Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1352 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Articles From The Experts :

Google Adwords - Being Killed By It's Sister?

Thread title: Google Adwords - Being Killed By It's Sister?
Closed Thread    
03-07-2007, 03:10 AM
Erik is offline Erik
Software:

Erik is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Erik

Old  Google Adwords - Being Killed By It's Sister?

The notorious Google Adsense/Adwords... where to begin? For those of you who have used Adwords or is currently using Adwords this goes out to you.

To start off, we all know how useful Adsense is to the beginner developer for making some quick and usually easy cash, and also for the bigtime entrepreneur who makes a living off of it. Personally I use Adsense too, and the point of this post is not to hate on people who have Adsense ads, its hating the fact that Adsense has become so big, that it has almost rendered Adwords completely useless and a waste of money.

Adwords comes in two different ways:

Google Content Network

Summing up the Content Network's advertising usefulness in one word would be: No. Why is this completely useless? Well, mainly because:

1. You have no idea where your ads will be, the traffic on said site, the content on that site (sometimes illegal..) and who is clicking your ads. Yes, Google matches your ad with sites containing relevant content, but how much can you possibly trust Google's bots when your getting 200,000 content network impressions a day? This is just all due to the size of the Google Adsense empire. We are part of the Google Adsense "generation" if you will, and damn its a pain in the ass.

2. Fraud. Guaranteed more than 50% of the sites your ad shows up on, are small unsuccessful sites (which make up of 95% of the internet) which make $10 a month on Google Adsense by some kid running through his neighborhood and clicking his own ads. Guess who pays for that? You. Sure, Google will ban accounts for outrageous numbers of what they consider fraudulent clicks, but lets remember: they cut the profit with the fraudulent person himself. Where is the line between fraudulent clicks and a coincidence that all the Adsense income for "Billybobjoe's" site came only from his hometown, and does Google even give a ****? or do they just ban a few people everyday to make sure Adwords doesn't fall through completely...

Sponsored links in Google searches

The more legitimate of the two: your ad shows up on the side of a Google search for the keywords you associated with your ad. This is much better than the spammed content network and has not only a much better CTR, but the people who are clicking your ad actually show interest in what your site is about. Why? because it doesn't make them any money to click it - they are doing it for free (AGLOCO anyone?) because they are interested. This is the complete opposite of the content network, except the few things that are semi-decent about the content network, are the downfalls of Sponsored Google Searches.

1. The impression rate is tiny. You'd be lucky to get 10 a day for a certain keyword, and if you put in a blatantly useless keyword to get alot of impressions, like say "internet" - say goodbye to your wallet.

2. Who the hell when doing a Google search actually looks to the far side to check out ads. Barely anyone, and my impression to click rate will prove it. Lets say you get 400 impressions on a search result for a keyword (your going to bid damn high on the keyword to get that many impressions..). Lets say you had to bid $5.00 on that keyword to get that many impressions. Well, I wouldn't be surprised to see that you received one click, and I also wouldn't be surprised to see you officially owe Google five bucks. %$#@ you.

So what am I getting at here? Don't bother with Google Adwords it is dying. I don't care what you say because I have experienced it myself. I stopped after a couple weeks in which I spent $100 and received 42 clicks. 40 of them from the Content Network (according to statistics, 25 of those were fraudulent) and 2 from the sponsored search results. All in all, 17 legitimate clicks for the nice completely worth-it price of $100. It has been killed by it's own sister, Adsense. On a final note, I will leave you with a bit of advice if you are currently using Adwords. Turn off the Content Network. Now. Still, it's a waste of money with the search ads, but at least you won't have to ship out money to fraudulent clickers and Google themselves, the real frauds.

Liked This Article? Please Digg It!

This article is original content from my developer blog.

Thanks for reading,
Erik

Closed Thread