Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1084 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     The Gallery Showcase :

Nixism's New Logos..

Thread title: Nixism's New Logos..
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
09-08-2007, 05:29 PM
chaka42 is offline chaka42
Expertise:
Software:

chaka42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to chaka42 Send a message via MSN to chaka42 Send a message via Skype™ to chaka42

Old

Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Sometimes I think you over analyze logos...
I actually think people don't put enough thought into designing logos. They approach it as if they were simply designing something cool as opposed to its meaning and importance. Too many people minimize what a logo is to a company or a site.

I, for one, agree with derek lapp. But hey, whatever makes the client happy.

09-08-2007, 06:44 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Drew View Post
No, in fact most logos don't. They are just there to develop a brand mark.
hahahaha are you serious? you'll go far with branding thinking like that.

do you know how much money people dump into branding? they don't pay bills like that just for something that "looks cool" that you design over night.

09-08-2007, 06:51 PM
LeeP is offline LeeP
Expertise:
Software:

LeeP is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to LeeP

Old

At a push I would say 1b, but both of them are really nice.

09-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Duality is offline Duality
Expertise:
Software:

Duality is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Duality Send a message via MSN to Duality Send a message via Yahoo to Duality

Old

Maybe I'm the only one, but I thought that the first and second looked familiar to Netscape.

Then again, I just compared them and I'm completely wrong. =P

09-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Drew is offline Drew
Software:

Drew is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Drew

Old

Originally Posted by derek lapp View Post
hahahaha are you serious? you'll go far with branding thinking like that.

do you know how much money people dump into branding? they don't pay bills like that just for something that "looks cool" that you design over night.
You're right people dump tons of money into branding, but branding isn't all about the logo. Do you think google or ebay has established it's brand JUST because of the logo?

09-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

Derek never said that branding was just because of the logo. But I agree, something pretty does not a good logo make. I'd invite Gonzalo to more fully explain the concepts behind each of the logos presented, maybe that would clear up the confusion about the logos just being pretty, or actually having some thought behind them. Or, not.

09-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Shanks is offline Shanks
Software:

Shanks is on a distinguished road

Old

A logo is not that critical for a web-based hosting company, especially for one with a name like "nixism," which does not actually mean anything in particular. Good service will allow the company to expand through word-of-mouth, referrals, and spamming message boards. All these methods of attracting customers really don't benefit from a logo.

Exceptions to this could be web hosts like Host Gator, the name of which just pleads to be accompanied by an alligator mascot. What makes Host Gator different from Nixism? A slightly more meaningful name. Good branding starts with a good name. If you have a bad name that means nothing ("nix-" literally means nothing, "-ism" means a distinctive doctrine, system, or theory), than a logo won't be much help.

09-09-2007, 12:53 PM
jam3Z is offline jam3Z
Expertise:
Software:

jam3Z is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jam3Z

Old

Originally Posted by Josué View Post
A logo is not that critical for a web-based hosting company, especially for one with a name like "nixism," which does not actually mean anything in particular. Good service will allow the company to expand through word-of-mouth, referrals, and spamming message boards. All these methods of attracting customers really don't benefit from a logo.

Exceptions to this could be web hosts like Host Gator, the name of which just pleads to be accompanied by an alligator mascot. What makes Host Gator different from Nixism? A slightly more meaningful name. Good branding starts with a good name. If you have a bad name that means nothing ("nix-" literally means nothing, "-ism" means a distinctive doctrine, system, or theory), than a logo won't be much help.
I think that is all very true! i agree with all of that

09-09-2007, 04:55 PM
.amaZe is offline .amaZe
Expertise:
Software:

.amaZe is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Josué View Post

Yes, you are right to a point. There is a no true meaning for "nixism" but it is still very catchy and can be branded. For instance, look at "brius" and their logo.. "brius" is not a dictionary word, nor does it have any meaning, but still very catchy.

09-09-2007, 04:57 PM
thatjamie is offline thatjamie
Expertise: Ruby, Rails, jQuery
Software: Chocolat, Sublime Text 3

thatjamie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to thatjamie

Old

Well as mentioned previously, the 2nd logo is my favourite, and i think would work best. And I agree with you Amaze on the name, it is very brandable even if it doesn't hold any significant meaning.

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >