Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1255 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Website redesign issue

Thread title: Website redesign issue
08-25-2011, 03:38 PM
wallflower is offline wallflower
Software:

wallflower is on a distinguished road

Old  Website redesign issue

Hi all, I'm looking for a little advice. I have been a freelance graphic designer and just finished school for web design. I am looking to add more experience and websites to my portfolio before really seeking out work.

I came across a local company's website (whom I frequent) and saw their current design was poor. I designed a mockup of a page I had in mind for a redesign. I approached them with an offer to redesign and maintain the updates for the site, all at no charge (trying to help the company while gaining experience for my freelance business).

I had assumed they maintained the site themselves. After they agreed and were eager to use my design. But afterward, I heard from the current web "designer" that they wanted my files after I designed the pages and they would be taking care of the updates and upload.

Had I known another designer was in the picture, I wouldn't have made my offer. Seeing I offered a redesign of a website, you can only imagine how poorly done the website was in the first place.

My issue is, the person who had created the initial site and will do the updates, I see has no design skill nor much html knowledge. I am seeking to build a name, a reputation for myself. Once I let go of my design files, I'm out. This person could literally destroy the site I worked on with their lack of design skills. They also have the site featured on their portfolio, would they still try to claim credit, even though it is my design and code?

Seeing I'm new at all this, I'm really not sure what to do. Do I talk to the company in question with my concerns? Do I walk away to not risk ruining a good reputation I'm trying to gain? I want to help the company have a nicely designed website, but yet I want to help myself gain clientele.

I would appreciate any input on what to do from those with experience.

08-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Gatt is offline Gatt
Expertise: Design & Development
Software: Photoshop

Gatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to Gatt Send a message via Skype™ to Gatt

Old

Personally I wouldn't risk it if there's another web designer. Unless you have a contract with the company you're working with (Even though you're doing it for free) you will always be at risk. I'm no expert but I wouldn't risk it if I were you. There are plenty of opportunities for you if you're really willing to do websites for free.

If I were you I'd find some small projects (on here or on other forums/websites) and start building your portfolio. From there you'll gain experience in designing/programming, and also add some work to your portfolio.

Remember to start small, every little job is experience.

Thanked by:
wallflower (08-25-2011)
08-25-2011, 04:16 PM
wallflower is offline wallflower
Software:

wallflower is on a distinguished road

Old

Hi Gatt,

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it! I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I just need to figure out how I approach the company, since they think I'm working on the design. Since I offered the whole package, I figured that was the plan. But after the company said to go ahead, then I found out about the other designer's intentions of making the updates.

08-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Reynaldo11 is offline Reynaldo11
Software:

Reynaldo11 is on a distinguished road

Old

I suggest you to drop the plan.If you are good in web designing then you can build a better future.A good design is required to generate traffic to the website. Web designers play a vital role in online marketing.

08-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Lowengard is offline Lowengard
Expertise: all editorial, bsns consulting
Software: zotero

Lowengard is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Wallflower--
Here's how I read the timeline of this venture:
1. You finish a class in web design.
This opens your eyes to all the new design possibilities, and makes very clear to you how many people have really lousy sites
2. You want to build or start your business.
It seems logical to start with companies you know/use that have these bad websites. As a customer, you know their stuff. You identify one or two or a few.
3. You stop in or call or email. You have a valuable proposition for them. You will redesign their crappy website make it look new and up-to-date. . .and it won't cost them a thing.
They get: a better site. You get: something to add to your portfolio.
4. The potential client says yes.
What does he have to lose? You're offering to give him something without any real way to demand that he use it.
5. It then turns out that the potential client has an established arrangement with another designer.
That arrangement includes exactly the control you're hoping they'll give you once you've re-designed the site.
6. You decide that arrangement is not going to help you build your business in any meaningful way and decide to drop it.

This is a classic example of why this approach is not a great way to build your business. If, that is, you're serious about having a lasting business. What happened?

1. Giving in to the arrogance of the new graduate, you see yourself as The Authority. You assume that everyone will want to take advantage of all this new information you can share with them.
This a not-unusual response to learning something new, especially if it rearranges your own ideas about something you've been doing for a while. It's not limited to web designers, or even creatives. It's a little like religious proselytizing: you've got this great message you want to bring to everyone.
2. You also interpret the fact that a website doesn't impress you to mean that the shop or service doesn't have a designer, a design policy or long or short-range plans regarding the website.
What can I say? Do your research. Do your research before you approach the client. How much time did you spend on this project that will now go nowhere? How much of the work you did/lessons you learned can be transferred to another job?
3. When the scenario you've concocted in your head doesn't work out, you're wounded.

My conclusion is that this venture was all about you, and not about your potential client or that client's needs and how you could serve them. And you didn't really have a plan larger than "lets see what happens if I do this." Many people who start businesses are fooled by the "oh it's easy, you just have to [do this]" descriptions. If you're moonlighting or don't need a steady income it can be easy. Otherwise. . .well, it just isn't.

09-12-2011, 05:49 PM
CreativeDesigns is offline CreativeDesigns
Expertise: Web Design, Graphic Design
Software: Photoshop,InDesign,Illustrator

CreativeDesigns is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to CreativeDesigns

Old

Hey Wallflower.. Unfortunately we live and learn - and this industry comes with a LOT of learning curves. The number one rule is to always have contracts in place. The contract should essentially say that by you providing your free redesign service, that they agree to get you to do the maintenance on the site etc.
I am not sure if you have already handed over the open files and such to the client? If not, I think you should go to them with a contract and ask them to sign it. At the end of the day, by you giving those files to this character who knows little about design etc, he could easily try to pull it off as his own.. that's a concern.

One thing we know though is that you won't make this mistake again Good luck!

09-12-2011, 08:15 PM
chaka42 is offline chaka42
Expertise:
Software:

chaka42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to chaka42 Send a message via MSN to chaka42 Send a message via Skype™ to chaka42

Old

Since Lowengard said much of what I was thinking, I'll try to help with your last question/concern:

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it! I'm thinking along the same lines as you. I just need to figure out how I approach the company, since they think I'm working on the design. Since I offered the whole package, I figured that was the plan. But after the company said to go ahead, then I found out about the other designer's intentions of making the updates.
To be honest, I'd give them a call, or better, schedule a meeting with the people you met with initially. If they want to include they're web designer, fine, but I wouldn't request that he/she be present. At your meeting, you mention your concerns and the stipulations by which your offer was based. Then simply let them know you appreciate the opportunity to assist them but that you cannot offer the services for free. You made it clear from the beginning that the offer included site maintenance, and without that, it's not valid. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

09-13-2011, 06:36 AM
CreativeDesigns is offline CreativeDesigns
Expertise: Web Design, Graphic Design
Software: Photoshop,InDesign,Illustrator

CreativeDesigns is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to CreativeDesigns

Old

Originally Posted by chaka42 View Post
Then simply let them know you appreciate the opportunity to assist them but that you cannot offer the services for free. You made it clear from the beginning that the offer included site maintenance, and without that, it's not valid.
I agree 100%.. They can't expect to have their cake and eat it too.. Please let us know what you decide to do, and what the outcome is