Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1360 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Sticky threads in 'Marketplace'

Thread title: Sticky threads in 'Marketplace'
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
01-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Jordan is offline Jordan
Expertise: CSS, HTML, PHP
Software: Sublime Text 2

Jordan is on a distinguished road

Old  Sticky threads in 'Marketplace'

Just noticed a thread was made a sticky in the marketplace for a company advertising their product/company.

I see no option for regular users to opt to make their thread a sticky. Why is this person "special" enough for a sticky thread? Is this going to be made available (via purchasing or something) or is this just a "sponsored" thread for TFL?

It's only a little disheartening since said OP is new and the first two posts to this community are.. in his/her own thread.

01-31-2011, 08:02 PM
SenseiSteve is offline SenseiSteve
Expertise: Sales & Marketing
Software: Dreamweaver and Photoshop

SenseiSteve is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to SenseiSteve Send a message via Skype™ to SenseiSteve

Old

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Just noticed a thread was made a sticky in the marketplace for a company advertising their product/company.

I see no option for regular users to opt to make their thread a sticky. Why is this person "special" enough for a sticky thread? Is this going to be made available (via purchasing or something) or is this just a "sponsored" thread for TFL?

It's only a little disheartening since said OP is new and the first two posts to this community are.. in his/her own thread.
While I'm not seeing this addressed in the rules, it does seem a little odd. Most forums require a minimum number of quality posts before they allow any advertisements - to encourage participation. I actually joined a forum last month that doesn't allow signatures for 90 days.

01-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

I'd rather not have the MP stuffed with spammy sticky threads like that. :/

No idea though.

02-03-2011, 05:42 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

A sticky thread is a paid option that will be a part of the Marketplace advertising only. Some clients choose to pay to have their advertising always available at the top of the marketplace forum of their choice for many reasons (don't want to wait, don't want to come back every X-number of days and post a new ad, etc).

Anyone can order one, as long as the product/service advertised is within the forum policy.

02-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Jordan is offline Jordan

Old

If "anyone" can order why is this not available when creating a new thread? Why has there been no announcement on this?

Also, shame that the first "example" of this feature is by someone who obviously joined just to advertise. Looks pretty piss poor to me.

02-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

If "anyone" can order why is this not available when creating a new thread? Why has there been no announcement on this?

There has been no announcement because I have not yet focused on ad sales, nor have I prepared any type of media kit. But it doesn't mean I am not approached by some of my clients or various other parties who are interested in advertising on TalkFreelance. Finding means of contact is not rocket science.

It is not available when creating a new thread because I choose to process all advertising requests manually.

Also, shame that the first "example" of this feature is by someone who obviously joined just to advertise. Looks pretty piss poor to me.

What rule prohibits people in joining TF just in order to advertise and/or use the marketplace? Advertising has also always been one of the forms of participation.

02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Jordan is offline Jordan

Old

Oh I forgot, you actually don't mind spam (in forms of threads and sigs), my bad!

That being said: Shame that you let some random new person who hasn't contributed before offering it up to active TFL people.

I like your initiative to accept money from people just joining TFL to advertise.

PS - Advertising has not "always been" one of the forms of participation here at TFL. Before the rule was removed, activity was required to post in Marketplace.

02-06-2011, 07:18 PM
KewL is offline KewL
Expertise: Design, Music, Xhtml, Css
Software: Photoshop, Coda, FL Studio

KewL is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Come on Jordan, is it that big of a deal? The forums not free to run you know. You always nit pick at every little thing on here, I think you should start your own forum if you don't like it.

On another note I cant see any of the active members here paying to have there thread stickied.

02-08-2011, 06:33 AM
localnode is offline localnode
Expertise: Web Hosting / Domain Names
Software:

localnode is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Hi,
While I have not got the minimum amount of posts required to post in the advertising section, I still sought the opportunity to advertise here at TalkFreelance.

We as a company actively advertise on HostingDiscussion, and are proud to be a sponsor of that forum.
We are also equally proud to support TalkFreelance, as hosting costs are not free, and for active forums such as these, the bills can get quite expensive.

In any case, it is not my intention to spam the forums, or disrupt any normal activity.

This is not the first example, Ypson advertises here in the form of sticky threads.

Also, I did not join just to advertise.

Such things might be hard to code. And nothing really beats manual verification, or talking about what advertising best suits a customers budget, and other such things.

Oh I forgot, you actually don't mind spam (in forms of threads and sigs), my bad!

That being said: Shame that you let some random new person who hasn't contributed before offering it up to active TFL people.

I like your initiative to accept money from people just joining TFL to advertise.

PS - Advertising has not "always been" one of the forms of participation here at TFL. Before the rule was removed, activity was required to post in Marketplace.
That is a bit uncalled for. If I decided to spam, I wouldn't have taken the time to post it in the right section. Maybe I'd get more views posting it in general discussion.
I also wouldn't have taken the time to view the other sections of the forum, and write this reply.

Regards,

02-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

I'm still intrigued as to why, even after this public discussion, no thread has been made offering this (sticky threads) to the member base here.

Artashes, whether you know it or not, you're doing the members (old and new) here a disservice by not also, publicly, openly and clearly offering them the same opportunity afforded to your advertisers from off-site.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >