Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 738 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Which type of client is better, individuals or organizations?

Thread title: Which type of client is better, individuals or organizations?
12-11-2010, 06:35 PM
HereForDiscussion is offline HereForDiscussion
Expertise:
Software:

HereForDiscussion is on a distinguished road

Old  Which type of client is better, individuals or organizations?

My first impression of freelancing was that I should take on any client because business is business, right? Now about a month into this game I'm starting to think that sometimes clients should be chosen carefully. The question I am pondering specifically is in the title of this post.

I'm thinking that it's better to work with organizations rather than individuals for two reasons:

1. Better experience

If you work with an organization you get to communicate with several people instead of just one, you may get to sit in on a meeting if you meet the client in person and you get to take ideas about one project from several different people. With an individual, it's just one on one the whole time.

2. Better for your portfolio

I think potential clients are more impressed seeing someone who has completed projects for organizations. It gives off the impression that not only can you handle complex requirements but you are also an asset to a company.

Do you agree with my reasoning? What's your experience been like doing projects for individuals vs. organizations? Which type of client do you think is better to work with/for?

12-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Libby is offline Libby
Software:

Libby is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I was a researcher in a research lab----focus was information technology solutions for various types of management concerns. Based on that, my short answer is it depends on the tasks and goals involved. Sometimes you need various points of view, sometimes, too many cooks spoils the soup.

12-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Organizations, almost without exception. They often pay better and have less trouble actually paying their bills. Not to say that all organizations are great, I've had my fair share of trouble with them.

Thanked by 3 users:
HereForDiscussion (12-12-2010), Jake B (12-13-2010), Spherions (12-12-2010)
12-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

It's great to see that you're thinking about who (or what) your client base should be, HereForDiscussion.

The idea that you don't need to say yes to every job that comes along is a difficult one for many independents. When you make the decision to limit your clients to this or that segment, you are letting everyone (clients, potential clients, and colleagues) know that you know who you are and what you do. You are controlling your business, rather than letting it control you.

As to which type of client is better, individuals or organizations, I believe there are advantages and disadvantages to both. For every organization that wants you to be an "active participant," there is probably one that wants you to be the "secret weapon" and another that sees you as nothing more than a particularly lively piece of office equipment. Getting paid can be more problematic--I've never had an individual inform me that their policy prohibits them from paying me for 60 days. (See also the campaign at the Freelancers Union regarding deadbeat clients). And it's true that your business clients will never be impressed by your private or individual clients, even if it's the most interesting project of your career. With individuals it can be more difficult to say "If you need me to do that too we need to revise the contract," so you have to be more vigilant about clients taking advantage of you.

I suspect it also depends on your personality. More introverted, or more autocratic, independents might not enjoy the group hugs required when working as an outsider in an organization.

Thanked by:
HereForDiscussion (12-18-2010)
12-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Eddie is offline Eddie
Expertise: writing
Software: notepad

Eddie is on a distinguished road

Old

Personally I work well on a one to one, I like the fact that if you come across a problem your contact is the client.

I have in the past worked for organizations and have become very frustrated when the 'issue' has to do the rounds before it can be solved.

12-17-2010, 07:28 AM
weblover50 is offline weblover50
Software:

weblover50 is on a distinguished road

Old

I prefer individuals but the only risky part is being scammed.

12-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Libby is offline Libby
Software:

Libby is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I always enjoyed working for organizations more because groups do a much better job of zeroing in on whatever problem you are being sought to help solve.

12-18-2010, 12:02 AM
krymson is offline krymson
Expertise: SEO, Design, Programming
Software: Dreamweaver & Notepad++

krymson is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to krymson

Old

In my experience, I work more with individuals than organizations. I think I do that because many organizations eventually have the funds to start their own tech department to create websites. Where as individuals are just looking to get what they want and then leave it be for 5-10 years. The downfall to individuals is that you have to worry about them paying you, they change their mind every day, and they want you to go out of the way of what you said you were gonna offer. That's my only complain about it. Individuals who are willing to learn and take your advice and trust in your decisions as a professional make working with individuals enjoyable.

12-18-2010, 02:16 PM
dojo is offline dojo
Expertise: Wordpress, web design
Software: Photoshop, Crimson Editor

dojo is on a distinguished road

Old

I've worked with them both. Still, I think individuals are better since most companies have a lot of "drama' inside. If I have to work on a project, I need to wait for days until they speak with the managers etc. When you're working with an individual, communication comes faster and better.

12-18-2010, 10:49 PM
HereForDiscussion is offline HereForDiscussion
Expertise:
Software:

HereForDiscussion is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks for the replies everyone, you've given me a lot to think about. Right now I am set on working with organizations more because I think that ultimately that's better for ones portfolio (as I stated originally) and it's more likely you'll get paid on time. But we'll see how it goes