Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1072 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     News and Announcements :

New Budget Forums for the Marketplace

Thread title: New Budget Forums for the Marketplace
Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
05-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Wildhoney is offline Wildhoney
Expertise:
Software:

Wildhoney is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Wildhoney Send a message via MSN to Wildhoney Send a message via Yahoo to Wildhoney

Old

I personally feel this is a good idea. TalkFreelance, sadly, is saturated with teenagers who are looking for jobs done for the cheapest price possible, while not understanding what goes into it, and, evidently, end up with appalling work. This is why I don't often get my work on TFL anymore, but this may well kick it back into shape.

05-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Bennett is offline Bennett
Expertise:
Software:

Bennett is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Bennett

Old

Originally Posted by Wildhoney View Post
I personally feel this is a good idea. TalkFreelance, sadly, is saturated with teenagers who are looking for jobs done for the cheapest price possible, while not understanding what goes into it, and, evidently, end up with appalling work. This is why I don't often get my work on TFL anymore, but this may well kick it back into shape.

Thank you; you got exactly why I pushed for this. At one point in time, TF provided many designers with plenty of work until masses of basically 'bad labor' moved in, overcrowded, and scared away most full time freelancers.

05-09-2007, 02:52 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

It's flawed though.

Take Programming for example, say you have a job for $30 and post it in the "Budget Section", the job may not be that big, e.g It might be a simple bug fixing job that isn't even worth $10.....but you might want it done to a high standard. But, because it's in a sub-forum entitled "budget" are the decent programmers even going to bother looking?

05-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by BidJam View Post
It's flawed though.

Take Programming for example, say you have a job for $30 and post it in the "Budget Section", the job may not be that big, e.g It might be a simple bug fixing job that isn't even worth $10.....but you might want it done to a high standard. But, because it's in a sub-forum entitled "budget" are the decent programmers even going to bother looking?

I'm sure a decent programmer will beable to tell the differences between a quick properly marked $30 job and a 2 week project marked at $30.

Sure everything has flaws, but in the long run we're hoping the benefits of building for people who take pride in their work out weigh people who are killing out marketplace.

05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Big Zee is offline Big Zee
Software:

Big Zee is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by BidJam View Post
It's flawed though.

You are never going to get a perfect solution, but hopefully it will be an improvement on what it is now. A lot of programmers will not even look at a job thats worth less than $100 no matter what it is - it cost them more in time faffing around with payments, talking stuff though, uploading, downloading, testing etc than its worth for them.

The idea is that we are setting a sort of level that we think is a resonable base price for work - and if you are looking to get work for less then you can't really expect it to be of a decent standard.

05-09-2007, 03:23 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I like the idea, but all this will do is have 2 levels
level one, cheap stuff, some bad and some good
level two, expensive stuff, some bad some good

Its separating the quality work that we need to do, not the cheap work.

on the upside, I will like looking for programming jobs that go for real money, I will enjoy that allot. So I guess it is a good thing, as it will pressure the good designers/programmers to charge more. I dont like how cheap stuff on TF goes

05-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Andrew R is offline Andrew R
Expertise:
Software:

Andrew R is on a distinguished road

Old

Question: You say that the programming section will be < $100 (the budget one), but lets say I advertise all my coding services in one thread. My prices for Wordpress will be above $100, but my regular XHTML/CSS will be a bit less (I may move it up when I launch my site, though), where could I put this besides making two threads?

05-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Expertise:
Software:

Old

I see no reason allowing you to advertise a service less than the limit with one that is higher than the limit as long as its not a "budget" price.

I'm sure most of us can tell the differences between fair pricing and people who should not be in freelancing =p

05-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Bazza` is offline Bazza`
Expertise:
Software:

Bazza` is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I like the idea, but all this will do is have 2 levels
level one, cheap stuff, some bad and some good
level two, expensive stuff, some bad some good

Its separating the quality work that we need to do, not the cheap work.

on the upside, I will like looking for programming jobs that go for real money, I will enjoy that allot.
Separating the quality workers from the bad workers is what iTrader is for. The whole point of this is to separate cheap work from higher paying work in an attempt to curve the ever lowering rates within the MarketPlace. If we don't try and do this it wont be long before the MarketPlace is completely un-worthwhile for freelancers. Some will even tell you it's already gotten to this level. Although we don't just want to help stop this from happening we also want to help the freelancers from under charging and help to realize that at times they are simply being ripped off and that offering extremely cheap work is helping nobody.

With that said, there is of course a market for budget work and there is nothing wrong with that. That is why the budget forum has been introduced.

05-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Kristien is offline Kristien
Expertise:
Software:

Kristien is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Kristien

Old

why not just have a "high-roller" forum or something like that because not many things on TFL are above $150 if they are just templates or small coding etc.

*Basically, there are way more items below < $150 as opposed to items above

Closed Thread  
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >