Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 831 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

Advice for a Educationally non Qualified Freelancer.

Thread title: Advice for a Educationally non Qualified Freelancer.
11-05-2012, 04:37 PM
HashenD is offline HashenD
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop, Dreamweaver

HashenD is on a distinguished road

Old  Advice for a Educationally non Qualified Freelancer.

Hey everyone !

As you can see I'm new to this forum, I hope you all treat me
Okay so let me tell you the beginning of my story,

I' currently an Student following the University Foundation Course (From the IT section). So currently I have passed 6 Subjects 5 Compulsory and one elective they are (Communication I, Communication II, Advance Mathematics I, Introduction to Computing, Introduction to Programming, Management) I have Unfortunately failed Advance Mathematics II and Physics. Whithout passing all the subjects I cannot attend University (I had plans to go to Australia for Uni where my brother lives). So one of these subjects cost 23,000.00 LKR that is equivalent to around 230.00 USD. So since I failed two subjects my father doesn't want to pay for my education anymore. I know I am fully wrong here and I can't fix it. I am really into Designing and Web Designing and I've worked on a few projects and was planing to follow my higher education on that side. But since unfortunately I cannot continue my higher education I'm stuck here.

So I was wondering if it IS really possible to freelance and earn some amount of money (As long as I can earn around 700.00 USD from about 3 months or less so I can pay and finish my Foundation Course) and if a educationally non qualified freelance can earn. And any possible advice as to where I can start, what I learn and anything kind of advice you can give me from your experience.

Thankyou Very much and Best Regards,
Hashen.

11-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I'm seeing established companies in Sri Lanka offering services for $7 to $10 an hour. I'm not sure how much the government gets from that. No one cares about the education, they're not even going to ask. Put what you've done in your portfolio and try to advertise work. Price is going to have to be your selling point, you are probably going to have to undercut your competition who already charges very little. You'll need to make about $233 a month and about half your time is going to be in marketing and other non-billable hours in a best case scenario. Plan for that.

Perhaps you can convince your dad to meet you half way? That at least shows that you're very serious about this.

11-05-2012, 05:45 PM
HashenD is offline HashenD
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop, Dreamweaver

HashenD is on a distinguished road

Old

Hey ! Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking more of work at home. And I check the site https://www.freelance.com/ and I believe they ask for a CV, what I'm worried about is if they ask for really good education qualifications. And the other thing is how I can get the required work experience, sure I have worked on a few sites and designed logos and mascots. But will that be enough and how can I get a job online with little experience so I can I get more work experience ? And yeah If I could make it half way I could convince my dad.

11-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

They won't care about your education. Sites like those are centered around price, not quality (although they don't advertise that way for obvious reasons). I was unaware that they even had a real screening process. Just go for it, you don't have anything to lose. One or two projects down and you'll have a bit more of a portfolio going for you.

11-05-2012, 09:07 PM
lanotdesign is offline lanotdesign
Expertise: Webdesign
Software: Photoshop cs4

lanotdesign is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to lanotdesign Send a message via Skype™ to lanotdesign

Old

Village Genius is correct, as long as your designs are great it wouldn't matter if you had proper education or not. You just have to have your own website to market yourself, or use social networking sites such as twitter and facebook to advertise your works (although it's gonna be hard). You can also make your friends or families free logos or mascots to add in your portfolio if you have too little currently.

11-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Sevencomet is offline Sevencomet
Software: photoshop,excel

Sevencomet is on a distinguished road

Old

If you are worried about experience why not try fiverr ? Where its your skills not your education get you sponsors. Just showcase your work and you will get sponsors. Most sites like freelance are overcrowded either way and you will have a difficult time getting contracts. But go for it just the same as they sometime say "nothing try nothing done.". Combine the two and you will make enough to meet your deadline.

Best of luck to you