Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 561 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

So Spencer, What'd ya do?

Thread title: So Spencer, What'd ya do?
Page 6 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6
12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Originally Posted by xhtml2go View Post
i reported the name a few days ago and nothing was done about it!
All user reports are read and evaluated. Just because nothing was done about it doesn't mean we're sitting on our hands.

I think the fact that a admin let him change his name to that just shows the maturity and professionalism or lack of that has emerged from the tf staff.
You've got this all wrong, an admin didn't let him change anything. An admin, me, changed the name for him. Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn but since when does the view of the entire website hinge on the username of one particularly immature member? Maybe I've got it all wrong and I should stop right now. Maybe one person's username does dictate the "maturity" and "professionalism" of a website.

Personally, and I may very well be completely wrong again, I think that in allowing such a username shows more maturity on the part of the staff (there was not one word of disagreement with my choice to allow the name) than not. Sure, Peter's level of professionalism and maturity is questionable as a result of wanting that as his name but I fail, completely and utterly in all ways, to see how that could be translated to the community as a whole or indeed just the staff or any one person on it.

12-07-2009, 01:33 PM
smacklan is offline smacklan
Expertise: Design, Business
Software: Everything

smacklan is on a distinguished road

Old

Salathe, I don't have anything against you or VG personally. I think you both are decent, level headed and mature persons however if you are trying (and I think it's reasonable to say you have been for some time) to turn this place around and bring a certain level of maturity and professionalism to it that allowing something like this works in the opposite of that goal. It may seem simple and insignificant, but it paints a "bigger picture"...to me anyways. Bottom line is the people who care about this place can only do so much for it when the writing is on the wall about it's future and has been for some time. There is nothing in it for me to see it fail and I really wouldn't want to play a part in causing that but I think we are all (most of us anyways) grown up enough to realize that

12-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Jeff Andersen is offline Jeff Andersen
Software:

Jeff Andersen is on a distinguished road

Old

Weeeeeee.. everyone enjoying the handbasket ride?

Oh? you haven't heard? Yeah, this one goes to Hell.

12-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I wouldn't say I'm offended by the issue, infact it would of made you a legend had you changed my name to the above, however, taking such a formal approch to Spencer's dissmisal and then renaming some guy '****' gives off mixed signals.

12-07-2009, 06:24 PM
triadink is offline triadink
Software:

triadink is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to triadink Send a message via Yahoo to triadink

Old

Originally Posted by Salathe View Post
Forgive me if I'm speaking out of turn but since when does the view of the entire website hinge on the username of one particularly immature member? Maybe I've got it all wrong and I should stop right now. Maybe one person's username does dictate the "maturity" and "professionalism" of a website.

Personally, and I may very well be completely wrong again, I think that in allowing such a username shows more maturity on the part of the staff (there was not one word of disagreement with my choice to allow the name) than not. Sure, Peter's level of professionalism and maturity is questionable as a result of wanting that as his name but I fail, completely and utterly in all ways, to see how that could be translated to the community as a whole or indeed just the staff or any one person on it.
I wasnt talking about peter's immaturity i was talking about the admin who changed his name being immature and unprofessional. I think its time for zee to be notified again about the actions of his staff and make necessary adjustments.

12-07-2009, 06:27 PM

Old

I can only thank those members that are happy enough to make their thoughts known on subjects like these. To be honest (read into the following whatever you will) the changing of Peter's username to "****" didn't sit comfortably with me but having recently removed the swear filter (bar one word) I wanted to test the waters to see what the community feeling was like. The outlook is positive.

I changed his username without consulting any staff (not that that's any different from normal; but seeing what the staff thought about "****" would be something I'd do), though when they saw the change and we had a chat the majority responded along the lines of "it's his name and it'll only hurt his professionalism" (not a direct quote). There were some delicately raised voices with doubts (one at the time and slightly more so more recently). Since the staff had no major concern (maybe it was just following the leader, though I'd like to hope it wasn't) everything was fine to see if the community had a problem with it.

We've received a number of reports along the lines of "look at his username!" and posts (e.g. in this thread) came dribbling along eventually (interestingly it took a while for anything to be said) and the experiment is starting to reap rewards. So thank you for giving me a little hope in what's left of the community.

P.S. I still don't believe that a single person's username has quite such an impact on the site as a whole as perhaps some people might like to think.

12-07-2009, 06:30 PM

Old

I wasnt talking about peter's immaturity i was talking about the admin who changed his name being immature and unprofessional. I think its time for zee to be notified again about the actions of his staff and make necessary adjustments.
Do feel free to get in touch with him, or indeed with me, to voice your thoughts and concerns. It is Zee's site to look after and if there is a problem within the staff it is your every right to make him aware of that. He doesn't keep track of every post in every thread so perhaps best to PM, email or IM him.

12-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Matsta is offline Matsta
Expertise:
Software:

Matsta is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Matsta Send a message via MSN to Matsta

Old

This thread is a prime example of why spencer got banned.

Somehow he turn's a one line answer into a 3 paragraph essay which seems to rabbit on and somehow goes off topic.

I can see why he ain't staff now

12-09-2009, 07:35 AM
spencerp is offline spencerp
Expertise:
Software:

spencerp is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to spencerp Send a message via MSN to spencerp Send a message via Yahoo to spencerp

Old

Wait, what? Lmao. So because I tend to write essays or novels when I reply or post, it's reason for me not to be staff? Um, okay... LOL! But you are right though... should have just wrote out from the start; a) This is what I did. b) This is what I said, with a reason (even though it might be right or not). c) An apology. Done. But I didn't, wish I could go back and change it.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6