Navigation
Marketplace
  Members Login:
Lost password?
  Forum Statistics:
Forum Members: 24,254
Total Threads: 80,792
Total Posts: 566,472
There are 1456 users currently browsing (tf).

Our Partners:

TalkFreelance     Design and Development     Graphic Design, Multimedia and Photography :

How much is "artistic ability" a requirement for logo design?

Thread title: How much is "artistic ability" a requirement for logo design?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
09-15-2008, 04:53 PM
StudentBlogger is offline StudentBlogger
Software:

StudentBlogger is on a distinguished road

Old  How much is "artistic ability" a requirement for logo design?

I was just curious how important everyone considers artistic ability in the ability to design good logo concepts.

Obviously I'm not talking basic art skills here like coming up with the concepts (what I'd refer to as an artistic mind) but things such as the ability to draw.

Can you get away with just basic rough sketching skills, or do you think you need more skills?

09-23-2008, 09:03 AM
PPFAH is offline PPFAH
Software:

PPFAH is on a distinguished road

Old

I know this is a generic response, but I would say it has to deal with the specific logo and who the logo is for. In general, I believe that when it comes to just the concept designing, sketching is fine.

09-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Salathe is offline Salathe
Expertise: Software Development
Software: vim, PHP

Salathe will become famous soon enough

Send a message via MSN to Salathe

Old

The ability to draw (I assume you mean with traditional hand tools) would be beneficial but I'd argue that it isn't necessary or at least isn't highest on the list of attribtutes needed to create logos in the digital world.

I think that creativity, an artistic, imaginative mind, is more important than technical ability. Taking two people, one who is brimming with creativity but is only proficient with drawing tools, and one who somewhat lacks inspiration but is a master artist when it arrives... the former will be my choice every time.

As an aside, I've been designing logos on and off for many years. I have, honestly, not got a particularly creative mind and cannot draw (pencil on paper) to save my life. However, I can sketch out the dozens of ideas for any particular logo venture on paper (very crudely!) and embellish those in my head before transferring those ideas into something real (as real as digital images get). So, yes, I'd say that you definitely can get away with rough sketching skills. If I can do it, anyone can!

09-23-2008, 11:10 AM
MsJacquiiC is offline MsJacquiiC
Expertise:
Software:

MsJacquiiC is an unknown quantity at this point

Send a message via AIM to MsJacquiiC Send a message via MSN to MsJacquiiC Send a message via Yahoo to MsJacquiiC

Old

Well - manual art creation is a lot different than technically drawing with photoshop or PhotoImpact (my personal choice...) I'd say it's important that you have a concept put togehter for logo creation and an artistic mind is a must, (ie. knowing which colors work together, principles of shading for realistic 3d effects, knowledge of various software, etc...)

Jacquii.

12-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Sean Michael is offline Sean Michael
Software:

Sean Michael is on a distinguished road

Old

You need an eye for design, that much is certain. It has to be something that catches the eye, and makes you remember the company.

12-22-2008, 01:02 AM
cavale is offline cavale
Expertise:
Software:

cavale is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to cavale Send a message via Yahoo to cavale Send a message via Skype™ to cavale

Old

I must start designing logos soon

12-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Brecon is offline Brecon
Expertise:
Software:

Brecon is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Brecon

Old

I find that the pen tool in photoshop is a handy counterpart and considering i lack in sketching skills my pen tool skills are rapidly increasing as its hand eye coordination rather then sketching skills being used. Often it does depend on the logo but i find that my lacking in sketching skills does not hinder me.

04-09-2009, 12:51 PM
XENON Designs is offline XENON Designs
Expertise:
Software:

XENON Designs is on a distinguished road

Old

i would consider it very important because you must be able to tell how functional a logo will be for the company and if it will effectively convey their product and or service

04-09-2009, 06:21 PM
InfernoDevelopment is offline InfernoDevelopment
Expertise:
Software:

InfernoDevelopment is on a distinguished road

Old

If you are using something like illustrator, drawing becomes a lot less necessary. You have tools like the pen tool that allow you to "draw" with the mouse to great precision. I've always found the hardest part is to come up with a workable idea. Once you have that, it is only a matter of time and effort to be able to create your logo.

04-28-2009, 12:00 AM
wvb is offline wvb
Software:

wvb is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to wvb

Old

In my opinion, should be something balanced and aesthetically pleasing. Visually appealing and give the impression of professionalism.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >