Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1091 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Questions from a noob

Thread title: Questions from a noob

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
09-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Kvlt Kitty is offline Kvlt Kitty
Software:

Kvlt Kitty is on a distinguished road

Old  Questions from a noob

Hello all,

So I had some questions regarding the consistency of freelance programming and web design. Let me fill you in about myself a bit:

I am 22 years old currently and have spent three years studying music (two at a community college, and one at a UC) before returning home because the college was not for me. I have since declared a doubled major in music composition and computer science. I technically could transfer to another university the next coming fall, but I got a job doing desktop support, basic HTML, etc for a medical transcription company so I am going to stick around a few more years, save some money, get some certs (currently working on 70-680, 70-640, ICND 1-4, and CCNA), and knock out more of the lower division classes for my major. I figure that in two years I am going to move up north to Washington and will be applying for scholarships and grants so hopefully my tution will be paid (GPA has always been above 3.5). I will have enough money saved to take the hit for rent for a few years and make it up in the summer. My main concern however is living expenses (food, gas, etc). After three years of saving, I would like to try and keep my savings where it is at when I get up there.

This brings me to my first question. I was wondering how viable an option using sites like oDesk and doing freelance work by posting ads around campus and the area would be. I would only be looking to make around $500 a month. I figured I would ask on here being it seems like there's probably a lot of people who have had extensive experience with this.

My second question would be what classes in particular should I focus on for the next couple years? Like I said, I am taking courses that set me up to take multiple certification courses. In addition to these I will be taking all of the C++ and Java courses offered at the community college in my area. Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated.

Sorry for the length of this post. I tend to go into too much detail.