Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1063 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

Suggestion

Thread title: Suggestion
04-07-2012, 02:36 AM
jasonm56 is offline jasonm56
Expertise: xhtml/css, jquery, php, mysql
Software:

jasonm56 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jasonm56

Old  Suggestion

I was thinking about Derek Lapps thread on why we use TF. He made a good point that I was trying to get at. He basically said there are a lot of people browsing, but nobody posting.

To solve this, I think it would be a good idea to hide/lock certain sections for members only. Either do them for current ones (I wouldn't know which ones to do) or make some that would be really useful for the people just browsing. It'll urge them to join and maybe spark more interaction.

Currently there are 4 members and 198 people browsing (they can't all be bots).

Thanked by:
Artashes (04-07-2012)
04-07-2012, 03:26 AM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Jason, thank you for taking the time to give your suggestion.

It is an interesting concept, and I think it might somewhat work, although I have never done anything like this before on any forum. What I am actually thinking here is possibly extend it a bit further. I was conversing with Adam (creativetaurus.com) recently and he also proposed an interesting idea of a closed forum, except in this case members will be manually accepted after a review who would throw ideas around, collaborate, provide valuable feedback to each other. Adam's idea was about the creation of a tight-knit approved designer/developer area mostly dedicated on design feedback. However, I am wondering if we can push it even further...

What if we were to marry the two concepts into one and create the private forum(s) (1 for design, 1 for partnerships/business), but members will have to earn their right to be a part of those forums. I am afraid that if we were just to create forums that would become visible/open to guests once they register, that would not at all stimulate any activity, a quality one on top of that. After all, the challenge with TF is not in the conversion of sign-ups, it is in its quality and the quality of contributions. So, if there was further motivation to get into an elite group of freelancers who care, help and work with each other (perhaps even get some extra benefits), that might spark the interest to participate more actively and make valuable/helpful contributions, which would be the only way to get noticed. Unless, of course, in the event when they are new members, they arrive with high-end credentials and solid track record already.

What does everyone think about it?

04-07-2012, 03:31 AM
smacklan is offline smacklan
Expertise: Design, Business
Software: Everything

smacklan is on a distinguished road

Old

My own personal point of view (very limited, mind you) is I would stop coming here altogether (not that I would be missed) if I had to compete to be a part of some club just on the outside chance I could do some business. Not sure how many other's feel as I do or would even bother expressing it if they do. You've got to have something to offer to entice me to put forth the effort which you currently do not have and just making things private wouldn't change that.

04-07-2012, 03:44 AM

Old

I think this might have been misunderstood a bit. I think Adam's idea was about design feedback first and foremost. Without taking anything away from existing public forums, some designers might feel uncomfortable posting something they are working on openly (especially if it is valuable) and would much rather ask for feedback from a group of designers they know they can trust to be responsible and professional. On top of that, they'd receive a higher quality feedback from this group of people.

Originally Posted by smacklan View Post
You've got to have something to offer to entice me to put forth the effort which you currently do not have and just making things private wouldn't change that.

What could that something be (if you could throw some examples)? I am open to consider anything reasonable.

Thanked by:
smacklan (04-07-2012)
04-07-2012, 03:56 AM
smacklan is offline smacklan
Expertise: Design, Business
Software: Everything

smacklan is on a distinguished road

Old

That makes more sense Artashes, thanks for the clarification, and I agree that might be a good idea.

My suggestions are probably not anything you, directly, could fulfill I don't think. My use of this forum is, and has most always been, strictly for business to find exceptional one-off designs. I was looking through my old records and I have spent nearly $10k on designs here in the last 6 or so years. I'm sure there are other's like me but I very seldom see anything I would pay top dollar for anymore and haven't in a long time. If the potential for freelancers to make that kind of money from someone like me were more promoted or known, it might change. Again, I'm not sure how you could influence that, however.

Thanked by:
Artashes (04-07-2012)
04-07-2012, 04:06 AM
jasonm56 is offline jasonm56
Expertise: xhtml/css, jquery, php, mysql
Software:

jasonm56 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jasonm56

Old

I think the original idea of Adam's may work. I have a very tight-nit private facebook group for internet-startup entrepreneurs. It is more focused on the business side of the things then it is on the website design and creation. It was made for bouncing ideas, generating better business and revenue models as well as general networking. I'm still working on building the group up (I just started this week). It's a great way to network with like minded invididuals. Most of them have great business skills. Some have been project managers for very successful start-ups. One owns a finance site and makes 400k a year. One is a successful e-bayer. It's quite a diverse group (even though there is only 6 of us lol).

My main question is how would freelancers help each other? Especially an elite group vs a regular open forum one? Many of the people on here just offer certain services and don't seem to be in the actual business of building online business sites (freelancing is a business in itself, but I'm talking like creating services other than design, coding, seo). If most of the people are just designers and coders, what is there to offer other than those 2 things?

don't get me wrong, I would always like feedback from other individuals, but would it be that necessary to create some sort of elite group for it? Chances are if you are that knowledgeable and good at something you don't need others opinions.

Thanked by:
Artashes (04-07-2012)
04-07-2012, 05:14 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I don't like the idea of putting anything behind a register wall. I've lost count of accounts I've registered with a name like IJustWantOneFile or NotHereForTheForum. All it does is make people begrudgingly register to get past the wall. I seriously doubt that it will increase the quality or the frequency of postings.

A good portion of the guests we see are from Google, likely with a programming or design question. They simply would not be here with a register wall.

04-07-2012, 07:46 AM

Old

Good points, smacklan & jasonm56

Village Genius, the registration is still routine, no accounts have to be created manually. This is merely a private forum that is part of the general forum where members are added to based on some kind of review process.

04-07-2012, 11:27 AM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup
Software: Photoshop

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

Hi guys - thanks for the feedback on my idea presented to Artashes.

Just to explain it in a little bit more detail. The idea came to me when I was just looking at the homepage and looking at the forums more towards the bottom, and I asked myself 1 question, why do I not post in any of those?

These areas I would say have to become more visible. These areas are the core reason of this forum. Freelancers help other freelancers alike in those sections.

But going back to my question that I asked myself, why do I not post there? I could only think of 1 answer. The 'designer' friends of mine are mostly well-known, probably not even members here, but when I ask them for feedback / criticism on my work or if they ask me for feedback what I get is far more better than what I would get from the design & development forums on here.

Which then led me to another question, simply.. why? So after some thought I could only come up with 1 logical answer. Well-known and / or highly experienced designers / developers / businessmen, will only 'want' feedback from those people like them. A designer with 20 years experience, may not even read or take in - feedback from a member / designer thats not been around very long.

I've even noticed it myself, back when I was starting out, no known designer on these forums wanted anything to do with me. Mostly because its tiresome to explain things to someone with little understanding or knowledge / experience.

I believe we are secretly - unconciously seperated into groups. Just think about that for a second and ask yourself this, how many 'new/beginner' designers or coders or businessmen do I know and talk to regularly?

You can only really ask that question if you are well-experienced. If not, you are probably one of them and can answer that question with a double figure.

Beginners / Moderate designers, coders, businessmen, either go about their own way to find their own ground, or they befriend people like them to discuss each others work.

If i ask myself, if I befriend a beginner - could he truely help me, could he give me the feedback that I really need? The answer is no.

So to my idea, the current forums would slightly change in terms of visibility and importance. Which will bring back some of the foundations as it becomes more active. These forums would be open. Open to all existing members no matter what type of freelancer you are.

This private forum, or 'secret clan as someone calls it, will only consists of approved freelancers, those with tonnes of experience and a good ground to show it. People can apply, however it will mostly be invite-only. This elite area of designers / coders and businessmen would be able to feedback and liase with each other just the same as I do amongst my designer friends privately - and we can be certain to get quality feedback - feedback that we are looking for.

However, some of us 'elite players, may have a heart to help out some of the beginners / moderate freelancers, which would be found on the open forums, and if one chooses to do so, they can be thanked which would increase ones reputation etc.

Hope that explains it a bit more for you, I tried not to be too vague.

Thanks,
Adam.

06-04-2012, 04:31 AM
domino214 is offline domino214
Expertise: Writer
Software: Word/Excel

domino214 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to domino214

Old

My own personal thoughts on this that while the concept is a good idea I am not sure how beneficial it would be to the site as a whole. If longstanding members migrate to their own special club area the normal members will lose the benefit of their expertise in answering questions within the open forums.

Thanked by:
Artashes (06-05-2012)