Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1387 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

The new TF marketplace

Thread title: The new TF marketplace
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
07-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old  The new TF marketplace

We are starting to wonder about what a modern marketplace of digital goods and web-based services should look like and how it should function. We'd like to brainstorm along with you.

What would you like to see and what kind of features/functionalities would you want from a marketplace if the marketplace was to grow and function as its own separate entity?

Marketplace can take different shapes: it can keep to same forum format, it can be an off the shelf product, it can be a custom application.

Do not limit yourself to the same forum format when requesting functionalities. If your idea, especially if you imagine it well, requires custom coding, please describe it. If it helps, submit a sketch for better visual. If you can make it a reality, submit a proposal to me by email. If you are aware of an application script that could come in handy, please link to it.

Cheers.

07-24-2010, 03:49 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

I'll probably reply with more thought at some later point, but my ongoing desire is something that you mentioned above: to make the marketplace its own separate entity (in essence, separate "business" from "pleasure" [that's not to mean just larking around]).

07-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Hero is offline Hero
Expertise:
Software:

Hero is on a distinguished road

Old

I'd also like to see it seperated, maybe not even listed in the subforums list but as some sort of seperate tab. An application something like sitepoint used to have, but keep it free

07-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

The thing I find most annoying about the marketplace is lack of quailty.

The only suggestion I can offer is somehow prevent the crap being listed, just outright stop people from listing until they're approved to sell things.

07-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Fez is offline Fez
Expertise: HTML, CSS, Wordpress, jQuery
Software: e-texteditor

Fez is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Fez

Old

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

The only suggestion I can offer is somehow prevent the crap being listed, just outright stop people from listing until they're approved to sell things.
Thats a great idea

However I think the exclusivity can be enforced after there are a fair few posts and after there is a lot of trade going on. It's so slow currently =|

07-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Salathe View Post
I'll probably reply with more thought at some later point, but my ongoing desire is something that you mentioned above: to make the marketplace its own separate entity (in essence, separate "business" from "pleasure" [that's not to mean just larking around]).
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
I'd also like to see it seperated, maybe not even listed in the subforums list but as some sort of seperate tab. An application something like sitepoint used to have, but keep it free

The original plan was to separate the community from the marketplace. That way we can expand the community discussions and also build a very nice and more efficient marketplace application.

How do you see such approval system working? How and who will make those calls?

07-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Fez is offline Fez
Expertise: HTML, CSS, Wordpress, jQuery
Software: e-texteditor

Fez is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Fez

Old

Originally Posted by Artashes View Post
How do you see such approval system working? How and who will make those calls?
Creating a vB user group for "merchants" or "marketplace sellers" or whatever, and set it up so that people can apply to join. You can put links around the forums saying that if you want to make sales on our marketplace you must apply with so and so details.

The users will apply for the group and a moderator can review whether or not he fits the requirements and take a decision accordingly.

07-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

A good idea in theory, but I don't see a way to do it in practice. Who here can definitely define what is crap and what is not?

A good addition would be a proper auction system, one that actually accepts bids, BINs and ends at a certain time. The only auction I was a part of here (years ago) ended with the guy editing his post to create a reserve so he wouldn't have to give me the design for my bid. An auction system would help remedy situations like that.

07-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
A good idea in theory, but I don't see a way to do it in practice. Who here can definitely define what is crap and what is not?
There isn't a way to do this pleasing everyone, I also think pleasing shouldn't be a priorite, we should be harsh as possible and kickass.

Heres how I see it.

Put together a team and entrust them to decide if said designer is worthy of selling their work. Between 3-4 people we can easily make the correct decision 99% of the time.

Sure, some people will be disgruntled because they're are refused but they're a minority and a casualty to a greater good.

The marketplace activity will probably take a sudden dip but the quality will rise, as will TF's reputation as a quaility marketplace. Shaping the mould for perfect growth.

07-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

There isn't a way to do this pleasing everyone, I also think pleasing shouldn't be a priorite, we should be harsh as possible and kickass.
That's the single most obnoxious sentiment I've seen on this subject. I really hope you're not serious about wanting to screen only folks who meet your definition of "worthiness". Wow, Artashes, your new staff really have their heads screwed on!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >