Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1122 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Advertising, SEO and Social Marketing :

Newbie Guide to Building a PBN on a Budget

Thread title: Newbie Guide to Building a PBN on a Budget
06-02-2017, 07:02 PM
fpforum is offline fpforum
Expertise:
Software:

fpforum is on a distinguished road

Old  Newbie Guide to Building a PBN on a Budget

Hey everyone! Today I'm going to share with you a little method I've been using for some time now to develop a variety of private blog networks (PBN's) at a fairly reasonable price. Keep in mind, this method focuses on being able to build one large network (or several smaller networks) at a reasonably low price. If you work on a larger budget then you can still apply this method for building your network(s), only it will be stronger and have more authority than doing it the cheaper way. I'll try to point out differences along the way for those looking to keep it as cheap as possible compared to those with more cash. Let's get started!

Finding Domains
The first step to building your new private blog network is finding and creating a list of domains that will potentially be in your network. My method involves finding expired domains that were previously developed and already have some authority. Most of you have probably heard about this website before, but I'm going to mention it again. ExpiredDomains.net! If you haven't already created a free account and bookmarked this site then I recommend doing so right now so you don't forget. It will be your one and only source needed for building this low cost PBN! Once you have an ExpiredDomains.net account you will want to login and start searching over domains that will be "dropping" and become available for new registration in the upcoming days. To do this simply login and find the "Pending Delete" tab at the top. Once clicked you will want to look for the red "Show Filter" link towards the top.

Follow these tips to filter domains:
1) Make use of the End Date box under the Common tab. For this method I recommend separating your domain lists by date. Make a text file with tomorrows date and do your searches with tomorrows End Date selected. Then, make another list for the following day and do your searches with that days End Date selected as well. The "End Date" is the exact day these expired domains will become available for new registration.
2) Put different keywords in the contains box to do searches. This will help filter and find domains specific to your niche.
3) Click the Additional, Adwords & SEO and Majestic tabs towards the top and make use of those to help filter for different metrics.
4) Don't limit yourself to only .COM domains. Include other extensions such as BIZ/INFO/ORG/CO/ME/TV/CC in your searches as well.

Once you've clicked the Apply Filter button you should be presented with a list of domains and a variety of columns. All domains should show the same "End Date" so we know all of them will be "dropping" on the same day. The two columns you will want to pay the most attention to when scanning through domains are BL (Backlinks) and DP (Domain Pop). Click each of these columns to re-arrange your list and begin copying/pasting the names that have some BL/DP into notepad. Perform a variety of searches until you come up with a nice size list. Many of these many fail future testing, so the larger the list at this point - the better! Keep in mind, you can always go back and do more searching later!

Analyze Domains
The first step is now complete! By this point you should have at least one days list (for example, tomorrow) of domains that you are going to further analyze and possibly add into your new PBN. When it comes to analyzing domains there are tons of different websites you can use. Some people trust one site more than another and if you do a few searches you'll probably find other threads in the forum which talk about analyzing domains in much more depth than I will here.

MOZ - One reason I like MOZ is because it's a cheap way to analyze thousands of domains. The next two options I'm going to list are limited unless you pay for premium access. That means we've hit one of those spots where things can separate between those wanting to keep it cheap and those with more money to spend. If you want to keep it cheap then I recommend using MOZ to analyze your domains. You can find bulk MOZ checkers (I use the bulk MOZ checker in DesktopCatcher) which will let you scan through hundreds (or thousands) of domains relatively quickly. Pay attention to DA (Domain Authority), PA (Page Authority), Spam Score, and Link numbers. If the domains have no DA, PA or Links then they can easily be removed.
Ahrefs - Ahrefs is another site I use to analyze domains. However, as I mentioned above, you will be limited on this site unless you pay for premium access. Those with a larger budget should give consideration to doing this, especially if you plan on building a network with hundreds or thousands of domains in it. If you're wanting to keep it cheap I still recommend using Ahrefs each day, just save your best (or most questionable) domains for analyzing here. Pay attention to UR (URL Ranking), DR (Domain Ranking), Backlinks and Referring Domains. You can also use a number of other tools on this website to look deeper into the domain. If it has no UR, DR or Referring Domains then it can be easily removed. Otherwise, scroll down and utilize the Anchor Phrases and URL rating distribution areas to see if the domain looks spammy. If it does, then it can also be easily removed.
MajesticSEO - The final website I use for getting numbers is Majestic. Once again, if you do not have a paid account here then you'll be limited each day on the number of domains you can lookup. Those who have a larger budget may also want to give consideration to Majestic. Some people out there prefer Majestic numbers of Ahrefs while others prefer the opposite. As I mentioned, when it comes to paying for domain analysis tools the favorites will vary. If your on a budget then I recommend doing the same thing with Majestic as you do with Ahrefs - keep it limited to any questionable domains you may have for the day. Pay attention to TF (Trust Flow), CF (Citation Flow) and Referring Domains. As usual, if it doesn't have any of these then it can be easily eliminated. Look deeper into domains using the Referring Domains and Anchor Text tabs. If these look spammy then the domain can be easily removed.
Archive.org - Those with a higher budget can quickly eliminate spammy domains just by using the additional tools that Ahrefs and Majestic offer. But remember, we're on a bit of a budget here! One great method for spotting a spammy domain (free of charge) is by using the way back machine at Archive.org! Now that your domains have been run through the sites above your list has probably trickled down a bit. You'll want to plug your domains into the way back machine and look for previous dates that are archived. Go through some of the previous dates listed and see what's on there. Is it anything related to your niche? Does it look like a spammy website? Some quick searches should tell you if the site was spammy or not.

