Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1227 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming     Flash and Actionscript :

Flash slideshow

Thread title: Flash slideshow
Closed Thread    
07-17-2008, 12:48 PM
chaka42 is offline chaka42
Expertise:
Software:

chaka42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to chaka42 Send a message via MSN to chaka42 Send a message via Skype™ to chaka42

Old  Flash slideshow

I'm trying to find a Flash slideshow option that would be easy for a novice to add and remove images easily. By easy, I mean I have a client with little to no knowledge of web design. Heck, they can barely manage themselves around a browser.

Anyway, two of the options I've looked at are SimpleViewer and Slideshow Pro. The first requires some knowledge of XML and image resizing, while the latter knowledge of XML. Is there anything out there where the client can simply add/remove images to/from a folder and be done?

Any help is appreciated.

07-18-2008, 12:46 AM
Tom W is offline Tom W
Software:

Tom W is on a distinguished road

Old

The problem is that Flash won't be able to read your new images in a folder unless you give it the names of those files. It would have to use a back end script to get the contents of that folder. I would suggest looking for a slideshow that does that, or once you have that in place and return a list into Flash, any slideshow would do. That way your client would just drop images into a folder and not worry about anything else.

07-18-2008, 01:06 AM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

it's theoretically possible, but it's going to rely on so many parameters there's not going to be anything out of the box for you.

theoretically you could use a php script to crawl the contents of a directory, build an array then send it to flash via flash vars, then build your image selection based off that variable, which requires a lot of flash knowledge to pull off.

a second solution could be similar: use php (or any server side language) to crawl the directory then open/edit the xml. flash is client side, so in theory the server side work should be done with the xml file before flash asks for it.

i've done similar type deals with javascipt powered scripts.

Closed Thread