Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1095 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

Coding - How Much To Pay?

Thread title: Coding - How Much To Pay?
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
01-18-2005, 02:08 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

two very simple and reasduring reasons:

1. they work under a corporation with a strict hour set per day. IE 9-5. 8/hours a day. do the math.
2. A reputable/responsible person would record how long they work on each project. do some math.

this should be presented to them in the ever so obvious project break down. they should know you expect it to take X hours to complete. if they agree, it doesn't matter if you do it in one hour and make it up, they agreed ot pay you, so they have no reason to doubt you. however, you will most likely be screwed if you try this. i don't reccomend it, i'm just saying it's easy to reassure people.

my only questions is, why the variation in numbers? xhtml (regardless of doctype) isn't any harder to make than html, so how is it worth $10 more? your 'expenses' - to get a cms coded in 2 hours is more demanding thus a higher price, but adding / to the end of some tags doesn't justify that to me.

01-18-2005, 05:57 AM
Legendary is offline Legendary
Software:

Legendary is on a distinguished road

Old

Agreed theory!!

But to answer your question. No, it is not worth 10 more dollars if you're just looking at the codes alone. But tell me if this is worth 10 dollars more, there is 30 days service (fixing, modify, add, erase), and also an extensive review and tutorial of how they can go about fixing, adding, erasing, or modifying whatever they want when the 30 days has expired. And I only do this for XHTML & CSS, PHP, ASP, and JAVA. So think about it, over a course of 6 months or something like that, all of the sudden they have something to add or something to change, they can still go about doing it themselves because they have the tutorial right there to help them. All of the tutorial are related to their sites. Unless they really have a lot money, and or they are just lazy, then they come back but I usually don't even charge them for something that small because it doesn't take up a significan amount of time. A little different if they come back w/ a PHP, ASP, or JAVA request though.

01-18-2005, 01:59 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

yeah, that's different, it's more work. i drew out a long debate in a class once about that, and the profs were very convincing that charing different rates weren't the way to go, because there's so much justification to do, like just now.

since i'm freelancing, i have a notebook dedicated to work I do, where i keep notes, such as something i want ot build, or how long it took. when meeting with someone, i'll explain what i want to do and what's involved and give an estimate for everything (for time and money) and i record when i start work and when i stop work, total them up and compare them with the client.

since i'm in school, i can't just say i'll do client work between 9-5 but, i might take that approach when i'm finnished - 9-5 for client work, teh rest for personal stuff.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3