Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 889 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

A question about coding for WP theme

Thread title: A question about coding for WP theme
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
07-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Gille is offline Gille
Expertise: HTML, CSS
Software:

Gille is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Gille

Old

Originally Posted by rochow View Post
Yet there are retards around here who charge $100 for a 1 hour HTML->WP conversion, yet charge less than $100 for a 4 hour HTML/CSS job.
Not every skin consists of 2 pages.

For me, the both are up to par qua value. If you only skin your basic blogskin, yes it's easy. However, doing more advanced things obviously.

But obviously, if you are so pro... continue doing skins for $25 until you finally get a decent WordPress skin you can do.

07-04-2008, 08:08 AM
rochow is offline rochow
Expertise:
Software:

rochow is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rochow Send a message via Skype™ to rochow

Old

Originally Posted by Gille View Post
Not every skin consists of 2 pages.

For me, the both are up to par qua value. If you only skin your basic blogskin, yes it's easy. However, doing more advanced things obviously.

But obviously, if you are so pro... continue doing skins for $25 until you finally get a decent WordPress skin you can do.
Ah, mr smart ass is on the scene.

I deal with hourly rates, whether I'm doing HTML, WP - whatever. The average Wordpress is a normal blog, hence the average time is an hour, hence the average price I charge is $50.

Given that, it is stupid that people are charging far more than their hourly rate for Wordpress. We aren't talking anything complex here -we're talking run of the mill, no plugins, nothing fancy Wordpress (hmm just had dejavu, guess I dreamt writing this this last night or something) It is not logical to charge an hourly rate for 1 thing, and a different hourly rate for another (especially as there is no shortage of WP coders)

Oh, and putting me down because of my price (not that I was even talking about me anyway), what a way to prove your point. "You're sh*tter than me because you don't charge as much as I do." Yeah, real solid argument you've got going there.

But obviously, you are so pro you can't even validate the most basic theme I've seen in my life.

EDIT: Oh, and learn how to read:

Yet there are retards around here who charge $100 for a 1 hour HTML->WP conversion
I said a 1 hour job, not a 5 hour job. So (obviously), I'm not talking about anything that advanced.

07-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Gille is offline Gille
Expertise: HTML, CSS
Software:

Gille is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Gille

Old

So you are basically saying each work is the same? No difference in difficulty?

So you think a HTML coder should charge just as much as a PHP coder? So a factory worker should earn as much as a lawyer (I'm exaggerating to make a point). I was simply using the example you provided.

I'm also troubled by your stance that, if there are a lot of coders, you should charge less. Appearantly you don't want to draw people with quality, but with lower prices.

Oh, and I'm happy to see you've done your research on me. You pointed out a bug in the PHP script I wrote for "the most basic theme you've seen in your life".

Don't judge a book by it's cover, there's a lot more going on under the hood than you think, it just doesn't show yet because it hasn't launched yet.

Want me to analyze all your work? Just give me a shout, I'll set up a list

(By no means am I comparing xhtml and PHP coders to factory workers and lawyers, I'm just making a point; in case someone might be offended )

07-04-2008, 09:01 AM
rochow is offline rochow
Expertise:
Software:

rochow is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to rochow Send a message via Skype™ to rochow

Old

So you are basically saying each work is the same? No difference in difficulty?
I am talking about the average Wordpress job, which is rather simple (which is the beauty of Wordpress)

So you think a HTML coder should charge just as much as a PHP coder? So a factory worker should earn as much as a lawyer (I'm exaggerating to make a point). I was simply using the example you provided.
Err no, I said "I deal with hourly rates". You're jumping off with the whole "a garbage man should get the same as a CEO" plot.

I'm also troubled by your stance that, if there are a lot of coders, you should charge less. Appearantly you don't want to draw people with quality, but with lower prices.
Yeah, because $50/hr is dirt cheap...

Oh, and I'm happy to see you've done your research on me. You pointed out a bug in the PHP script I wrote for "the most basic theme you've seen in your life".

Don't judge a book by it's cover, there's a lot more going on under the hood than you think, it just doesn't show yet because it hasn't launched yet.

Want me to analyze all your work? Just give me a shout, I'll set up a list
Go for gold. Why not do an Andrew and pick on the oldest piece you can find while you're at it. All being fair, feel free to post a few sites you've done (other than your work in progress)

(By no means am I comparing xhtml and PHP coders to factory workers and lawyers, I'm just making a point; in case someone might be offended )
Economics is supply and demand. Thats why the less people there are, the higher the price is, and the more people there are, the less the price is.

You get the prize for being the person who likes to exagerate the most (and take what someone says, and try and make it look like they were saying something else)

07-04-2008, 10:52 AM
anishktrehan is offline anishktrehan
Software:

anishktrehan is on a distinguished road

Old

thanks

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2