Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2141 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Used a collection agency or gone to court?

Thread title: Used a collection agency or gone to court?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
07-29-2006, 04:58 PM
m23 is offline m23
Software:

m23 is on a distinguished road

Old  Used a collection agency or gone to court?

Unfortunately, I have a real problem client. In the end, everything may work out fine. But I need to start preparing for the worst -- not getting paid in full.

We signed a contract and everything is completely clear. So I know I have a good chance of winning in court, etc. or just using a collection agency.

Here are some details, just as an FYI. The job is for 36 hours. Due to the client making multiple changes over two months on a design that was officially approved. I created the design before I ever contacted her, which was a selling point for me -- see this design you could have ...

Well, she approved the design but has spent hour after hour changing it. So we are still on the home page and at around 30 hours into my time for the project. So we have 6 hours of my time left. And we have 23 more pages to go.

Hmmmm .... seems pretty obvious we're headed for trouble.

I have had dozens of emails and 4 or 5 phone conversations urging, pleading, warning the client that we must move on. She fully understands the situation and she is full aware that she will be charged extra. She has, so far, paid me for half the job, as the contract specifies.

The last half is due, according to the contract, when the site goes live. A mistake? Yes. I know. I know.

I have laid out a plan to finish the site in 6 hours. She hasn't finished all her cotent, but I'm making the rest of the pages with or without content. I'm doing whatever it takes. I will uphold my end of the deal and deliver 24 Web pages.

This could definitely be a mistake on my part. I recognize that. I could have dropped the client when we missed the deadline for the site and when she went over the hours she paid me for (I've been paid for 18 but have worked around 30). But I am determined to finish the site and see what happens. I really am curious. Maybe I'm sick

If I get the other half of the money, great. She has verbally told me she'll pay for the extra time. The contract specifies that I get paid for extra time. So great. But the history is that she has proven her word is unreliable. Everytime we agree to something (in terms of responsibilities, process, reviews, approvals, etc.), she assures me she'll cooperate and everything will work out. But then she changes later, which is why we are WAY over in terms of time. So there's a history.

MY QUESTION

Anyway, sorry for rambling but I thought an explanation would help give flesh to the problem, and it just feels good to complain

In the end, I don't want a lot of hassle to get the rest of the money (I have other clients and would rather move on). But this is a first for me, I've never had such a fruitcake for a client, and I want to follow this through all the way for the experience (which is bad but a good learning experience).

The contract specifies small claims court or an mutually agreed upon arbitrator. If anyone has any experience with getting money from deliquent clients, please let me know!

Thanks. Good day.