Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 649 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Marketplace     Services Offered / Looking to Hire     Graphic or Web Design :

RJW Collective NY is Hiring Interns!

Thread title: RJW Collective NY is Hiring Interns!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
04-15-2010, 11:39 PM
Bryan Le is offline Bryan Le
Expertise:
Software:

Bryan Le is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Bryan Le Send a message via MSN to Bryan Le

Old

A couple of things!

Firstly, thanks for making this thread a sticky. I did receive your email to which I'll be replying when I have some time to write a well thought out response.

In regard to Jordan's concerns, they are very real, and very encouraging to see someone point them out. She's right in that it is definitely illegal to have work done by an intern that immediately benefits the company with pay. Interns, especially in this industry - mostly work on banner ads, and small design revisions. I'm giving a much more thorough internship program. If what Jordan says concerns you, then I suggest you look for a different career path.

We currently have 4 interns. 3 more are starting in the Summer.

That being said, as written in my original post, there is a stipend involved. You are fairly compensated for your time in many different ways - whether monetary, or not - these are terms that are negotiated before your internship. There is always some form of payment. College credit is considered payment. Lunch is considered payment. There are many ways around this. It's a very loopy system, and I am not saying or encouraging anyone to do an internship for free where the company benefits. But as Art pointed out, the opportunity is to learn... an experience in itself. We are NOT out to take advantage of anyone.

I did an unpaid internship and it has put me where I am today. If you are looking to do something with your life in this field, I highly suggest that you follow those footsteps. Jordan, I don't fault you for bringing up what you did - but let it be known that it is not mine, or anyone's intention to take advantage of ANYONE. That WILL not happen, and is not happening.

If you've any concerns, don't hesitate to bring them up. I'll be more then happy to answer.

05-02-2010, 01:54 PM
kye is offline kye
Expertise:
Software:

kye is on a distinguished road

Old

great for any young and upcoming designer. I hope you find your guy/girl!

I second that internship is a sure way to gain some experience and taste for an industry such as this, the money is the last thing that should be motivating someone in a creative position. It will open countless doors to pursue an excellent career in one of the best industries of the modern world.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2