Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1223 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Using a pseudonym (Alias) – What about the Agreements?

Thread title: Using a pseudonym (Alias) – What about the Agreements?
10-12-2012, 08:18 AM
kamkar is offline kamkar
Software:

kamkar is on a distinguished road

Old  Using a pseudonym (Alias) – What about the Agreements?

My first post here, so, hi everybody!

I have been working as a Freelance SEO Consultant and Professional for more than a year now. Earlier, I use to work in a company, where they made us use a pseudonyms (penname), no sinister purpose at all, but just to make us sound more in sync with our target audience. So all my online work, social profiles, networking, and conversations carry that pseudonym, and because I had to make the most of that work and contact when I was looking for my first few projects as a freelancer, I decided to carry the pseudonym, which is not a problem, except when someone asks me to sign a simple agreement (e.g. Non-Disclosure Agreement).

What should I do with the agreement? Sign it while using my penname? I am sure some of you must be using alias as well, how do you deal with these situations? Again, I don’t have anything to hide, it’s just that after a lot of commute, I don’t feel comfortable telling the client that I am not “Jessica Miller” and my real name is Bilal Chishti (not the real names but you must have got the idea).

10-19-2012, 08:51 AM
FreelanceScribbler is offline FreelanceScribbler
Expertise: SEO, Copywriting
Software: Excel, Notepad, Photoshop

FreelanceScribbler is on a distinguished road

Old

For all legal stuff you should use your real name.
If it's a different gender then you'd have some SERIOUS trust issues with a client.

10-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

kamkar, where are you located?

There are some differences in the rules of each country (and sometimes state) regarding use and disclosure of pseudonyms,aliases, etc.

You need to investigate the rules of the country where the agreement(s) you sign is/are enforced as well as those of the country where you reside.

Keep in mind that it is extremely likely that a document signed by you as [pseudonym] that does not disclose your legal name is probably not valid, almost certainly not enforceable and may open you to charges of fraud, as well.

10-22-2012, 03:43 AM
Sevencomet is offline Sevencomet
Software: photoshop,excel

Sevencomet is on a distinguished road

Old

Pen names can be a trouble,especially when introducing yourself to people. You can't use your pen name unless you get it legalise by the state or country you are from. Best to talk to a lawyer, mine suggest use the name as a business name,so I can use the name on contracts or sign for it using my real name. Its beats changing it. If that fails or doesn't work for you, let your clients know that its your pen name you are using . Don't worry they won't take it that hard as many persons use it like JD Robb- Nora Roberts. Hope that helps.