Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1156 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Articles From The Experts :

Quotes or hourly rates? Your pricing, how do you value your time?

Thread title: Quotes or hourly rates? Your pricing, how do you value your time?
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 >
03-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Jhin is offline Jhin
Expertise:
Software:

Jhin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to Jhin Send a message via AIM to Jhin Send a message via MSN to Jhin Send a message via Yahoo to Jhin

Old

Originally Posted by Julian
An amazing thing happens when you quote high, businesses start thinking "wow, they must produce absolute top quality work, we want the best, so let's get them!". Quoting low generally means what it means, cheap and nasty. Even if I don't produce the absolute best sites, I definately give the best service
This is true, as well as the way in which you approach the client and maintain a good relationship through out the pre and post contract signing. Sitepoint has a great article illustrating this very point. I think I may have gotten it here before from another thread here a while back, I'm not sure, but here's the link:

Step by Step Guide to a Signed Contract by Brendon Sinclair.

03-28-2006, 03:52 AM
m23 is offline m23
Software:

m23 is on a distinguished road

Old

Also $100/hour is not at the high end, it is average for my region, and please remember I am from New Zealand. $100 of our dollars is worth $60.82 US dollars or 35.03 British Pounds.
Ah, I did miss that. Sorry! That is the same rate I charge, then: 60 US dollars / hour.

Except I am actually taking a job now for $25/hour, just because it's my only client at the moment. I have a fulltime developer job as well and I do extra work after hours, which is what I'm talking about -- the after hours work.

03-28-2006, 05:08 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Lol Jhin, I posted that link quite a while ago in here. Brendan Sinclair is someone I have learned a lot from and would like to meet in person to thank one day.

m23, I know what you mean, your pricing should always be relative to your current position. But never undersell yourself.

03-28-2006, 06:25 PM
sniper101 is offline sniper101
Expertise:
Software:

sniper101 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to sniper101

Old

Nice article Julian. Really gets me thinking, Im going to put this in to consideration and might work with it in future finished projects (depending on size).

03-29-2006, 05:22 AM
m23 is offline m23
Software:

m23 is on a distinguished road

Old

Julian,

Yes, in terms of pure cash, I am underselling myself. I am this company's complete Web team. Lol. They must be saving a lot of money!

But, on the other hand, my strategy has been to do extra/on-the-side jobs like this one over my career as a way to pad my resumé by doing things I don't get to do on my fulltime job, and then later I get a better fulltime job (not that my current fulltime job is "bad").

Anyway, this strategy has worked out well for me and I recommend it, if you're a person who loves your work. I almost can't believe I get paid to have fun everyday.

But, I do want to increase my salary (who doesn't?). And I've done that too, fairly successfully, over the past few years. The $25 (US dollars)/hour for the after hours work on this project is certainly less than I get on my fulltime job, which is also a web development position (multimedia programming, currently).

03-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Josh.UK is offline Josh.UK
Expertise:
Software:

Josh.UK is on a distinguished road

Old

Very good post, and for people who dont think someone would pay $12k+ for a site. $12k is nothing to a medium size company.

03-29-2006, 12:35 PM
Jhin is offline Jhin
Expertise:
Software:

Jhin is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to Jhin Send a message via AIM to Jhin Send a message via MSN to Jhin Send a message via Yahoo to Jhin

Old

Lol Jhin, I posted that link quite a while ago in here. Brendan Sinclair is someone I have learned a lot from and would like to meet in person to thank one day.
hehe I knew I found his stuff from a reputable source :P Yes, I enjoy his writing style and I've been chewing on the idea of purchasing his web developer business kit.

03-29-2006, 06:26 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Josh.UK
Very good post, and for people who dont think someone would pay $12k+ for a site. $12k is nothing to a medium size company.
it's about rhe average price range.

03-29-2006, 07:42 PM
kork is offline kork
Software:

kork is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Josh.UK
While I agree, I would say that $12k for a 5 page site (once again depending on the site) I definately pushing the boundries.

I did a project in school with an awesome team that went on to win national awards and received a fair amount of recognition. It took about 700 hours to build.

I learned a valuable lesson a long time ago at an interactive interview using this project as a showpiece. The employer (whom I went on to work for for 3 years) asked how long the project took. I said about 600 hours in total between the rest of the team. The employer told me, get it down to 150 hours and you would actually have a client willing to pay for it.

80/20 rule was learned very quickly that day.

That said, really good post!

03-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Julian is offline Julian
Expertise:
Software:

Julian is on a distinguished road

Old

Thanks for your great comments Josh and Kork

Jhin, it's worth every cent, you should chat on msn with me in regards to this first. I have made many more thousands of dollars from applying methods in this kit alone.

Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 >