Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,471
There are 1230 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     TalkFreelance Information     Suggestions and Feedback :

NEW TALKFREELANCE DESIGN - Feedback & suggestions wanted.

Thread title: NEW TALKFREELANCE DESIGN - Feedback & suggestions wanted.
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
11-13-2011, 09:41 PM
procrusher is offline procrusher
Expertise: Logo Design
Software: Photoshop/Illustrator

procrusher is on a distinguished road

Old

Very nice! Great work!

11-14-2011, 12:35 PM
cpr is offline cpr
Expertise: Design
Software: Photoshop

cpr is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Aesthetics aside, nothing has changed. You've discarded most functionality added to aid usability from the previous prototype.

It's just an eye candy version of vBulletin lollygagging. Unoriginal and a waste of time.

I was hoping for pedantic elements that improve upon vBulletin's structure. Instead CPR caved and gave you social media icons, trivial join dates & post counts, etc.

Eternally optimistic. Perpetually disappointed.
Stop being bitter Dan. I'm still trying to figure out what all the functionality was that you added to aid usability. I think you need to remind yourself that Talk Freelance is still a forum, we aren't trying to create a new product here.

11-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

If you see my post as bitter than there is weight to what I'm saying, because I'm certainly not trying to be bitter.

I've written multiple threads and posts on the functionality within the staff forum, read them.

I believe way too many designers have the incorrect mindset when designing. For example, it's evident you have returned to designing for vBulletin/forum software rather than a real user.

Thanked by:
Samshelton22 (05-05-2012)
11-14-2011, 04:24 PM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

What im about to say is no grudge or offence against anyone.

@Dan, you argument that you designed with the viewer in mind, that you had the correct mindset, blah blah blah, all in which case is just a response for losing the vote. Yes?

Furthermore, i'm not sure if you've actually done this, but try and open both designs in seperate tabs. And quickly switch between them. Notice a difference?

Ok now take a look at your design, focus on the top 500px (height) and look all the way across, remember that... now do the same for chris's design.

Still don't see what it is?

Well its simple, aesthetics, details, those tiny little textures, borders and effort put in to it, is what got peoples votes.

A so-so designer will argue to why his is better. A good designer will take on board everyone's comments. A good designer is chris.

It is also evident that a good designer who has usability in his design, can not find it in yours.

Yes you may be upset about the outcome, and upset that you spent all this time on it. But if you still can't understand, do some detail investigation. Just from looking at it myself for like 20 mins, both designs have the exact same structure. So i don't know why your going all willy nilly about chris's design behind like something else. So with both of your designs having the same structure, its then all down to colors, texture, placement, fonts, etc etc. Keep comparing.. you'll eventually see that Chris's design is better.

If not, i've got some tissues somewhere.

Thanked by:
Gaz (11-14-2011)
11-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Dan is offline Dan
Software:

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

Old

Why do you think I am upset and why are you so angry? We're not discussing my prototype. Nobody is comparing.

Nevertheless, I will humour you.

You understand the structure came from me. I took intuitive to build something before even consulting Artashes. CPR and others had the opportunity to design TF long before I, did you have a chance to compare them too?

I'm never contempt with my level of work, and I'm always looking to improve and constantly learning. I prototyped my version of TF little over a year ago, I've changed so much since then, and I would do a lot of things differently now.

This is why I resigned as staff. I'm not a yes man. I will voice my opinion regardless if it's popular. I don't appreciate your smug attitude towards me. I have not been immature, rude or intollerably to anyone. I digress.

Unfortunately the poll Artashes set-up used one of my poorer pages that admittedly wasn't up to standards. I sliced and diced that structure so much in other pages you did not see. If Artashes had gave both designs equal opportunity I'm sure the poll wouldn't of been one-sided. Again, I digress.

It is also evident that a good designer who has usability in his design, can not find it in yours.
CPR took most of my elements. I think you're talking gibberish and trying to sound smart. Sorry.

11-14-2011, 06:11 PM
creativejen is offline creativejen
Expertise: design, front-end markup

creativejen is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via MSN to creativejen

Old

This design "http://danielhellier.com/portfolio/talkfreelance/" wasn't brought to my screen from the initial post. This is what i saw; http://www.talkfreelance.com/vote/da...gation-off.png

The version you just linked to, is much different, i'll give you that.

I'm not being smug, you must take into consideration a bit of character in my words, like i said on the first sentence, no grudges no offences to be made. Relax a little yeah.

But anyway, now that you point out this design (linked to on your site), turns the matter in to a different story.

Why are the links different? Artashes?

11-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Adam S. is offline Adam S.
Expertise: Coding / programming
Software: NotePad

Adam S. is on a distinguished road

Old

Wow, what happened to everyone getting along? This flame-war has turned me off of TalkFreelance. Everyone should just sit tight and see if the new skin is coming, I mean the voting process has been done for some time and it is what it is. I personally would have loved Dans' design that he just pointed out, but I guess it wasn't what it came down to.

On that note, Dan I have sent you a PM.

Thanked by:
Artashes (11-17-2011)
12-23-2011, 08:10 PM
nj1 is offline nj1
Expertise: designer
Software: Notepad

nj1 is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by cpr View Post
Most of you will have come across the thread asking you to pick the new TF design (here). It ran for a good while and mine was the favoured one so we are now looking to press ahead with finishing it off and getting it active.

The design can be found at the following link; http://www.talkfreelance.com/vote/chris/

What I'd like to hear is peoples feedback and criticism, along with any ideas / changes people would like to see to improve it......

Cheers
I'm just reporting a broken link ( the one mentioned above)
please feel free to delete my post afterwards.
(-

12-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Artashes is offline Artashes
Expertise: Media, business development
Software: Excel, Pen&Paper, Slack, Figma

Artashes is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by nj1 View Post
I'm just reporting a broken link ( the one mentioned above)
please feel free to delete my post afterwards.
(-

If you are able to respond then that link is definitely up and running just fine.

12-23-2011, 08:58 PM
nj1 is offline nj1
Expertise: designer
Software: Notepad

nj1 is on a distinguished road

Old

Ok, I get it, everything is just as intended.
Have a great holiday season!
cheers!

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >