Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1203 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography     The Gallery Showcase :

probably the worst website ever

Thread title: probably the worst website ever
Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
04-03-2005, 05:23 AM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

LMAO at you finding your site being taken apart on here. Sorry for any offence caused by my posting it - but seriously - how can you market yourself as a design company with a site like that?

Please feel free to critique my work - a little more than a coming soon page. My personal portfolio site is at www.yournewdesigner.com, my business site is www.seen.to and my latest personal project is www.contemplate.us

FYI the number of hits you get per day is meaningless in today's market, it's a lot more to do with the number of unique visitors, and even more importantly about the conversion of said visitors.

You do have a very nice car btw... please tell me you didn't earn the money to buy that from Web design?

04-03-2005, 03:25 PM
308gv is offline 308gv
Software:

308gv is on a distinguished road

Old

I don't mind the critique actually. I wouldn't have done the site that way either. There are times when you delegate, can't do it all yourself. The purpose of that site is not to get more business, we get all the referrals we need based on solid results in what we do focus on. (There are other reasons for the site's existence that have nothing to do with this conversation...).
And no, we are not a design company, it is as I said a tiny sideline. Our focus is Facilities and Trade Show Management (Pat) and IS and Software management projects (myself) with occasional subcontracts for other people we need.

Yes, you obviously are a graphic/web designer but then you are also one of the few on that thread to actually have real work out there? Your work doesn't seem to be as similar or cluttered as much of what is out there. It is also mostly intuitive to the user. Everything underneath is tables though, I thought that CSS was the up and coming means of layout?

The majority seem to be teenagers with lots of enthusiasm and energy but not much experience or discipline yet. This is of course the benefit of youth. This will change once they have obligations to temper what they want to do with what needs to be accomplished. Enjoy it while you can, reflect on that later to get energy back :-) This is how I keep mentally young, I wrote my first program (1965) probably before many of their parents were born.

For the BIS site we did count uniques as well as raw hits, with actual show attendance increases traced back in large part to web presence (the demographics of attendees was greatly expanded outside the GTA area). It is the $ result that the customer wanted and received.

The car, well I wanted a Ferrari since 1960's, my 1968 year book entry said Goal: to own a Ferrari, Likely: to drive a Mini. I did both ('61 Mini Cooper in the 60's, now a GT4). I earned my money with strong accomplishments in hardware design, sw architecture, design and implementation and project management skills. I still tinker with HW design. My recents contracts are to get groups out of spreadsheet hell by implementing database and Excel integrated tools using VBA and OWC.

Having said all the above, this thread will spark a redo of the MindTree site :-) so thanks for that 'push'. Just don't expect roll overs, Flash and other bells'n'whistles that don't add value for what we need.

04-03-2005, 03:30 PM
DateinaDash is offline DateinaDash
Expertise:
Software:

DateinaDash is on a distinguished road

Old

Hey, sounds like you're quite an intelligent individual. I actually didn't think the website was that bad, as you say it's a sideline. Congrats on getting the ferrari, it's always nice to accomplise something like that. I look forward to seeing you around these parts more often, you seem to have alot to offer!

04-03-2005, 03:39 PM
jamesyfx is offline jamesyfx
Expertise: Design
Software: TextEdit

jamesyfx is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to jamesyfx

Old

Originally Posted by 308gv
Actually if you take a better look, it is done with Front Page.
Well, Frontpage then.

04-03-2005, 05:28 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

something that looks bad, still looks bad regardless of what 'justifies' it.

04-03-2005, 06:33 PM
seen.to is offline seen.to
Expertise:
Software:

seen.to is on a distinguished road

Old

I don't mind the critique actually. I wouldn't have done the site that way either. There are times when you delegate, can't do it all yourself. The purpose of that site is not to get more business, we get all the referrals we need based on solid results in what we do focus on. (There are other reasons for the site's existence that have nothing to do with this conversation...).
And no, we are not a design company, it is as I said a tiny sideline. Our focus is Facilities and Trade Show Management (Pat) and IS and Software management projects (myself) with occasional subcontracts for other people we need.

Yes, you obviously are a graphic/web designer but then you are also one of the few on that thread to actually have real work out there? Your work doesn't seem to be as similar or cluttered as much of what is out there. It is also mostly intuitive to the user. Everything underneath is tables though, I thought that CSS was the up and coming means of layout?

The majority seem to be teenagers with lots of enthusiasm and energy but not much experience or discipline yet. This is of course the benefit of youth. This will change once they have obligations to temper what they want to do with what needs to be accomplished. Enjoy it while you can, reflect on that later to get energy back :-) This is how I keep mentally young, I wrote my first program (1965) probably before many of their parents were born.

For the BIS site we did count uniques as well as raw hits, with actual show attendance increases traced back in large part to web presence (the demographics of attendees was greatly expanded outside the GTA area). It is the $ result that the customer wanted and received.

The car, well I wanted a Ferrari since 1960's, my 1968 year book entry said Goal: to own a Ferrari, Likely: to drive a Mini. I did both ('61 Mini Cooper in the 60's, now a GT4). I earned my money with strong accomplishments in hardware design, sw architecture, design and implementation and project management skills. I still tinker with HW design. My recents contracts are to get groups out of spreadsheet hell by implementing database and Excel integrated tools using VBA and OWC.

Having said all the above, this thread will spark a redo of the MindTree site :-) so thanks for that 'push'. Just don't expect roll overs, Flash and other bells'n'whistles that don't add value for what we need.
Ahh - I didn't realise you were into so much and that the site was just a sideline I know someone that went to one of your shows (that's how I first happened upon your site) and he said it was good

As for my designs, everything you see there is at least a year old apart from www.contemplate.us - having been designing Web sites professionally since 1997 I got stuck in the process of "HTML Terrorism" - tables for layout and disorganized code. I only started switching to CSS layout 5 or 6 months ago so it's not until my next major project is released (still about 2 weeks from public release) that a full example of my CSS/XHTML coding/design will be viewable. Contemplate.us is all CSS layout but it's pretty simple. I also used CSS layout for yournewdesigner.com but I was just beginning and the coding is horrible and ugly. I also designed one other CSS layout site for a client and the code is lovely but the design, (directed by the client), is not so lovely so it's one that I'll not be putting my name to.

Many congrats on getting the dream car I too aim to own a Ferrari one day... I've already owned about 5 minis but never a cooper - 1275 GT was my best one.

Let me know if you'd like a quote for a clean professional re-design of Mindtree

Best of luck with your multiple ventures.

04-03-2005, 07:23 PM
sm0ke is offline sm0ke
Expertise:
Software:

sm0ke is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to sm0ke Send a message via MSN to sm0ke

Old

lol. wow. worse than my designs. or is that called a design??

04-03-2005, 07:38 PM
308gv is offline 308gv
Software:

308gv is on a distinguished road

Old

Hi Derek.l
Ok, I agree but there is a wonderful phrase I learned. 'Close enough'. Other ways you will hear it are 'Dont confuse activity with progress', 'Aim for success, not perfection' etc. Not excuses but a useful approach to get through life.

To All,

Thanks for helping me find this site, there are no coincidences. It was purely by chance that the talkfreelance url showed up in the Referred from list at Netfirms (they host my various sites)

04-03-2005, 07:54 PM
derek lapp is offline derek lapp
Expertise:
Software:

derek lapp is on a distinguished road

Old

Hi Derek.l
Ok, I agree but there is a wonderful phrase I learned. 'Close enough'. Other ways you will hear it are 'Dont confuse activity with progress', 'Aim for success, not perfection' etc. Not excuses but a useful approach to get through life.
useful they may be, but they depend on your inteprestions though. i don't see 'close enough' as ever being something but related to failure -- one shouldn't caim to do something they can't do.

those are more market specific things -- people interested in auto detailing and having medicore cars look like they're amazing - IE teenagers - look for things like that.

however, regardless of market, somethings and simply fundemanetal. my advice to you is to steer away from comc sans.

04-03-2005, 08:16 PM
YoungCoder is offline YoungCoder
Software:

YoungCoder is on a distinguished road

Old

http://www.pslworkplace.co.uk is pretty damn lame!

Closed Thread  
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >