Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1298 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Contracts, Business and Legal Help :

Gut feeling says no, but money says yes.

Thread title: Gut feeling says no, but money says yes.
Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
08-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Dalarist is offline Dalarist
Software:

Dalarist is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Dalarist Send a message via MSN to Dalarist

Old  Gut feeling says no, but money says yes.

I've run into a problem recently, a client of mine has me writing some intricate front end software for robotics, and has been quite late and delinquent on getting me the source code of the machines, so that I can properly communicate between them.

I just received and e-mail from him that he wants me to set up an e-commerce lingire (sp) website, as in naughty costumes, in time for Halloween. I'm uncertain of how to proceed.

The front end is for a flat fee, part on completion, part on the first order filled.

The site is for a percentage of profits, and a partnership.

I've just started working freelance, in fact this is my first client, and I'm very uncertain of how to proceed. Feel free to contact me any way possible, as I need a rather speedy decision.

08-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Software:

Old

Clarification, in case I seem hurried and didn't communicate well.

What would you do? Do I trust him still? Do I follow my gut or the almighty dollar? I'm searching for a little guidance.

08-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Village Genius is offline Village Genius
Expertise: Software
Software: Chrome, Notepad++

Village Genius will become famous soon enough

Old

I personally never work for a percentage of revenue because you are fully reliant on his and others to make it work out. My advice is only work for a flat fee; if he wont let you do it, there may be a reason. For all you know he could intentionally make this unsuccessful and go somewhere else with the script. You would been fully scammed and he would have a free script.

08-27-2007, 02:43 AM
Software:

Old

Should I start being suspect of the front end of the robotics that I'm writing? especially in light that he has yet to give me all the information to complete the project after almost 3 weeks?

08-27-2007, 02:52 AM

Old

Originally Posted by Dalarist View Post
Should I start being suspect of the front end of the robotics that I'm writing? especially in light that he has yet to give me all the information to complete the project after almost 3 weeks?
If its been that long, yes. Remember, give him nothing till you have been paid. Here is my policy on termination/postpone of project due to no communication

5. Termination
I reserve the right to terminate or postpone the project without refund of any kind if the clients falls out of contact for seven or more consecutive days without announcing leave. Falling out of contact is defined as not replying to a question or not being present for a part where client is clearly needed. If client announces leave, the project deadline may be delayed the number days the client is on leave if a question of procedure comes up. If I cancel a project, I keep the deposit and any of my original work as stated in section 1. If I postpone a project, I may put it to the side and engage in other projects. If the client returns he will have to wait till I am free again to resume the project. When I resume will be identical to a new client as defined in section 2. Another upfront fee may apply.

08-27-2007, 02:58 AM
Software:

Old

We have been in contact, just delay after delay, approaching a third party's deadline. I can't help but think this should have been so much easier than this.

I suppose I'll try and negotiate a flat fee for the site, after completion of the front end, and spur him into motion, though this deal is looking less and less on the level so to speak.

08-27-2007, 02:59 AM

Old

We have been in contact, just delay after delay, approaching a third party's deadline. I can't help but think this should have been so much easier than this.

I suppose I'll try and negotiate a flat fee for the site, after completion of the front end, and spur him into motion, though this deal is looking less and less on the level so to speak.
Hmm, I would back off of this one. Avoid difficult clients, you will never walk out of it happy.

08-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Software:

Old

Sorry for the very apparent inexperience on my part, as I said this was my first project, and it just fell into my lap.

I was hoping to get something to get a good previous work portfolio started.

I suppose you're right though, you speak with a great amount of sense. I think you've helped me out significantly, thank you.

08-27-2007, 03:14 AM

Old

Sorry for the very apparent inexperience on my part, as I said this was my first project, and it just fell into my lap.
Everyone starts somewhere, I could see it being a tough call.

I was hoping to get something to get a good previous work portfolio started.
If you want portfolio works, start with smaller and cheaper scripts. An E-commerce script probably isn't the best first professional work. I would recommend going to the budget programming section and taking on a project or two from there. After that make a smallish open source script and you should have enough going for you to get projects.

I suppose you're right though, you speak with a great amount of sense. I think you've helped me out significantly, thank you.
Always glad to help.

08-28-2007, 01:44 AM
Software:

Old

As a resolution to this story, I fired him off an e-mail (our primary communication) and declined the web work, but asked to refocus on the robotics, seeing as I am 75% done with the front end. He then threw a hissy fit, calling me names and 'firing' me.

You're absolutely right, no way to be happy with a flaky client.

Closed Thread  
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >