Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1387 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS :

What is the best website design software?

Thread title: What is the best website design software?
View Poll Results: Best website Design Software
Dreamweaver 34 58.62%
Coffecup 0 0%
Other 24 41.38%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
01-28-2008, 11:01 PM
rozehrocks is offline rozehrocks
Software:

rozehrocks is on a distinguished road

Old

^ I used to ignore dreamweaver before too since I thought it's quite complicated but when I tried to really understand it, i's quite easy to use and I think the best for me

01-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Szandor is offline Szandor
Expertise:
Software:

Szandor is on a distinguished road

Old

The new Dreamweaver from Adobe is a great piece of software, I always felt DW lacked something before.

I personally use the following workflow, it provides a quick and simple design process for me:

Photoshop
The first draft is made in Photoshop. It's just a rough sketch at first, but matures along the way. I go back to this step frequently in the beginning to correct things.

Text editor
I mostly work with e these days, but if you don't want to pay there are a number of good free editors out there. I can recommend Crimson Editor (hitting the forum to get the updated beta is recommended).
In my text editor I write the XHTML. I don't add the actual content yet, I just use some placeholder text.

Firefox
While Opera has a better renderer, Firefox has a bunch of truly great add-ons that really make a difference here.

- Web Developer
This is a crucial add-on in my work flow since I can edit the CSS and see any changes on-the-fly. Not even Dreamweaver can do this (you have to press an update button). The website is pretty much layed out this way, using Firefox and e to edit what I need.

I guess the list could end here, but there are other tools I use as well. First of all I have a couple of different browsers installed and Apples decision to release a Windows version of Safari has really helped me out. Firefox, Opera, IE7, Safari and Lynx are the browsers I check regularly, with IE6 being checked when I get access to it. Lynx is great for checking the structure of your XHTML, Opera displays your code most correctly and can be used for reference while the rest are the major browsers today.

FastStone Capture
A great tool for taking screenshots and other small tasks. Free to try, cheap to buy.

I also use some more add-ons for Firefox, but I'll only list the most interesting ones. Look them up, they're all pretty handy.
  • ColorZilla - A colorpicker for your browser. Very handy.
  • Total Validator - A great validator that can take screenshots of your site on various browsers and platforms. Perfect if you want to control what the site looks like in a browser you don't want to install.
  • Internote - Sticky notes for websites. Great for designers working on several websites at a time.
  • MeasureIt - A simple way of measuring stuff. How big is that gap really?

In conclusion: Photoshop, Firefox and a text editor gives you a powerful combo, although you will need to actually know what you're doung to use it, but we all do in here, right? ;-)

For some WYSIWYG editing, Dreamweaver CS3 is the way to go. Not the perfect WYSIWYG editor, but the best there is today.

02-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Metal-CX is offline Metal-CX
Software:

Metal-CX is on a distinguished road

Old

In my opinion, most of the people who brag about using Notepad like editors with very simple functions probably just don't do this stuff professionally.

When you need to get things done, a proper IDE with syntax coloring and code completion, and most of all - error highlighting is the best choice.

If you want a good HTML editor - Dreamweaver's the best I know of.
The best CSS editor I know of though is Microsoft Expression Web.

But I personally use NuSphere's PhpEd for PHP, HTML and CSS. Hell, it even supports Smarty templates in HTML.

02-02-2008, 03:58 PM
RaZoR^ is offline RaZoR^
Software:

RaZoR^ is on a distinguished road

Old

Unless they mean Notepad++, in which case they will have syntax and, with plugins, error highlighting. Best of all, it's free!

I'd still say, if you're going to use the design view in a HTML editor, Microsoft Expression Web is the way to go. You can do proper CSS-based layouts with that, it can produce really clean markup and CSS styling, and as long as you don't set the background audio setting in Options, it's all completely valid. Shame about the price of all the software like this.

02-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Metal-CX is offline Metal-CX
Software:

Metal-CX is on a distinguished road

Old

Yeah, Notepad++ is pretty nice and relatively robust for free software.

Eclipse is probably the best one, but it's a shame it's Java based. I hate Java.

And stay AWAY from design views. Especially if you ever want to work as an HTML designer.

02-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Southern Media is offline Southern Media
Software:

Southern Media is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to Southern Media Send a message via AIM to Southern Media Send a message via MSN to Southern Media Send a message via Yahoo to Southern Media Send a message via Skype™ to Southern Media

Old

I use Dreamweaver/Notepad + TopStyle. It's a great combination =)

02-17-2008, 09:59 PM
mypaidhost is offline mypaidhost
Expertise:
Software:

mypaidhost is on a distinguished road

Old

It all depends on the person, everyone learns at different rates. Most people prefer dreamweaver, while others prefer Notepad. There is no one surefire software that will help a person learn.

02-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Alex Fraiser is offline Alex Fraiser
Software:

Alex Fraiser is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Alex Fraiser

Old

I used Dreamweaver and Notepad++. They make quite a good team.

02-18-2008, 05:34 AM
Retro_X is offline Retro_X
Expertise:
Software:

Retro_X is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Retro_X Send a message via MSN to Retro_X Send a message via Yahoo to Retro_X

Old

If you're on a mac: Textmate.

If you're on a PC: Notepad++

Closed Thread  
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5