Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 2151 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Business and Website Management     Advertising, SEO and Social Marketing :

How do you select your keywords?

Thread title: How do you select your keywords?
Closed Thread    
11-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Jmz is offline Jmz
Expertise:
Software:

Jmz is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Jmz

Old  How do you select your keywords?

What methods do you use to select keywords for your sites?

11-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Sahil is offline Sahil
Expertise:
Software:

Sahil is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to Sahil Send a message via MSN to Sahil

Old

Wordze.

11-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Haris is offline Haris
Software:

Haris is on a distinguished road

Old

First, You have to think of a keyword which you are interested in because you're going to stay with that particular keyword for a long time. If you don't know about it but want to know about it, then it's a good idea to develop that keyword since you're going to learn as you go. (Opinions may differ).

After you've thought a keyword, you have to do the research to see if it's worth putting time in that keyword.

Head over to digitalpoint and check if the 'keyword' gets enough searches. I can see many people are searching for "money" daily. Enough searches are 500+ searches.

After that, you need to check estimated average CPC which the advertiser usually offers on adwords. On the Keyword tool, enter a keyword and press "Get Keyword Ideas". After the data has loaded, select "Estimated Avg CPC" from the select list. Select USD as the currency and enter a normal amount to a input field. (50 is usually a good number). Keyword money avg cpc is "$2.77".

So far, it's a good keyword.

Now, lets check the competition. Type the keyword as a query to google and you'll see top 10 listings. For my case, I see CNN Money and the first listing. Tough! Now signup for a free trial at WordTracker. I know WordTracker isn't accurate but it gives you a idea of how hard or how easy the competition is.

The higher the KEI, the easier the competition. For the term "money", I got the following results. 0.052 means quite difficult.

Nos KEI Analysis, Count, 24Hrs, Competing, Keyword
================================================== =
1, 0.052, 6582, 1045, 839000000, money

11-28-2007, 05:40 AM
jabberwocky is offline jabberwocky
Expertise:
Software:

jabberwocky is on a distinguished road

Old

Something I learned a while ago about what our users, potential clients and current clients where using for words to desscribe my employeer. We though they where using words like "consoles" or "control room" but after talking to the users, we found out they used words like "technical furniture" and some other ones we had no idea about. It's almost like two different languages where being used. Something to consider.

11-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Seb is on a distinguished road

Old

Just imagine you are the user searching for what you require...what would you search? Then do some variations on the keywords.

11-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Haris is offline Haris
Software:

Haris is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Just imagine you are the user searching for what you require...what would you search? Then do some variations on the keywords.
I like your idea but if I didn't found anything related with what the keyword, I usually write it in my notepad under the "to consider" heading since I believe in "Necessity is the mother of invention" but can you elaborate this part:

Then do some variations on the keywords.

11-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Seb is offline Seb
Expertise:
Software:

Seb is on a distinguished road

Old

Originally Posted by Haris View Post
I like your idea but if I didn't found anything related with what the keyword, I usually write it in my notepad under the "to consider" heading since I believe in "Necessity is the mother of invention" but can you elaborate this part:
So for example, if one of the keyword phrases you chose to go for was 'chicago accommodation' you could also try 'chicago self catering', 'chicago place to stay' etc. A thesaurus may help in some cases.

12-25-2007, 02:03 AM
cotopaxi360 is offline cotopaxi360
Software:

cotopaxi360 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to cotopaxi360

Old

One tool I use a lot is Gtrends from WordTracker...

WordTracker GTrends

Type in a keyword and WordTracker suggests all the keywords along with the approximate searches for each one. But that's not the good part...

... Next to each keyword is a little graph icon. Click it and you get taken to a page containing actual Google data on how many searches there are daily for that keyword.

You also get a summary of the number of competitors for each keyword!

01-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Red_Virus is offline Red_Virus
Software:

Red_Virus is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Red_Virus

Old

I use the free tool from GoodKeywords.com and also the paid tool from Wordtracker for my research.

01-13-2008, 06:11 PM
sandanista is offline sandanista
Software:

sandanista is on a distinguished road

Old

I use http://tools.seobook.com/keyword-tools/seobook/ Once I've optimized for any keywords however I find that my sites stats are the best tool to use to modify my seo campaign.

Closed Thread