Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1509 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Disaster Planning

Thread title: Disaster Planning
10-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old  Disaster Planning

As some of you may know the Caribbean, the Eastern United States and Eastern Canada are experiencing what's known around here as "heavy weather."

The New York City Department of Small Business sent out an email on Sunday (read it here) to encourage all owners of small businesses to prepare for the possibilities of flooding, fire, long-term power outages that require you to move work location, etc.

I thought this was an excellent list, even if many of the suggestions aren't relevant to my own business. As it happens, I'm in the midst of teaching an online course about establishing a professional practice, and we'd been talking about business risks and disaster plans. This list describes many of the basics we'd discussed, and that freelancers and small business owners sometimes forget.

So, to those of you who run a business, I'm wondering: Have you established a disaster plan? Do you have one in your head, even? Have you identified and isolated the basic information you'd need if you had to move from wherever you work now?

12-02-2012, 05:55 AM
concerto49 is offline concerto49
Software:

concerto49 is on a distinguished road

Old

Always store multiple copies of things. Have offsite backup. Always make sure websites and any servers etc have built-in redundancy and other measures. If e.g. a data center goes down - make sure it can failover to a warm/hot failover instance so you'll have little downtime.