Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1065 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     News and Announcements :

Selling TF and The Future

Thread title: Selling TF and The Future
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
10-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Big Zee is offline Big Zee
Software:

Big Zee is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
I for one won't visit the new site. That's totally unethical and pointless copying the database from talkfreelance over to the new site... that's like selling facebook.com, but releasing a new social network with the same database as facebook.

I doubt you'll have many offers for this site if it's database is not unique.
To repeat the point yet again, all the posts will be culled except a few to make it look a little busy to kick it off.

10-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Peter Avey is offline Peter Avey
Expertise:
Software:

Peter Avey is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to Peter Avey

Old

Data protection act in the UK and don't quote me word for word:

You can't move peoples details around, they need your concent, i didnt want my details on your new website (which is why you get tick boxes on online forms). you also should only have data which is needed, as in if you have someone employed and they leave the company you dont need there details so by law you need to get rid of them (i think)

Don't quote me word for word, but someones gone through the DataProtection act with me a few weeks ago and it seems your being abit naughty..

10-23-2009, 04:44 PM
46Bit is offline 46Bit
Expertise: Web Development
Software:

46Bit is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to 46Bit Send a message via Skype™ to 46Bit

Old

Please delete me from the database of the new site - not just from the vBull control panel but the row in the db as well.

Anyway, it's nice to see that TF and that site will be bombed in terms of SEO due to massive duplicate content. What you should have done is to invite people to join up - instead you've really made me wonder why this is much better than the whole WDP shenanigans.

10-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Originally Posted by Peter Avey View Post
Data protection act in the UK and don't quote me word for word:

You can't move peoples details around, they need your concent, i didnt want my details on your new website (which is why you get tick boxes on online forms). you also should only have data which is needed, as in if you have someone employed and they leave the company you dont need there details so by law you need to get rid of them (i think)

Don't quote me word for word, but someones gone through the DataProtection act with me a few weeks ago and it seems your being abit naughty..
Im no expert on UK law, but I don't think that the data protection act applies to this. No nonpublic personal information is stored here. I don't believe that emails are considered nonpublic personal.

10-23-2009, 04:58 PM
j-huskisson is offline j-huskisson
Expertise:
Software:

j-huskisson is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to j-huskisson Send a message via MSN to j-huskisson Send a message via Skype™ to j-huskisson

Old

Instead of focusing on the negative here I'll focus on the positive. If you're looking to sell - I'm interested. Whether alone or as part of a group, it doesn't matter.

10-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Big Zee is offline Big Zee
Software:

Big Zee is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by 46Bit View Post
Please delete me from the database of the new site - not just from the vBull control panel but the row in the db as well.

Anyway, it's nice to see that TF and that site will be bombed in terms of SEO due to massive duplicate content. What you should have done is to invite people to join up - instead you've really made me wonder why this is much better than the whole WDP shenanigans.
- Maybe you'd benifit from visiting the site to learn something about SEO. If you could damage a site by copying its content and posting it on another site do you not think every man and his dog would do it to his competitiors.

FOR the 5th time - sorry I've lost count now - THE POSTS WILL BE CULLED!!!!!!!!

10-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Gaz is offline Gaz
Expertise: Code & Programming
Software: Coda, TextMate, Sublime 2

Gaz will become famous soon enough Gaz will become famous soon enough

Send a message via Skype™ to Gaz

Old

Just wondering, you say that you accept that most people won't be interested in the forum and you expect that most would want their accounts deleted, and you also state that you will be deleting most of the posts, too?

So you're deleting most posts and you're expecting to delete most members, yet you still want to transfer the database over there? Seems illogical in my mind, yet, if you want to do it that way it is up to you. I will, unlike others, login and post there- SEO/SEM is a topic I have some experience with and really want to improve on it!

10-23-2009, 05:06 PM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old

Data Protection act doesn't get involved here - And in regards to Peter Avey; detailed should be kept for 3-5 years after, incase details are needed by police etc.

As for the new site; surely having duplicate content will make your SEO poor now, and it's duplicate content and links, and keywords being used; correct me if I'm wrong; but you're penalised for duplicate linkbacks aint you?

i dont have a problem being on the site; would have been nice to of been asked first though, or done what Vizon done and just link in the top to your new forum. As that way; we can't shout at you; since it's your forum.

10-23-2009, 05:08 PM
46Bit is offline 46Bit
Expertise: Web Development
Software:

46Bit is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to 46Bit Send a message via Skype™ to 46Bit

Old

Originally Posted by Big Zee View Post
- Maybe you'd benifit from visiting the site to learn something about SEO. If you could damage a site by copying its content and posting it on another site do you not think every man and his dog would do it to his competitiors.

FOR the 5th time - sorry I've lost count now - THE POSTS WILL BE CULLED!!!!!!!!
If I'd been asked if I wanted to join up I probably would have. Instead all my content here has been copied to somewhere else, regardless of whether it'll be deleted or not, without me having any initial say in it.

Seriously Zee, what on earth are you trying to gain here? A forum with many members but few posts does not an impressive site make. A suggestion: instead of doing this, delete this thread, post a new one inviting people to register there. Not only will people be happy to move to a site you've promised to pay plenty of attention to, but you'll get some extra petty cash by selling this site as 110% unique. Probably not anything relatively massive given your career, but at least you'll not be betraying our trust.

If you're still open to debate on this, post a say 2-day poll as for what people want. If people want this to continue, so be it. If not, then don't. That way you're in the right with the majority of the community either way round.

10-23-2009, 05:26 PM
silent1643 is offline silent1643
Software:

silent1643 is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by 46Bit View Post
If I'd been asked if I wanted to join up I probably would have. Instead all my content here has been copied to somewhere else, regardless of whether it'll be deleted or not, without me having any initial say in it.

Seriously Zee, what on earth are you trying to gain here? A forum with many members but few posts does not an impressive site make. A suggestion: instead of doing this, delete this thread, post a new one inviting people to register there. Not only will people be happy to move to a site you've promised to pay plenty of attention to, but you'll get some extra petty cash by selling this site as 110% unique. Probably not anything relatively massive given your career, but at least you'll not be betraying our trust.

If you're still open to debate on this, post a say 2-day poll as for what people want. If people want this to continue, so be it. If not, then don't. That way you're in the right with the majority of the community either way round.
zee so far has been understanding of our feedback lets give him some time and see what comes of it

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >