children) about healthy eating, and a healthy lifestyle. McDonalds frequently runs a "Never Stop Playing!!!" ad, with the message to children to play while they are young. "I would rather play games than computer games" and messages similar to that.

For a country to stop their obesity there needs to be Government inisitives for it to work. The QLD government is spending a ridiculous amount of money on advertising, heck, I would rather see that money put back in subsidising gym membership or sporting club memberships.

The problem for many obese people is that they are very self concious and therefore they do not want to join a sporting club or even go for a run or walk due to fear of being victimized. This is evident in children. Schools need to crack down on teasing in relation to obesity so the obese children have a chance to do sporting activities unvictimized. Also, you could raise the argument that having children tease the larger children would motivate them to exercise, however, personally I believe this is not true as it will hurt their self esteem and make them not want to healthy activities. Believe it or not, many obese children (that I know) consolidate themselves with food aswell.

It's narrowminded thinking to say that it's entirely the childs fault for being obese. Much of the burden needs to be put back on the parents. The parents need to educate their children about what's healthy and what's not. It's a classic case of Monkey see Monkey do. The children see their parents eating bad, never exercising and thus doing the same as their parents. Parents should enrole their child in sporting activities at a young age and teach them that foods such as ice cream are okay, if they eat it only once in a while.

My 2 cents atleast

07-26-2006, 09:41 PM
northpark is offline northpark
Expertise:
Software:

northpark is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to northpark

Old

Originally Posted by sletts02
Australia's no better. We have so many obese adults and children it's not funny, especially in the city (Brisbane).

My school there is a lot of pressure on kids to be fit and healthy, therefore, most kids are. We still have our tolken fat guys in my grade, however, the majority of the grade are inside their BMI with many of them being very fit.

Australia (and McDonalds) has invested a lot of money in to advertising (especially to children) about healthy eating, and a healthy lifestyle. McDonalds frequently runs a "Never Stop Playing!!!" ad, with the message to children to play while they are young. "I would rather play games than computer games" and messages similar to that.

For a country to stop their obesity there needs to be Government inisitives for it to work. The QLD government is spending a ridiculous amount of money on advertising, heck, I would rather see that money put back in subsidising gym membership or sporting club memberships.

The problem for many obese people is that they are very self concious and therefore they do not want to join a sporting club or even go for a run or walk due to fear of being victimized. This is evident in children. Schools need to crack down on teasing in relation to obesity so the obese children have a chance to do sporting activities unvictimized. Also, you could raise the argument that having children tease the larger children would motivate them to exercise, however, personally I believe this is not true as it will hurt their self esteem and make them not want to healthy activities. Believe it or not, many obese children (that I know) consolidate themselves with food aswell.

It's narrowminded thinking to say that it's entirely the childs fault for being obese. Much of the burden needs to be put back on the parents. The parents need to educate their children about what's healthy and what's not. It's a classic case of Monkey see Monkey do. The children see their parents eating bad, never exercising and thus doing the same as their parents. Parents should enrole their child in sporting activities at a young age and teach them that foods such as ice cream are okay, if they eat it only once in a while.

My 2 cents atleast
I totally agree.

Intermural Sports are my Anti-Fat.

07-26-2006, 10:27 PM
JamesH is offline JamesH
Expertise:
Software:

JamesH is on a distinguished road

Old

High metabolism is my anti-fat

07-26-2006, 10:30 PM
Garyrae is offline Garyrae
Expertise:
Software:

Garyrae is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Garyrae Send a message via Skype™ to Garyrae

Old

Originally Posted by JamesH
High metabolism is my anti-fat
Same here!

I can eat loads and loads and loads, do no exercise, and I'd still not put on weight.

07-26-2006, 10:33 PM
feros is offline feros
Software:

feros is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Sarmatian
lol, James, sorry, it's a fact man, we ARE over the average person fat. There are tons of articles, or you could walk outside to see it. I live in America, and I've lived in the UK for 5 years (it rocked!) and they were no where near as fat.
You've been reading the wrong articles. America is slightly more obese than the UK but not by much.

07-26-2006, 11:17 PM
Awesome is offline Awesome
Expertise:
Software:

Awesome is on a distinguished road

Old

Taken from the National Center for Health Statistics:

Percent of noninstitutionalized adults age 20 years and over who are overweight or obese: 66.3

Of course most americans are overweight. Most of them are lazy, they care for nothing and have no respect for anyone or anything. And I'm an american.

07-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

Personally I don't think it's all fast food to blame. I eat out basically everyday due to college and work--and I'm not fat. I think the biggest thing is being active. If you simply run every other day and goto a gym a few times a week, then you're not fat. To many people over look that.

Oh btw, these the USA does have fat people. However, to the other country people stating that fact, I'm sure you have no fat people what so ever in your countries right?

Originally Posted by chrislittell

Percent of noninstitutionalized adults age 20 years and over who are overweight or obese: 66.3

Of course most americans are overweight. Most of them are lazy, they care for nothing and have no respect for anyone or anything. And I'm an american.
You know, statistics are based off of bad information most of the time. Technically if you go by how they figure if your overweight, most people in professional sports are 'overweight.'

07-26-2006, 11:28 PM
feros is offline feros
Software:

feros is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by chrislittell

Overweight OR obese. Look a little more and you'll see that between 25 and 30 percent (depending on the "study") of America is obese. The number you're quoting is referring to both overweight and obese.

For more clarification:

If you average body weight of a 5'4" girl is 125 pounds (pulled straight out of my ass) and you're a 5'4" girl who weighs 126 pounds then you are overweight, NOT obese.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >