Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1691 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

Help! Adding multimedia presentation to website

Thread title: Help! Adding multimedia presentation to website
Closed Thread    
06-24-2008, 07:12 PM
gradyl is offline gradyl
Software:

gradyl is on a distinguished road

Old  Help! Adding multimedia presentation to website

Hi,

I am a freelance web/graphic designer with a client who essentially wants to add a presentation into a website, and I need some advice from you gurus about the best way/technologies to accomplish this.

They want the presentation to:
- Include voice-over narration
- Include supplemental text and images to support the narration
- Include interactive elements such as timelines, where the user can scroll and reveal/hide content.
- Include 'talking head' (or other) videos
- Be editable by themselves on PC (add or change content.. mainly text I think)
- Fit into quite a small content area in their website's template (I'm thinking the only way this will work is to provide links that will open the presentation full screen. There's simply not enough real estate on their site's template to display an effective presentation - make sense?)

They seem geared towards using all Flash and avoiding PowerPoint - yet they freely admit to knowing little about these technologies. I think they largely just want it to look 'cool', have interactivity, and not look like a typical lousy PP presentation with plain bullet points, etc.

However, I have to think that if they want to be able to edit content themselves, then the all-Flash route is a no-go (other than editing basic linked text files to make minor text edits). In that case I would possibly suggest PP 2008; but still incorporating uneditable, interactive Flash animations along with editable content (yet I haven't worked with PP in this capacity - so I don't know how well it works with incorporating sound/video/Flash for the web.)

So... any ideas of what technologies would be best to serve up a presentation like this on a website? Powerpoint w/Flash? All Flash - and just tell them that it's not editable at their end? Something else?

Thanks in advance for the help!

07-11-2008, 05:06 AM
Xavier_3D is offline Xavier_3D
Expertise:
Software:

Xavier_3D is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Xavier_3D Send a message via Yahoo to Xavier_3D

Old

I think you should Try Action Scripting in this Case. It allows you to Edit Text from an outside Source, a Simple Text File in most cases.

Go For Flash.

07-11-2008, 03:58 PM
sriram is offline sriram
Expertise:
Software:

sriram is on a distinguished road

Old

u have any portfolio?

08-17-2008, 10:47 AM
davewolf is offline davewolf
Software:

davewolf is on a distinguished road

Old

You can use loadvar to load variables from txt files.

08-29-2008, 02:45 AM
sjs is offline sjs
Software:

sjs is on a distinguished road

Old

I have been working with media integration on the web for a long time. I have struggled with every kind of video player and I have had the best experience with Flash Video. I would not really suggest letting the client do any kind of editing of the video or even text. It is best to either work next to them while editing or edit and submit for review and notes. As far as display I just completed a web design were I used javascript, divs, css to do a modal popup to display the video player. Check it out here:

http://stage.mtssafety.com/subsites/tube/page2.aspx

Click on the lower left image to see a talking head type video.

Shawn

Closed Thread