That completes step two of our journey! You've now done some searching and found domains that will become available again soon. You went through and analyzed them so your list is probably much smaller now. You're left with a handful of domains that have some authority on them and would make great PBN sites to use for passing juice over to your main "money" website. The next step involves getting your hands on those domains. They're going to be available soon and there's a chance other people out there could want them for the same reason you do!

Catching Domains
Over the past couple of years I've seen a big increase in the number of people hunting for expired domains. One other method I read was to use software and scrape the web for large lists (hundreds of thousands) of domains and then see which of those are available to register and already have authority. It's a decent method, but unfortunately it's almost guaranteed to dry up sooner or later. Why? Because there is so much competition these days that expired domains with just a bit of authority get snatched up right away. Thank goodness we're going to avoid that method completely! The goal with this method is to get the domains you want the second they become available. You're going to try and get at least a couple of the names in your list before any type of scanning software ever finds it. Since you know which domains you want ahead of time, you have a few options when it comes to snatching these domains. But, before I get into that I want to say we've reached another point where investment plays a role.

Important: Depending on the extension of your domains, they will "drop" and become available for new registration at different times of the day. A small number of extensions (UK and NL) drop randomly throughout the day. Most extensions have a specific time that they drop. For example, all .COM and .NET domains will drop between 1PM-2PM CST each day. All .BIZ domains will drop between 12PM-12:30PM CST each day. If there are any extensions you're curious about post them here and I will try to answer the drop time. Otherwise, you can try searching the web as well.

Hand Registration - The cheapest way to try and get your hands on the domain names you now want is to try and register them manually by hand. Go to your preferred domain registrar (GoDaddy, DynaDot, Internet.bs..etc) during the drop time and continuously check the availability on them. Once they become available you can proceed to register them. It's best if you choose a registrar that has quick/automatic checkout and a bulk search option. This way you can search all domains in your list at once, and hopefully checkout extremely quickly. The downside to this method is that it's extremely slow compared to software. If you plan to try and hand register expired domains then only chase domains that have very low metrics. Remember the analysis we did in the previous step? That will come into play here. If you are trying to hand register domains they should be very weak in terms of analysis. Domains that have a very low MOZ DA/PA, Ahrefs UR/DR or Majestic TF/CF could be possible to register by hand if you see them being available and act quick enough. If you check the availability on domains for the entire time and none ever show as being available then they probably did drop, but were automatically picked up by someone else who beat you to it.
Drop Catching Software - My preferred way of building a PBN is by using DesktopCatcher drop catching software. With this software I open it each day, load my domain list in there, schedule it, and then it kicks off and runs automatically during the drop time. I setup 3 registrars and pre-deposit a small amount of funds into each. When I successfully catch a domain the funds are automatically deducted and the domain goes into my account. The software has a one-time cost and best of all, there are registrars that support all extensions and you are still only paying the standard registration fee for your domains - just as if you were doing it by hand. The downside to this software is that there are still larger companies out there with setups that can beat it. With that in mind, if you are trying to catch domains yourself using software then don't go for the cream of the crop. Instead, look for domains that run about medium in terms of analysis. MOZ DA/PA, Ahrefs UR/DR, Majestic TF/CF in the 10-20 range are ideal. It's also important to note that this software can have more success with less competitive extensions like BIZ, INFO, CC, IN..etc as well!
Domain Backorder - The final option to catching expired domains is paying a professional company to catch it for you. This is by far the most expensive option, but it's also the only option you should use if you want the best expired PBN domains that are dropping each day. DropCatch and NameJet are probably the two most successful when it comes to backordering your desired domains, so those are who you should go with when going with this option. The downside to going this route is simply price. We're trying to keep things affordable in this thread and domain backorders will normally run you a minimum of $50-$60 per domain. You can often get this price reduced if you're buying dozens per day, but it can still add up. The other downside to domain backorders is that most places run auction style formats to get the most out of domains they successfully catch. That means if you and 5 other people submit a backorder request for the same domain and the company is successful in getting it - the 5 of you will go into a bidding war to see who gets it. If you plan to backorder your domains then the sky is the limit. You will be a bit limited if you plan to chase extensions outside of .COM and .NET, but this service will get you the best and highest quality domains. Go for any MOZ, Ahrefs or Majestic rank above 20 or so!

That's it for this portion. We're making good progress here! You've now scanned through domains to see which ones you might want. You then analyzed them to get rid of the spammy ones, and now you've managed to register a few of them. It's time to start developing!

Develop Domains
Now that you've managed to get your hands on some of the domains you want it's time to develop. People usually want to disguise their blog network so it's not easily recognizable by Google or their competitors. To do that, some use different whois information on domains. Others use whois privacy (registrars like NameSilo and Internet.bs offer free whois privacy). You can choose to do this if you want, and you can choose to what extent. I normally just use whois privacy.

Next is hosting and once again, money plays a role. You want to spread your sites out across as many different C-Class (that's the third octet) IP addresses as possible. The cheapest way to do that is by using free or cheap web hosting providers. A few quick Google searches will turn up quite a few, but if you want a list send me a message and I'll send you over some to get you started. Those on a slightly larger network may want to consider using different traditional paid hosting providers since those tend to have better up time, less chances of being hacked, daily or weeky backups..etc. For those on an even larger budget the best way to do your hosting is through an SEO hosting provider. This way you can have all your sites on one server (or at least at one provider) and use different IP addresses.

Once your hosting is setup it's time to get something up there. Most hosting providers (even free hosting providers) offer an automated script installer inside the control panel (Softaculous or Fantastico usually). You can use this to automatically install Wordpress or various other scripts. I personally use Wordpress since it installs quickly and you can do some customization's to it (SEO friendly URLs..etc).

After Wordpress is installed you need to start adding content and money can play a role here. Even though this site is only one inside your network the content needs to be good. You don't need loads of it, but it shouldn't be duplicated. The cheap way is to simply write up a few articles yourself or find some online and re-write them (or "spin") them yourself. If you have some money to invest I'd recommend searching around for the best content scraper/spinner out there and investing in that. You can then quickly pull articles from around the web and spin them automatically. If you have a larger budget then consider buying a Fiverr gig like this one and having someone write the content for you. That's the best way to get 100% relevant and unique content on your sites. It's also the most expensive.

Once your content is up you will need to begin strategically placing links to your main "money" website across different articles. Don't link all of your PBN sites to each other and don't place links in all of your articles right away. Instead, place in-content links to specific pages on your main "money" website across only some of your articles. Also, consider doing that gradually on a schedule of one link per week. You can come up with whatever type of schedule you'd like, the overall idea is for it not to be spammy!

Kudo's for getting your new domain(s) developed! The final step is to develop a strategy for building more authority to our new site(s).

Build More Authority
If you went through this post and choose to go the absolute cheapest way possible then your new PBN domains are probably pretty weak (although still stronger than something new). That means you'll want to put a little more time into building more authority on them. The best way to continue building authority on your sites is to continue building more incoming links to them. It's best to do that with software and in a tiered structure. I personally use the following software and structure.
GSA SER - GSA SER is my preferred software when it comes to building Web 2.0 and Profile Page links. You can use it for building a variety of others, but those are the two I use the most. I use GSA SER to build my tier 2 links which are the links pointing into my new PBN site. I'll also use it for building tier 3 links which are links I'll create pointing to the tier 2 links I previously created.
SEnuke - Similar to GSA SER, SEnuke is great building those tier 2 and tier 3 links. Feel free to mix it up with these. For Tier 2 I usually try and focus on Web 2.0 and Profile Page links. For Tier 3 you can expand to social bookmarking, document sharing and others.
ScrapeBox - ScrapeBox only does blog commenting which is the biggest downside to it. I would recommend focusing on GSA SER or SEnuke instead of ScrapeBox. But, for those with a larger budget it can be another tool used for creating links to your Tier 3 or Tier 4 links.

Rinse and Repeat
The only step now is to repeat it again tomorrow. You can do this as often as you want. Some people do it daily. Others do it for a little while until they get some domains together and then stop registering so they can spend time doing the development portion. Decide what works for you based on your needs and budget. Then, go from there! You can look over some other additional options for finding expired domains below!

Additional Options
1) You don't need to limit your domain search to just expired domains. You ideally want any kind of domain as long as its relevant to your niche, has some authority and isn't spammy! Consider buying an already developed website or already registered domain that has some authority you can build on. Look on this forum and other webmaster/SEO forums across the web and you'll probably find some deals.
2) Many registrars have their own domain marketplaces which you can search through for names. Consider the GoDaddy Expired Auctions, DynaDot Expired Auctions, Name.com Aftermarket, NameCheap Domain Auctions, and the NameSilo Marketplace for additional domains you might be able to get at a low price.

That's it! As you can see, building a little PBN really isn't that hard. It doesn't need to be extremely expensive, either. As with most things, the more money you have to invest in something the more you can expect to get out of it. If you're on a tighter budget then the metrics of your network may not be super high early on. But, by continuing to build more authority onto your sites (while also gradually earning a return from them) you should be able to build your way up to a much stronger network over time. Hope you enjoyed and found this useful!