Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1458 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming :

Developing for tablets

Thread title: Developing for tablets
06-20-2011, 04:57 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old  Developing for tablets

Something that I am starting to look into, management-wise, is development for a tablet (iOS, webOS, Android, whatever-OS). As long as there is a tablet form-factor, what goes into developing for that particular niche?

What are the technologies and programming languages used? How different is it to build a dynamically driven newspaper/magazine for a tablet versus the one for regular web?

What do you even start with?

06-20-2011, 06:44 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Apple uses Objective C and you need to develop it on an Apple computer, Windows uses pretty much anything that you can use on desktops (including .net which is the easiest) and Droid uses Java. They all have to be developed and maintained separate. Another roadblock is Apple's marketplace; they don't approve everything.

06-20-2011, 07:12 AM

Old

Originally Posted by Village Genius View Post
They all have to be developed and maintained separate.

My God this has two words written all over such a process: "painful" and "costly".
Is there not a single standard our there that can satisfy and fit all? Isn't HTML5 supposed to be just that?

06-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Steven Weathers is offline Steven Weathers
Expertise: CSS, HTML, SEO, CMS
Software: Photoshop, Notepad++

Steven Weathers is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Steven Weathers Send a message via MSN to Steven Weathers Send a message via Yahoo to Steven Weathers Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Weathers

Old

Originally Posted by Artashes View Post
My God this has two words written all over such a process: "painful" and "costly".
Is there not a single standard our there that can satisfy and fit all? Isn't HTML5 supposed to be just that?
If your developing actual "Apps" then yea its going to be painful and costly. However if your talking websites and web based apps you should be able to develop a responsive/fluid width design that will function well a crossed multiple tablet devices. Also worth noting that the Financial Times has ditched native apps for an HTML5 based web app.

06-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by Artashes View Post
Not for app development. HTML5 has nothing to do with phones, its the future of HTML that will probably be finalized in about 10 years. Even when its finalized its support will be as inconsistent as current versions.

06-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Immersion is offline Immersion
Software:

Immersion is on a distinguished road

Old

http://www.appcelerator.com/ May be of interest for you to develop cross platform applications, you use javascript to code your applications.

06-22-2011, 07:53 PM

Old

Thanks for all the interesting input.

@Immersion: Appcelerator looks interesting.

@Steven/VG: Thanks for clarifying, although I didn't really understand the comment about the Financial Times going HTML5 route. Do you mean if they redesign their site in HTML5, then it will natively adapt to a mobile/tablet screen?

The reason why I asked is forgetting the web side of development (assuming tablet is the only form factor that exists) I have heard of Murdoch and Branson launch interactive newspaper and a magazine exclusively for an iPad. What would go into THAT kind of development? Unfortunately I do not know whether those media are presented in the form of an app or web, so that might be difficult to answer... but if anyone knows what I am talking about, it would be nice to understand which technologies they used. Is it Objective C as VG pointed out, or something else.