Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1617 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Cut back on the # of forums

Thread title: Cut back on the # of forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
10-30-2010, 10:57 PM
KewL is offline KewL
Expertise: Design, Music, Xhtml, Css
Software: Photoshop, Coda, FL Studio

KewL is an unknown quantity at this point

Old  Cut back on the # of forums

This is just my opinion, but I think there are way to many forums/sub-forums considering the low income of new posts/threads per day. Honestly I only see about 10-15 new posts a day (correct me if I'm wrong) and about 20-30 forums/sub forums.

I've read (and always followed) that you're supposed to start out with a few forums and then expand as the activity grows. I think you guys should cut back on the number of forums (well mainly sub-forums) by generalizing and combining them.

For instance, We have the programming forum with 6 sub-forums. Do we really need 7 forums to hold 10-20 new threads this month? Why not just have just one forum for programming as a whole. People label what the threads are about in the thread title anyway. Same goes with "Graphic Design and Multimedia", I think you could clean up the market place too. I don't see a point in have Budget Sub-forums (thats just me though, i'm sure a lot of people like the budget idea).

Anyway, you guys (and jordan) get the point. This is just my opinion, and in my experience it has always worked well. It would make the forums look a lot more active and threads would be a lot more accessible for people who don't look very deep.

10-30-2010, 11:11 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I agree that some merging is needed. The programming forum can just be one forum, there is no need to separate various languages. Same goes for the Graphic Design and Multimedia forum. The budget forums are pointless because they failed their task of separating quality from cheap.

10-30-2010, 11:23 PM
KewL is offline KewL

Old

Glad to here someone agrees with me

10-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Suppose we cut down on the number of some sub-forums, which I agree always looks cleaner and more active (per forum ratio so to speak). Imagine if the forums pick up more activity in the future (which is what we hope for) and then we'll have to split them all apart again, except that it will take a lot more time to go through hundreds of threads, moving one at a time to appropriate forum.

The activity actually has picked up since the summer time, with twice more posts per month than in May, the slowest month this year. We just need more quality focus on community forums instead of the marketplace.

10-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by Artashes View Post
Suppose we cut down on the number of some sub-forums, which I agree always looks cleaner and more active (per forum ratio so to speak). Imagine if the forums pick up more activity in the future (which is what we hope for) and then we'll have to split them all apart again, except that it will take a lot more time to go through hundreds of threads, moving one at a time to appropriate forum.
Threads in those forums only stay active for short amounts of time, you can just make the new forums and it will all be good in a short amount of time. Since this is not an uncommon situation there is probably a mod to ease this process.

10-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Forgot to mention another obvious benefit for having more subject-targeted forums: the search engine one.

In the meantime, please suggest which forums do you see as realistically good candidates for merger and we'll consider.

10-31-2010, 12:14 AM
KewL is offline KewL

Old

Originally Posted by Artashes View Post

The activity actually has picked up since the summer time, with twice more posts per month than in May, the slowest month this year. We just need more quality focus on community forums instead of the marketplace.
I don't know much about SEO so I wont say anything about that. Sure It will be some work to separate the threads again when needed, but I don't see that happening for a very long time. I think anything that makes the place look cleaner and more active is worth it at this point. Plus as VG said there probably is a mod to make it simpler. I put a layout of how I would have it if this was my forum. Ofcoase i wouldn't expect you to change it according to me, but its something to keep in mind and possably give your self some ideas on how to clean this place up.

TalkFreelance Information
News and Announcements
Suggestions & Feedback
General Discussion
> Introductions
>Member Website Announcements

Marketplace
Websites
Designs
Domain Names
Other
Services Offered

Design & Developement
HTML/XHTML/DHTML/CSS
Programing
Graphic Design

Business and Website Management
Marketing & Advertising
Webhosting & Domain Chat
Contracts, Business & Legal Help
Articles

This would drop the forum count down from 49 to 17. Do you realize how long it takes to go through 49 forums and check all the new posts. It's a pain in the ass, back in the day I'd come to TF and be able to cover the whole board in 10 minutes. These day i don't even look in a lot of forums.

Keep this concept in mind, the layout is just an example.

Thanked by:
Artashes (11-01-2010)
10-31-2010, 12:36 AM
Jordan is offline Jordan
Expertise: CSS, HTML, PHP
Software: Sublime Text 2

Jordan is on a distinguished road

Old

I know some people browse differently but did you ever just try to utilize the New Posts feature? This is a godsend for EVERY forum I'm on (My 'forum' bookmark folder consists of all getdaily links so I can go straight through to see what new all new posts.

However, I definitely don't disagree with the suggestion--it would definitely benefit from receiving a de-clutterization and re-organization.

10-31-2010, 12:51 AM
KewL is offline KewL

Old

Yeah I know about this featured but i never use it, and i don't think the majority of casual posts do, but who knows.

10-31-2010, 04:03 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Agree, the forum needs not minor, but major restructuring.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >