Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1163 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     General Discussion :

.JPEG img ICONS.

Thread title: .JPEG img ICONS.
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
01-13-2006, 02:46 AM
Rannek is offline Rannek
Expertise:
Software:

Rannek is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Rannek

Old  .JPEG img ICONS.

Alright, here's the deal. I dunno how this happened, but anywhere on my desktop, folders, or wherever a JPG file is, the icon looks way different. It looks like the icon that shows up when it cant find the program to open it with. But it seems to be opening fine. Im just wondering why the icon looks different, it kind of bugs me too....

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/3744/jpgs7zv.jpg

If anyone knows how to fix it to be the regular icon, that'd be very appreciated. Thanks

01-13-2006, 03:21 AM
mmorales is offline mmorales
Expertise:
Software:

mmorales is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to mmorales

Old

happend to me before, i had to assign a custom icon graphic, not sure how to restore.

had to go: From a Windows Expolrer Window < Tools < Folder Options < File Types (select jpeg) < Advanced (change the icon & save)

01-13-2006, 04:05 AM
boulevard 86 is offline boulevard 86
Software:

boulevard 86 is on a distinguished road

Old

It usually happens if you removed a program that was set as the default app to open the file. So say you used photoshop to open all .jpg files and you uninstalled photoshop, or you changed it from the default "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer", it would change.

Try to open one, and when the "Open With" dialog comes up, choose the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" and the set it as default, or whatever program you want to open it with.

01-13-2006, 06:33 AM
Dray is offline Dray
Expertise:
Software:

Dray is on a distinguished road

Old

Just goto Tools>Folder options and set the file types from there....OR alternatively right click on a jpg with SHIFT and go Open With...and pick a program. That should fix it. Good luck.

01-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Marky is offline Marky
Expertise:
Software:

Marky is on a distinguished road

Old

Right click file - open with... - adobe or whatever program you use

01-13-2006, 08:43 AM
farcannell is offline farcannell
Expertise:
Software:

farcannell is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to farcannell

Old

Yes, like marky said, assign a new program to that file, and it will be working again

01-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Rannek is offline Rannek
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Its strange though, because i have it so its set to OPEN WITH "Windows Picture & Fax Viewer". But the program is still there and it does work when i open it. But the icon is just not looking right. I understand that when the program is removed, thats how the ICON looks, but the program is still there and working. I dont know how, but some how a "ghost" or something must of deleted the .ICO file maybe...... lol?

01-13-2006, 07:55 PM
makemedie is offline makemedie
Software:

makemedie is on a distinguished road

Old

Dont know what the cause of the problem might be, there's numerous, however, there's ways to fix it.

Either assign all JPEG's new icons, or assign JPEG's a new software to open with, and then change it back to the Windows Picture & Fax Viewer.

Have you checked if its just JPEG's that do this? What about GIF's and PNG's?

01-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Rannek is offline Rannek
Expertise:
Software:

Old

Originally Posted by makemedie
Dont know what the cause of the problem might be, there's numerous, however, there's ways to fix it.

Either assign all JPEG's new icons, or assign JPEG's a new software to open with, and then change it back to the Windows Picture & Fax Viewer.

Have you checked if its just JPEG's that do this? What about GIF's and PNG's?
Well, the GIF, and JPG open with WINDOWS picture & fax viewer, but the .PNG open with IMAGEREADY CS. What the strange this is though, even though both GIF and JPG open with the same program, their icons are really weird. They look like their from the windows 98 xD. You can see in the preview. But yes, all of them open with eachother except the .PNG's. Only thing im having problem with now is GIF and JPG...

EDIT, even after i changed the program to open with something else, it still has the same icon. This is what i did. First i right clicked on the JPG icons and went to PROPERTIES. Then i selected them to open with ADOBE PHOTOSHOP. The icon was still the same. I changed it to open with PAINT, still the same icon. Somethings mest up, i dunno if its a virus, spyware, or w/e.... I just need some help xD.

01-13-2006, 08:16 PM
makemedie is offline makemedie
Software:

makemedie is on a distinguished road

Old

There's another thing you can try -

Open up your folder, click Tools >> Folder Options. In this panel, open up the "File Types" tab, and scroll down to JPEG, click Advanced, then click Change Icon.

Now, you have to be rather careful here since you'll be going through some important system files. Click Browse and then browse through to this folder - C:\WINDOWS\System32

Once you're in that folder, scroll to the right till you find the file "shimgvw.dll". Select this file, and click "Open". Select your icon from the little list there, and click OK. Repeat the entire process for JPG files (since you only did JPEG), and GIF files too.

Hope this helps

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >