Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1910 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     News and Announcements :

Never Gonna Give You Up

Thread title: Never Gonna Give You Up
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
04-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Conrad is offline Conrad
Software:

Conrad is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Conrad

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
I use adblock, so Zee doesn't make a penny off of me.

The ads still displayed, so I don't exactly see what the point of all this was. Zee stops by every three months or so, the chances are pretty low he would notice this. I don't really care that the forum was closed, I just think it was ineffective.
See the point in all what? Seeing that there Google ( PPC ) and like many other users on the old TFL skin I think the ads are displayed in maybe 3 places on the site, and I think in all the 3 years I have been on the site I have never clicked. Anthony and Robson were making money by selling private banners and not using PPC ( to what I can remember ). Like I said I was just assuming, that he was treating it as a lost cause.

04-07-2009, 02:00 PM
hjalmar is offline hjalmar
Expertise:
Software:

hjalmar is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Been staring att this thread a few times now and im lost for words on how low and childish some of you guys behaviour is.

What gives you guys the right to put down this community, and even thinking of removing the ads on here. Really had higher thoughts about some of you but damn grow up.

I'm really trying my hardest to be constructive but i fail to see all the fuzz about zee not being an active member. what would be different if he where? i don't see talkfreelance any different from when Anthony or Robson owned it (except a failed uploading function ) maybe thats the point i guess but why the complaining now?

And i quote.

The staff will not push the site to what it can be (what it used to be, perhaps) without an active owner.
The site is the same, the community is different. people come and go, get other priorities. work/college/family or whatever and the circle starts all over with new ones trying to get into the game it's nothing new and certainly not zee's fault we(all members here) can't keep a high, quality and friendly environment(sp?).

I'm sure more people would help you guys out moderating, tips & trix/tutorials, guidlines in specific area etc, i know i am willing to do it as far as my knowledge goes.

So please keep it mature, messing up this community because you don't like how someone runs his business is just stupid.

04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

VI, it was ineffective purely because I care more about the community than whether or not Zee saw what we did. The original intention was just to leave it, for Zee to see and change back to normal. For him to notice, it would've had to have been closed for much longer than a few hours: however I'd rather have the community here than stop all movement just for his sake.

With regards to other responses, it's good to see a generally positive outlook from people. However, it has all been said before with nothing ever acted upon. I'm guilty of that, you're guilty of that. It's fine saying something like, "well who cares if he's not here, we as a community can make it what we want" (along the lines of "while the cat is away, the mice will play") but the fact is we haven't. That's still an opportunity for us, if we choose to take it.

With regards to why Zee not being here is an issue, for me at least, here goes. The ads here won't be making much revenue (almost certainly not enough to pay for a dedicated server) and the owner clearly doesn't want to have any direct involvement with the site. Those things lead me to believe, pessimistic as it may be, that at any moment he really might just give it up as a lost cause—wasted CPU cycles—and just shut the doors. There's nothing that leads me to conclude that he'll forever keep the server running just for fun or just "because it's there" other than pure optimism.

04-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Aros is offline Aros
Expertise:
Software:

Aros is on a distinguished road

Old

This reminds me much of yaXay...

Why don't you get people ported over to a TF 'duplicate' under better ownership?

04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

It would be illegal...

04-07-2009, 04:16 PM
chaka42 is offline chaka42
Expertise:
Software:

chaka42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to chaka42 Send a message via MSN to chaka42 Send a message via Skype™ to chaka42

Old

I don't think he means an exact duplicate, but another freelance community that current TF members can actively manage. You know, with a site manager that actually takes an active role in.

04-07-2009, 04:46 PM
nomatch is offline nomatch
Software:

nomatch is on a distinguished road

Old

I would totally agree with Aros - create a similar website, maybe install the members database at the new site, I know it might be "unethical" but it's also unethical to purchase a community and leave it in the dark. I would vote for Salathe to be the new owner as he seems quite experienced in running large forums.

Salathe, do you not already have access to the databases/site already? Did you sign some sort of agreement not to use the files, if not, I don't see anything illegal in that - he has the access/permissions already.

BTW, I wonder how many people got rick rolld!?

04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by textz View Post
I would totally agree with Aros - create a similar website, maybe install the members database at the new site, I know it might be "unethical" but it's also unethical to purchase a community and leave it in the dark. I would vote for Salathe to be the new owner as he seems quite experienced in running large forums.

Salathe, do you not already have access to the databases/site already? Did you sign some sort of agreement not to use the files, if not, I don't see anything illegal in that - he has the access/permissions already.

BTW, I wonder how many people got rick rolld!?
When staff comes, you don't need a contract to make it illegal to steal content. All content on the site in the intellectual property of Zee or the original owners. That would be like me creating a new mortgage company and taking all the clients of my current one since I can access their websites. That is illegal.

04-07-2009, 05:21 PM
SteveB is offline SteveB
Software:

SteveB is on a distinguished road

Old

trying to prove a point or not your messing with someone elses site.

If you want to prove a point then stop moderating the forums and let it die. I would have been ****ed if I saw that last night and I was the owner, which may have been the intentions but it's not your site to play with and you had no right to do that.

I am not that active within the actual community boards and I don't know a lot of the background of what is going on but that was extremely childish.

04-07-2009, 06:03 PM
nomatch is offline nomatch
Software:

nomatch is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
When staff comes, you don't need a contract to make it illegal to steal content. All content on the site in the intellectual property of Zee or the original owners. That would be like me creating a new mortgage company and taking all the clients of my current one since I can access their websites. That is illegal.
I guess so, but I'm sure it says something about that in your contract with your firm?

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >