Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1197 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Other Programming Languages :

PHP or RoR?

Thread title: PHP or RoR?
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
07-09-2007, 10:39 PM
DJAC is offline DJAC
Expertise:
Software:

DJAC is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to DJAC

Old

Originally Posted by Haris View Post
Thanks for the advice. The book is a little confusing without basics so I'm going to go through http://rubylearning.com/satishtalim/tutorial.html first.
That link gives more info on the Ruby programming language... so that'll be a good read for you. Also, I read Appendix A from Agile first since It gives a bit of an intro on Ruby.

Good luck!

07-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Haris is offline Haris
Software:

Haris is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by DJAC View Post
That link gives more info on the Ruby programming language... so that'll be a good read for you. Also, I read Appendix A from Agile first since It gives a bit of an intro on Ruby.

Good luck!
I'll give it a read too.

07-15-2007, 12:59 AM
Haris is offline Haris
Software:

Haris is on a distinguished road

Old

Tomorrow will be my 5th attempt at creating the depot application properly and I won't give up.

07-17-2007, 01:50 AM
eldafar is offline eldafar
Software:

eldafar is on a distinguished road

Old

Screw both. Use Zope.

07-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Jamie is offline Jamie
Software:

Jamie is on a distinguished road

Old

Well I don't code but from what I hear from coders i've worked with, friends, and my own personally experiences is that Ruby on Rails is amazing, and your kind of getting 2 lanagues in 1...I think.

Firstly you should start off learning PHP as like someone has previous said it's the industry standard and alot of servers still don't support Rails, or it's more difficult to setup then normal. After you learn PHP though you should deffinately learn Rails. The benifits of the languages well over-weigh the any cons or problems with it.

Also Agile Web Development with Rails and Rails Recipes are some great books to get you started.

08-01-2007, 08:24 PM
KenK is offline KenK
Software:

KenK is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to KenK Send a message via MSN to KenK

Old

Unless you're very outgoing, use PHP. Once you're comfortable with PHP, you could learn Ruby on Rails, but it's best to start off with PHP.

08-07-2007, 07:14 PM
mckST is offline mckST
Software:

mckST is on a distinguished road

Old

Why do people think you can compare PHP to RoR?

You simply cannot. For One RoR isnt a coding language.. All it is, is a rapid deployment framework for Ruby.

Its quite the same as using CakePHP to build you php applications.

My thoughts
mckSt

12-13-2007, 01:02 PM
tristan is offline tristan
Software:

tristan is on a distinguished road

Old

The Agile book says that you should start with the appendices if you have yet to use Ruby. In there, you get the basics on all the syntax. If you are just blindly going through the motions and copying the books code without understanding, how can you learn?

That said, unless you are familiar with web development, go with PHP first. I think its a very good thing to learn the nuts and bolts of whats going on in your application before moving onto a framework, something that abstracts away a lot of those nuts and bolts. If you don't understand whats going on underneath it all, you will never really understand how things are working on the surface.

Good luck!

04-07-2008, 03:30 PM
forsakensoul is offline forsakensoul
Software:

forsakensoul is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by tristan View Post
The Agile book says that you should start with the appendices if you have yet to use Ruby. In there, you get the basics on all the syntax. If you are just blindly going through the motions and copying the books code without understanding, how can you learn?

That said, unless you are familiar with web development, go with PHP first. I think its a very good thing to learn the nuts and bolts of whats going on in your application before moving onto a framework, something that abstracts away a lot of those nuts and bolts. If you don't understand whats going on underneath it all, you will never really understand how things are working on the surface.

Good luck!
Well don't want to argue but I don't see how PHP would help you learn ruby ... ruby is OPP .. My advice is first to learn Ruby you can use the notes by Satish Talim or you could enroll in his free ruby course at:
http://rubylearning.org
There is a batch which is going to open soon. And also there is a introductory rails course(it's the first batch so it's I can't tell you anything about it) at:
www.traineronrails.com
I am e student in both courses ... I would say that the free ruby course run by Satish Talim is a great experience and is fun to learn the language. When you learn Ruby it will be much much easier to understand rails.
Regards

04-08-2008, 07:57 PM
William is offline William
Expertise:
Software:

William is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to William Send a message via MSN to William Send a message via Yahoo to William

Old

I prefer PHP!

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >