Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1441 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Web Hosting and Domain Names :

Domain Scam or Something Else?

Thread title: Domain Scam or Something Else?
11-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Big Zee is offline Big Zee
Software:

Big Zee is on a distinguished road

Old  Domain Scam or Something Else?

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a domain name, and was wondering if any of you have seen this before and whether its a scam or just some error.

I went to http://www.aplus.net/ - searched for a domain that is registered with them, but is due to be deleated shortly. Did the search and it came up as available.

OK nice I thought - maybe if you go to where the domain is registered, they probably have the latest records, and it may have indeed expired.

Out of curiosity I tapped in a name of a site I know is registered to someone else - and that showed up as available as well.

Ok, I thought maybe their system is just not working at all, so I tapped in "google" - UMM now these all show up as registered. OK try another less known site I know is not available - again this showed as available.

OK, so now try another well known name - "amazon" - again it showed as registered.

Is this some sort of scam, or whats going on? - Try punching a few domains in and check it out.

Thanks

11-03-2009, 10:01 AM
cpr is offline cpr
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

It's a little odd really, I've just been trying it out and the same happens for me. Aplus from what I can see are a reputable company so I'm guessing it must be some sort of error on their side.

11-06-2009, 04:27 PM
chris johnson is offline chris johnson
Software:

chris johnson is on a distinguished road

Old

That is very odd. Are you sure the entire domain was correctly entered? What I mean is, are you sure that you got the .com, .net, .co.uk correct? I imagine that you did but I can't think of any other reason why your searches were providing available domains when they clearly are not available. Interesting.