Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 996 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Programming :

Programmers Not Needed?

Thread title: Programmers Not Needed?
12-17-2010, 05:50 PM
FreeStylencer is offline FreeStylencer
Software:

FreeStylencer is an unknown quantity at this point

Old  Programmers Not Needed?

I'm not a programmer but I meddle with code here and there and can tweak some big pieces of code successfully. Since snippets of programming languages and one button ready to install solutions are widely available do you think that programming will lack of job offers in the future?

12-17-2010, 07:31 PM
chaka42 is offline chaka42
Expertise:
Software:

chaka42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to chaka42 Send a message via MSN to chaka42 Send a message via Skype™ to chaka42

Old

I doubt it. Clients always want something different than what's out there, or they want it done a different way. I prefer to work with programmers that can not only edit existing scripts, but write custom scripts. It happens more often than you might think.

12-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

Custom programming is not becoming obsolete. Even though there are lots of snippets out there they cant just be dragged and dropped.

12-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Software:

Old

I guess there will always be clients who would want something new and original. Custom programming will always be needed. But I think that more and more people will get educated towards using ready solutions like WordPress and Joomla.

12-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Old

Thats incorrect on two accounts. The first is that clients are not getting more educated, they hire freelancers because they don't know anything about websites and really don't care to. While many may know of wordpress, it doesn't mean they know how to use it. The second is that wordpress and joomla are plug and play solutions for the majority of problems; they are not. Even when using a CMS a lot of custom programing often needs to be done. Sometimes working with the CMS can actually make the task take longer or be more complex so it is not always done.

Perhaps you are somewhat mistaken as to what type of custom programming jobs normally go around. I've never coded a blog because such a job has never came to me (they all use wordpress or another script), I've never made a news website because they all use Drupal or another CMS. A few of my 100% custom jobs have been a directory script with some very specific functionality, a flight logging site and a secure messaging system that allow users to exchange files (mostly confidential stuff).

12-19-2010, 02:06 AM
Jake B is offline Jake B
Expertise: Coder
Software: Sublime Text, Google Chrome

Jake B is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Jake B

Old

It's pretty much like paying the plumber to fix a leak, the electrician to install something, or the mechanic to fix your car. You just don't really care about that stuff, and therefore you'd rather pay someone else to do it instead because it's simply not worth your time or the hassle. Those are service jobs. Freelancing your programming skills are the same thing. You're providing a service, a specialty, in something that you enjoy doing for people who don't enjoy doing it and are willing to pay you to do the job.

While yes, they might be veered towards the "one click" stuff, you would obviously know that it most likely will not solve all, if any, of their problems. That's where your salesmen experience comes in. This is a crucial element of freelancing and you should be somewhat skilled in that region. If the potential client won't budge, simply hand them a business card and say "Call me if you need something tailored for your needs" or something like that.

People like doing their own thing, and they hired you then they hired you for a reason. Let one-click stuff be, they only fulfill a niche market anyways, but your job isn't dying any time soon. In fact, it's growing at an exploding rate.

Also: programmers are needed to develop a "one-click install" solution anyways.

12-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Software:

Old

I guess when you look at it that way it does make sense. I was speaking from my own experience because most of my previous clients were smart and driven people who wanted to learn how to use their sites.

12-22-2010, 05:15 PM

Old

Originally Posted by FreeStylencer View Post
I guess when you look at it that way it does make sense. I was speaking from my own experience because most of my previous clients were smart and driven people who wanted to learn how to use their sites.
Thats how everyone starts. It all seems so easy at modifying HTML content, then they hit programming and realize they need to hire someone.

To extend on Jake's analogy, sometimes even do it yourself people still need help. I rarely call professionals to do things because I can often figure them out, but the other month I had a drain I could not replace because I could not get it out. Even though I know the basics of replacing stuff I had to call in a plumber because I couldn't remove the damn drain. It was simply beyond my skill level and I wasnt about to become a plumber in order to fix it.