Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1470 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Do you think the Internet will collapse?

Thread title: Do you think the Internet will collapse?
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
08-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Ninham is offline Ninham
Expertise:
Software:

Ninham is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Ninham Send a message via Yahoo to Ninham

Old  Do you think the Internet will collapse?

Do you think the Internet will collapse?

Well i don't know.

For about 20 years this has been on debate in lots of forums and mags i thought i would get your thoughts. I cant be the only one were my life would stop if the Internet was not here and i bet it is the same with you.

Is the Internet over loaded?

Recently, theres been some concern that the Internet could potentially collapse under its own weight. Fibre-optic cable might become over loaded: there are now over a billion internet users and it is growing fast. With all these new viedo sharing website there is even more data flying about the world.

Its predicted in 2012 just twenty homes in Scotland will generate the same volume of traffic that was carried on the Internet as a hole in 1996.

Crying Wolf

This has not been the first time some experts have predicted that the Internet would collapse, in 1995 Bob Matcalfe, the man who invented the Ethernet claimed that the Internet would collapse at some point in 1996, and he promised to eat his words if it didn't (he then ended up having to chomp on a printout of his words, and has later refused to make similar promises in relation to his other predictions. Seems his words didn't taste very nice, or something). lol

Save Our Internet

There is so much spam and viruses going round these days i think that these alone will make the Internet collapse.
What would happen if we did not have any Internet we would not be able to email friends, post on great forums, chat with friends on yahoo or msn and we would have to down the local bank and get some money out to pay for groceries.

I don't think this will happen because the servers will get more power full and we will find a way to make it last, but thats just me, what do you think?

08-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Immersion is offline Immersion
Software:

Immersion is on a distinguished road

Old

Well a large chunk of the internet can break, if someone goes and blows up a few google buildings. Google have servers that connect places like american to the rest of the internet, or so it has been reported.

I doubt it will collapse and if it did it would just be remade, i dont see how it would collapse as we would just have more servers sharing the load at vital points and more cables. Think of the money and all the business that rely on the internet they have so much relying on it and so much money in alot of cases that i dont see it going down soon.

08-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

these assumptions assume that there are no experts woking on these things, which there are. Its not even logical to say that the internet will colapse under its own weight.

08-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Marky is offline Marky
Expertise:
Software:

Marky is on a distinguished road

Old

Technically speaking, the internet is unable to colapse under it's own weight. Really your able to send an unlimited amount of data to anywhere around the world. However, the internet is growing and growing, with thousands of new domain names being registered and websites being built, it could get overloaded. Im sure they'll think of a solution. But it'll take many years to come, there are so many domain extensions available nowadays...

08-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Josh.UK is offline Josh.UK
Expertise:
Software:

Josh.UK is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
these assumptions assume that there are no experts woking on these things, which there are. Its not even logical to say that the internet will colapse under its own weight.
Aggreed

08-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Joe is offline Joe
Software:

Joe is on a distinguished road

Old

It's not going to collapse since the internet is not running from one datacentre. If there is an overload in one specific cable it won't affect the whole internet and even this is very unlikely as it is.

08-31-2007, 06:28 PM
daz is offline daz
Expertise:
Software:

daz is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to daz

Old

The internet will continue to expand and develop. With new technologies developed every day, I can't see the internet collapsing anytime soon.

08-31-2007, 08:30 PM
PN-Matt is offline PN-Matt
Expertise:
Software:

PN-Matt is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by joe View Post
It's not going to collapse since the internet is not running from one datacentre. If there is an overload in one specific cable it won't affect the whole internet and even this is very unlikely as it is.
Exactly... to a user who isn't web savvy it is believable.

However we know nothing stands still and technology is always moving forward. I think it's very unlikely the Internet will collapse. We aren't using the same exchanges, cables, datacentres and the like. As technology evolves we will be able to handle high traffic/high load situations a lot better.

08-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Ninham is offline Ninham
Expertise:
Software:

Ninham is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Ninham Send a message via Yahoo to Ninham

Old

I agree with all your comments

But i just wanted to know what other people thought

09-02-2007, 04:02 PM
epixal is offline epixal
Software:

epixal is on a distinguished road

Old

Just imagine that, waking up one morning, and nothing works. Just seeing 'Page has timed out.' on every single website you visit.

How many would curl up in a ball ?:-p

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >